Quantcast

presta vs. schrader

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
If you want to run presta, it'd be good to have the little insert/washer to stop the valve from moving around.
Personally, I can't see any advantages for either, I use shraeder as it's alot harder to rip the valve off when using a mini pump. Apart from that, I'd like to know what rear world differences there are for us DH/FR MTB'ers

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
There's a little ferrule thingy you can get that allows you to run presta in a schraeder hole. I get 'em at my LBS. I think if you run 'em without the adapter there's a risk of tearing the presta valve out of the tube.

As far as which is better -- ???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Schrader has an advantage when you're going tubeless, because you can unscrew the core and get a much greater air flow, which lets the tire seal better.

On the other hand, I've not had to take advantage of that because Michelins are so easy to run tubeless :D

I do find that Schrader tubes are more widely available, though, so that's an advantage if you often need tubes on short notice, especially in unfamilliar towns.

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
what do you guys prefer and why? i'm just looking for downhill tubes to stock up on and i am wandering what valve to go with. it's not a problem to get the little washer, i'm sure their a few cents to a dollar

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
BEAUster said:
what do you guys prefer and why? i'm just looking for downhill tubes to stock up on and i am wandering what valve to go with. it's not a problem to get the little washer, i'm sure their a few cents to a dollar
you don't even need that washer (you talking the one that screws on the presta stem right?). I've heard somewhere that they are not safe to use, especially if you use tubular ties.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what is the thing that converts Schraeder to Presta? I'm just curious because I'm now running a Z1 FR on my Belair and it is QR20 - came with a wheel that is Schraeder - but my rear wheel is Presta - so when I ride I need to carry one presta tube and one schraeder - sort of a PITA - if I could convert the front to Presta that would be sweet. Anyone got a photo of what the adaptor looks like?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMcG said:
what is the thing that converts Schraeder to Presta? I'm just curious because I'm now running a Z1 FR on my Belair and it is QR20 - came with a wheel that is Schraeder - but my rear wheel is Presta - so when I ride I need to carry one presta tube and one schraeder - sort of a PITA - if I could convert the front to Presta that would be sweet. Anyone got a photo of what the adaptor looks like?
they are called "Woods Valves"

http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/components/woods.html

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Acadian said:
you don't even need that washer (you talking the one that screws on the presta stem right?). I've heard somewhere that they are not safe to use, especially if you use tubular ties.
Nah, it's an adapter which fits into the schraeder hole in the rim, reducing the diameter to that of a presta stem. I'll see if I can find one online and post the link.

If that was what your question was referring to. If not, my bad.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Acadian said:
Damn you are fast Acadian - thanks - but aren't those specific valved tubes? Is there some type of adapter you can insert into a schraeder hole to allow you to use a presta valved-tube? That's what I need - otherwise I'm still left with carrying two sets of tubes if I flat - a Woods Valve and a Presta.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
lux said:
Nah, it's an adapter which fits into the schraeder hole in the rim, reducing the diameter to that of a presta stem. I'll see if I can find one online and post the link.

If that was what your question was referring to. If not, my bad.
Lux, that's what I'm looking for the adapter that fits into the schraeder hole in the rim.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
while that's a cool idea there's a much simpler device called a presta valve adaptor

They're $0.50 and can be found at any shop. What Beauster really wants though is a grommet that shims down the size of the hole on the rim. I've never actually seen one myself but I know they exist. If it were me I'd just carry one presta tube since the smaller valve stem will fit through the hole in either rim, in an emergency it would work on either wheel. Or you could drill out the rear wheel to be schrader and just run the same tube in both wheels. I see no advantage to presta other than it allows you to have a narrower rim on road bikes.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Wouldn't the presta lock nut fit a schaeder hole nicely? I know alot of them have a taoered side that looks like it would do the trick.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMcG said:
Damn you are fast Acadian - thanks - but aren't those specific valved tubes? Is there some type of adapter you can insert into a schraeder hole to allow you to use a presta valved-tube? That's what I need - otherwise I'm still left with carrying two sets of tubes if I flat - a Woods Valve and a Presta.
I'm confused as to what you are asking for? you talking about the hole in the RIM? like something that can reduce the size of the hole so you can use a presta instead of the Schraeder?

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
so i guess schrader is what i'm looking for? they seem to be convenient since gas stations have compatible pumps. and i guess most dh tube are schrader.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Acadian said:
I'm confused as to what you are asking for? you talking about the hole in the RIM? like something that can reduce the size of the hole so you can use a presta instead of the Schraeder?
exactly something to reduce the size of the hole in the rim.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I've run presta tubes in many different rims drilled for schraeder with no little adapter thingie and have never had a problem with it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I run 521s with the rubber reducer to presta.

