Quantcast

Primary news source?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
This post isn't so much meant to stir up debate on liberal vs. conservative media outlets or media bias in general. I'm really just trying to figure out what is out there.

What is you primary news source for world news and events?

On the net, I tend to pick cnn.com and news.bbc.co.uk. On TV I tend to watch the Jim Lehrer News Hour and other programs on PBS, Frontline, Washington Week, etc. (yeah, I'm liberal minded) I don't actually read a news paper, local or otherwise. I feel sometimes that I only get half the story, regardless of the source, and I spend a lot of time hunting around trying to find more info and compare and contrast stories. I was just wondering where other people go for news.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I use Google News mostly, I have it customised quite heavily though. Therefore I kinda get a bit of everything. It is especially good for getting a more balanced idea of the situation, as it groups together the same stroy from hundreds (if not thousands) of outlets.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I use Google News mostly, I have it customised quite heavily though. Therefore I kinda get a bit of everything. It is especially good for getting a more balanced idea of the situation, as it groups together the same stroy from hundreds (if not thousands) of outlets.

Ah, that's kind of what I'm looking for. way you can kind of average out what's happening. I'll have to check it out. That I tried using google for sports news but I usually just end up on sites running betting odds. Wasn't very helpful.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sadly, mostly RM these days. Anything notable usually gets posted here with a few sources.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually, I do check in here pretty often as a barometer of what people are thinking/feeling about various issues. I think it's actually a fairly valuable resource.
There are some pretty smart and some pretty N8 people here, so yeah, its a decent spectrum. Sometimes they miss important events though, like women using their babies as weapons, and then I have to post it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are some pretty smart and some pretty N8 people here, so yeah, its a decent spectrum. Sometimes they miss important events though, like women using their babies as weapons, and then I have to post it.
I seriously like to read the gossip pages. Page 6 of the NY Post is by far the best. You occassionally read some hard news, albeit on the trashy side.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sometimes they miss important events though, like women using their babies as weapons, and then I have to post it.
You know, I posted that yesterday in the "yo' mamma jokes" thread because there were a bunch of dead baby jokes in there and somebody deleted it and all the dead baby jokes. I thought now that is odd... Who would be offended by dead baby jokes?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
You live close to one of the premier papers in the country you know. The WaPo is my choice. I get it delivered, although you can pretty much get the whole paper online now.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I like being spoon-fed right wing propaganda, so I pretty much stick to Newsmax and Fox News.
fixed it for ya. :clue:

i usually get mine from the following:

yahoo news (pulling stories off of AP and Reuters)
drudge report
drudge retort

then will usually scan the headlines of foxnews, cnn and NYT.

lastly, I'll come here to see what little bit of fiction n8 can come up with next... :biggrin:

tv news is boring, only one topic at a time. sheesh, how can anybody live with that??

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I use http://www.whatreallyhappened.com for news and then usually http://www.abcnews.com for the mainstream opinion.

Many other sites too (slashdot,salon,newsmax,prison planet,wapo,nyt,chicago tribune,cnn,etc., etc., etc.), but usually just through links. The two aforementioned are the ones I browse most regularly.

Good to hear I am not alone in finding RM a valuable source for news. It is pretty common that I hear about it on RM first!

:cheers:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If I hear about it on RM first, I feel I am out of the loop. I am a bit of a News Junkie. My Google News page currently has 20 sections (varies), most of them maxed out to 9 stories.

Oh I like to browse the BBC and occasionally GNN too, but GNN is mostly a bunch of fruitloops, but has good content from Greg Palast and Anthony Lappe(sic?) quite often.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Has anyone used the new google rss feeds? I need to get back into using feeds. I deleted my newsreader ages ago and have just been checking websites compulsively ever since.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Luckly, due to work, I get a bunch of news summaries from a couple of different services but that mainly is focused around my industry. But since everything affects that.....

But I prefer as many of said google just for the variety on the same subjects.

I am partial to MSNBC because of the Newsweek, Washington Post and Slate coverage all in one place.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
I like facts right leaning, so I pretty much stick to Newsmax and Fox News.
haha ya way to stick to one side of the story msnbc, cnn, reuters are excellent sources for tracking all the world news. even csmonitor.com is great. All of these places give both sides of information and no bullsh*t

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Breitbart, Drudge, Capitalism Magazine, Reuters, Human Events, City Journal, New Sysiphus, American Thinker, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, etc. etc...and that's just what's at the top of my "vast right wing conspiracy" folder.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Xinhua is a giant piece of Chinese propaganda crap. I don't understand you and your love of Chinapants...
China pwn3z j00. :bonk: :clue: :biggrin:

Xinhua has been known to be a propaganda vessel, but they also offer lots of non-distorted news, lots of interesting China internal stuff and a probably most interestingly of all, a quality China-centric view of the world. enditem.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
bbc, or search for what you want on the internet site:.edu primary source or site:.gov primary source