Quantcast

Preston FR for a trail bike?

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Can any one vouch for the Preston FR as a legit DURABLE trail bike?

Iam trying to get in to more XC / shore / all mountain style riding and have a good line on a used one. Of course just like all the other threads about a DHer's trail bike. I am looking for some thing I will feel comfortable on. More so looking for extra fun on the down hill side of the ride. Weight takes a far third to geo and longevity. It is likely that this ride will be involved in (trying to) cuttie, pop, tumble, case, mini huck... generally riding like a hack racer boi DHer.

While most any thing that would require a granny gear will still get walked up. To that end I like the idea of running one ring and chain guild. To keep things simple and tough. Perhaps with a 34 by 11-34 arrangement, any input on the thought would be great.

Linky to the geo, http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/PrestonFR_GeometrySizing.cfm looking at a small, me being 5'6" 150lbs 24 yo, blue eyes, brown hair... sorry wrong forum :hmm:

Edit: I am looking for direct feedback on this bike. I am quite aware that there are a great many other choses. Many may be more in tune with what I want. How ever my bank account does not agree. I have a great opportunity to get this frame completely built, at a price I may pay. Please direct your input specifically to this frame. All other suggestions are welcome, dew consideration with be given. Thanks,
Marry Christmas monkeys.

Last edited:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
your are in the exact position i was a year ago or so. I opted for the bottlerocket with an adjustable fork instead (using the exact drivetrain setup you mentioned) because i like the geo better. It is exactly what I imagined it would be, a heavy trail bike. Works great but don't give yourself any illusions about climbing xc gnar.

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am not talking from experience with this particular bike. However, I did ride my AS-X over some XC/AM trails. The difference with my 575 is noticeable. As much as the AS-X is very plush, unsurprisingly, it is also much slower than my 575 and does not climb well at all. It hurts trying to climb the same stuff I do with my 575.

So if you ride with people with the same kind of bikes then it won't matter much. However, if you ride with people who ride sub-30lbs bikes, the Preston builds average 36-39lbs from the Transition website, then you'll most likely stay behind. It's your call.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so what exactly is the purpose of getting a preston FR vs a BR? seems to be gnarly product overlap....

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
The main reason I made up this post is, thoughts along the lines of Sylvain and Will's. The complete bike I am looking at is in my budget (read hella cheap). While the build isn't exactly what I want, kinda over done DH style. It is so cheap that I could afford to "clean" it up for a more XCish build. While still keeping it tough. How ever I don't want to end up trying to work around a frame that just isn't right... Knowing what may be right seems to elude me. Hence asking for your help monkeys.

Will from what little I gather the Preston is more XC style, geo and feel. It is still slack for and XC bike. So that is what has me interested. I am looking for some thing to complement my DH rig, while still full filling light XC duties.

Kinda feels like my minds made up to get it. The more I think about it. Just listing to see if there is some drastic reason not to get it.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I would and did opt for a BR. the preston isn't as burly. I probably weigh quite a bit more than you though. I'm at 190 now but was as much as 210. The BR can still be built up to climb good too. I've got mine at 36.5lbs with a dhx coil float36 and all deity components. It's light enough to climb but still can handle a beatdown

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
look at the geometry and see what you think, they are good bikes, short travel so it pedals better but less forgiving in the rough stuff, strong enough to handle quite a bit.

BB height and head angle will determine if it is more of a dh or fr feeling bike

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i'd say go for it. if you were cutting down to one bike I would say go with the br but as long as you still have the dh rig, get the preston for sure.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Prestons ride awesome- I think you should do it. Especially if weight doesn't matter- who cares about product overlap with the bottlerocket. As long as you like the geo, I say get it! My buddy has one with a swinger 4-way, and a pike running a chainguide. I've seen him ride down some gnar with it, and I've seen him ride huge xc rides on it and I've ridden it at a little jump park and loved it. Super versatile bike.