I prefer prestas for 3 reasons:
1. They hold pressure better w/o leaking over time and endure higher psi
2. They are easier to fill b/c the valve clamps to the rim and doesn't turtle on you when the tube is deflated
3. You can lock the valve before capping, preventing inadvertant deflation

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rik said:
If you want to run presta, it'd be good to have the little insert/washer to stop the valve from moving around.
No you dont, it will work fine without that (it has for decades).

Schrader or presta, it really doesn't matter to me, BUT, I will always drill my rims out for schrader. Why? So I can use either one, this is especially important when something bad happens, whether it is to me, or to a friend. I've been on more than one ride where someone was screwed because they don't have their rims drilled out. To top it off, I can usually get schrader tubes for 2.99, while prestas are like 3.99. That's a whopping difference in percentage, and over the long run, it adds up.

Anybody see the latest MBA where they talked about this? It was complete BS, lol. They didn't have any valid points to bring up.

Higher PSI with presta? Who is filling their mtb tires up to 100psi?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Jm_ said:
No you dont, it will work fine without that (it has for decades).
Having the grommet/washer/spacer/whatever you want to call it (reduces size of hole), is a good idea in my books, as it stops the valve from wiggling about, thus lessening chances of it being ripped off whilst pumping frantically with a tiny pump on the side of the trail. You know it's happened to everyone, and anything to reduce the chance of it happening is good.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Back to the original question of what are the pro's and con's of each....

The advantages of Presta are the smaller hole in the rim and you can close the valve. The smaller rim hole is a much bigger deal on a road bike with really narrow rims. I have had problems with shraeder when you get a small piece of dirt in the valve seat and the valve won't seal. This can't happen with presta since you can screw the valve close. Presta are also easier to deflate. That said, I run shraeder dh tubes cause they are easier to find at the shop.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
When I run presta I always have a schreader adapter on one of the wheels....so I guess for me Schreader is more convienient but for XC racing I think Presta with its instand release or air quickly is nice. I have a valve remover if I wantto deflate a schreader quickly....it works fine for me.

Drill your holes on your rims to accept schreader because you never know when you might really need a tube and the only option is Schreader. It has happened to me.

eh, i run presta on all my rides. only thing you have to be careful with is the screw thingy. i've busted a few off on the trail. just carry a patch kit and a spare tube. what's the big deal here? just run whatever you feel comfortable with. :thumb:

the only difference i see might be the weight savings? (like that few grams really matters?!?) and the convenience of airing up at the gas station.

R

Rabie

It's best to run presta with clipless pedals, and schrader with flats.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tenchiro said:
Wouldn't the presta lock nut fit a schaeder hole nicely? I know alot of them have a taoered side that looks like it would do the trick.

I've been running presta tubes in a schrader wheel for a while now with no ill effects. I just twist the washer down far enough to hold the valve in place.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
This is a downhill forum, right? Who needs high pressure? Really though I can vouch for the "Turtle effect" mentioned above. And my heavy Hutchinson DH tubes with Schraeder valves suck. I pull the pump off and the valves will stay open unless I pick at them soon after. Do you have to grease them or what? Maybe I should just buck up and buy some new ones. They have served me well by only having one flat(pinched) in the last year and a half. I like Schraeder for all the reasons mentioned.

No rim mods or inserts

No fumbling with adapters on pumps(the small one in your pack, not floor pumps)

Abundance of product

Gas station pumps

V

Vermont

the only reason that presta's became the standard was they were Euro (french) on a road bike that needs 100-120lbs of air you cannot use a shrader...but on a mt bike with 30-50lbs why mess with presta's when they have no benifits only downsides..keep the caps on and you wont get mud in em...:)

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Vermont said:
the only reason that presta's became the standard was they were Euro (french) on a road bike that needs 100-120lbs of air you cannot use a shrader...but on a mt bike with 30-50lbs why mess with presta's when they have no benifits only downsides..keep the caps on and you wont get mud in em...:)
That makes sense...I'm drillin' all my rims soon.

FrBikerGuy

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
Seattle Area
dont know which one is which, but use the fat one. Ive had a whole bunch of flats from the the thingy that u put the pump into bending and letting out air

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive always had drilled rims, and never bother with reducers for the presta. On my trail bike i still run tubes . I have both on that bike right now, but want to put another shrader in so i can put some stans sealant in both wheels. We ride on alot of horse trail. They like to cut the berry vines down and leave them in the trail since they dont care about flats. Recently after another flat, Instead of replacing the tube i took the core out and pumped in some stans sealant. Since then ive never had a flat.

On my Dh bike ive converted to stans with shrader and havnt looked back.