Quantcast

Preston

Cuervo

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
I've pedalled my old 43 lb 40 tooth bike up it when my little bike was out of commision. Wasn't worth it though. I couldn't really get up to big bike speed (had to pedal downhill as hard as going up). Now I ride my XC bike (35ish anyway). That seems to be just right even with a chainguide and 34 tooth ring. It's seen worse hill climbs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Change the tires to a lighter but aggressive 2.2 or 2.35 and it makes the climbing easier, and the descending faster.

My XC bike wieghs 34 lbs and i take it on rides 3 times longer than Tiger, and that's not even impressive compared to a few other people i've seen who ride even longer rides on bigger bikes.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
My trail bike is 34 and 6x6 and it goes everywhere. Oh and my old Big Hit (43lbs) went up several times over three years and my Demo 9 (45lbs) has gone up 6 times no probs. Yes an 8"+ travel bike is fun but over kill for Tiger. I prefer a 5 or 6 inch bike and have found my current FOES FXR about the best bike I have taken to Tiger.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference. I've ridden the Tiger trails 3 times in the past 4 years and it's a running joke as to whether I can stay "Tiger free" for a season. So far this one, I have. Though I may go ride it to see the new trail work. But, I'm just not into it anymore. The crowds and the trails just don't do it for me anymore. Though Fat Hand/Iverson is always a blast and the least ridden.

It is the biggest ride close to Seattle. It's pretty straightforward and easy to negotiate for those with less than capabile navigational skills.
It's right off a fairly major hwy which nakes access pretty easy. It is THE place all the local bike shops send the visitors and locals just asking to.

If you have not gone, you should. It's classic west side forest riding with decent elevation and a great little workout ride for preparation for the bigger stuff that's out there.
As for the PRT in particular, it's changed a lot over the years and not necessarily for the better. Yes, the upper section is no longer a mud pit all year and is now the funnest part imho. But, the rail grade section the rest of the way is just hammered and 12 feet wide in places. Suspension has really changed the way it's ridden. Brian and the BBTC crew have done good things to fix it up but that's a whole 'nuther thread. I've done my share and it always feels like an uphill battle there. But, a necessary one as well. It's pretty cool to see drains still working 2-3 years later as intended.
Props to everyone who pushes up to it on a big bike. but, it sure seems like overkill on the way down. As EvilB mentioned, 5x5 or 6x6 seems perfect for it.
Worth doing if you never have before and make your own mind up. Some love it, some don't. For a myriad of reasons.
Whew! That's enough for now....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
The first 1.5 of the climb is the worst:dead: After that there are more flat spots and not as steep.

Or it might be that I'm older and it takes me longer to warm up and get my heart rate under control:think:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Snacks, I'd agree. I'm in the same boat. but, not nearly as young as you. So, I've found that it's a lot easier to get up the climb if I ride out the road to the left and do the Fat Hand/Iverson loop first. Then, I'm good and warmed up.

Or, you can just do an out and back and ride out Northwest Timber and then up PRT.

BTW: luvz2ridz, there's maps everywhere of this place on the web. Try NWsource.com and print it out.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Borneo said:
Snacks, I'd agree. I'm in the same boat. but, not nearly as young as you. So, I've found that it's a lot easier to get up the climb if I ride out the road to the left and do the Fat Hand/Iverson loop first. Then, I'm good and warmed up.

Or, you can just do an out and back and ride out Northwest Timber and then up PRT.

BTW: luvz2ridz, there's maps everywhere of this place on the web. Try NWsource.com and print it out.
I prefer to climb the trail than the road. The road is too degrating.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i like Tiger but it can be a pretty crowded trail. Since it's close i like to ride it on a weekday after work so it's not so crowded with horses and hikers.

But i was quite suprised last time i went on a weekend i didn't run into any other trail users except mt. bikers. Luck of the draw sometimes i suppose.

Tiger is close, the trails are fun. But like Borneo also touched a little upon. DNR should really let mt. bikers have more trails out there. The BBTC has bent over backwards putting in tons of work on Preston with little to no divedends except for the long term benefits of the cycling community demonstrating it can work with a typically sluggish lazy government system.

So in that respect alot of bikers go up there and drool over "what could be" up there, and are perhaps frustrated that it likely will never be. At least at Tiger.... But there are other riding spots on the horizon that the club is working on, that will someday supplant Tiger on the coolness level....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum is dead-on when he recommends the 2.35'ish tires. Another helpful hint...keep the PSI up real high for the climb and then let some air out at the top.
I roll a 40+lb rig up there...not walk...I hate walking when I don't have to. It helps that I also have a frame that has a full seatpost tube, so I can jack the saddle waaaay up.
As far as actually riding there goes, I tend to ride there alot less than I did in the past. Not because I don't like it, more or less the congestion thing. If I do hit Tiger, I tend to opt for night rides. It makes the trails about 10x more fun, IMHO.

Jun 18, 2004
2 winters ago I some how go suckered into riding that trail in Feb I think it was... I was supposed to meet some peep's up there... long/short of it is that I found there vehicle but not them... I ended up riding my 50lb banshee scream! doh! (at least I could use the 26t on the e13 DRS)...

anyways experiences like that have led me away from heavy bikes... I'm about to order a Ints 6.6 and have ordered a Canonnodale ht w/80mm of travel that will work as a XC bike and a commuter... all w/the change of a wheelset... Can BB Ultra

my 42lbs Vpx is as heavy as I want to go now...

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I ride my G-spot up there once in a while. Too much bike, not enough trail, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
downhillracer said:
these are the trails I am refering to
Judging by the rider most prominently filmed and the name of the vid submitter I would say those are the trails known by the filmed rider's name. Make sence??
I have also heard that those trails have been effectively closed down except for those portions on the above mentioned riders property.
But as always when someone says a trail has been closed and someone says they aren't; ride at your own risk.

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
Snacks said:
The first 1.5 of the climb is the worst:dead: After that there are more flat spots and not as steep.

Or it might be that I'm older and it takes me longer to warm up and get my heart rate under control:think:
haha:rofl: I feel the same way!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Knobularlife said:
haha:rofl: I feel the same way!
Ugh, it was like that on a ride at Whidbey we did last Saturday:dead: Right out of the car and climbing steep single track....I felt my lungs and heart were going to explode:hot: