Quantcast

PRISM and Gig

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Gizmodo overview: http://gizmodo.com/what-is-prism-511875267

Relevant files via Anonymous: http://thedocs.hostzi.com/

What's most troubling about PRISM isn't that it collects data. It's the type of data it collects. According to the Washington Post report, that includes:

…audio and video chats, photographs, e-mails, documents, and connection logs… [Skype] can be monitored for audio when one end of the call is a conventional telephone, and for any combination of “audio, video, chat, and file transfers” when Skype users connect by computer alone. Google’s offerings include Gmail, voice and video chat, Google Drive files, photo libraries, and live surveillance of search terms.
Did you get all that? Similar depth of access applies to Facebook, Microsoft, and the rest. Just to be clear: this covers practically anything you've ever done online, up to and including Google searches as you type them.
:tinfoil:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The idea and scope of PRISM, as I understand it today, is just mind-blowing.

It's going to get worse before, well, it's just gonna get worse.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Not mind blowing, old hat. Narus let the public know they could do this about a decade ago at each 6400 installation.

Most people just didn't comprehend the technical language - layer 4 is the transport layer (TCP/IP) and layer 7 is the application layer (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, IMAP, POP, Bittorrent, Skype, whatever):

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153913&p=2114177&viewfull=1#post2114177

That Narus STA 6400 is smoking fast:

Narus Product Page said:
Industry-leading packet processing performance that supports network speeds of up to OC-192 at layer 4 and OC-48 at layer 7, enabling carriers to monitor traffic at either the edge of the network or at the core.
OC-192 = 10000 Mb/s - ie an internet backbone!
OC-48 = 2500 Mb/s - ie a regional internet backbone!
I found this recently, yet another revolving door in Washington:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050206184639/narus.com/press/2004/0929.html

NARUS APPOINTS FORMER DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY TO ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS

September 29, 2004, Mountain View, CA — Narus, Inc., the leading carrier-class IP platform software provider, announced it has appointed William P. Crowell to its board of directors. Crowell brings extensive knowledge of information technology and security systems.

“We are pleased to welcome William Crowell to our board of directors,” said Greg Oslan, president and CEO of Narus. “Narus will be able to leverage Bill’s industry leadership and experience in addressing IP network security issues for carriers worldwide.”

Crowell is an independent security consultant and holds several board positions with a variety of technology and technology-based security companies. Since 9/11, Crowell has served on the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Task Force on Terrorism and Deterrence, the National Research Council Committee on Science and Technology for Countering Terrorism and the Markle Foundation Task Force on National Security in the Information Age.

His past positions have included president and chief executive officer of Cylink, a leading provider of e-business security solutions, as well as a series of senior positions at the National Security Agency, including deputy director of operations and deputy director of the Agency. Crowell has served as chairman of the President’s Export Council (PEC) Subcommittee on Encryption, which worked with the Administration, Congress and private industry to substantially loosen restrictions on the export of encryption products and technology.

“Narus has an impressive track record of working with tier-one carriers to keep their networks running safely, continuously and profitably,” said William Crowell. “I look forward to helping Narus as they forge new strategic partnerships and continue to break new ground in the telecommunications industry.”

# # #
About Narus
Narus provides a Carrier Class IP Platform for the largest, most profitable networks in the world. The Narus IP platform offers a “Total Network View” through the real-time collection and analysis of one packet to billions of packets across multiple networks at up to OC192 rates. The Narus IP Platform is used by Tier 1 carriers to enable IP applications such as billing, infrastructure protection, policy enforcement, and IP monitoring. Narus is privately held and fully funded, backed by, Intel, JP Morgan Partners, Mayfield, NeoCarta, Presidio Venture Partners, Sumisho Electronics and Walden Ventures. For more information, please visit www.narus.com.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

this is what transparency is all about i guess.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not mind blowing, old hat. Narus let the public know they could do this about a decade ago at each 6400 installation.
And Narus was bought by Boeing in 2010. Funny how that happens.

You pointed that out in 2006.

I have to change my statement about Obama being arguably worse than Bush on civil liberties. He's worse.

The good news is I always assumed that most of us were on some list anyways. Now I know we are, it just has over 300M names on it :)

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And Narus was bought by Boeing in 2010. Funny how that happens.

You pointed that out in 2006.

I have to change my statement about Obama being arguably worse than Bush on civil liberties. He's worse.

The good news is I always assumed that most of us were on some list anyways. Now I know we are, it just has over 300M names on it :)
it's a big tent...everyone is invited.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Wonder if its possible to collect so much stuff that you can't wade through it all and analyse it and therefore miss things anyway.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When Glenn Greenwald and The Guardian broke its initial story on the NSA's secret vacuuming of American's phone data, George W. Bush's former press secretary, Ari Fleischer, had this response:

Drone strikes. Wiretaps. Gitmo. [Obama] is carrying out Bush's 4th term. Yet he attacked Bush for violating the Constitution.
And when news surfaced that the NSA's reach had infiltrated nearly every major internet company's servers, including Google, Facebook and Microsoft, Fleischer said to Anderson Cooper:
"I'm proud as a Republican to be backing what President Obama has done."
In 2008, Americans voted for Obama for two primary reasons: 1) to embrace his health care and economic stances in the wake of the financial collapse, and 2) to reject President Bush's hawkish national security and foreign policies.
Of those who voted for Obama, 87 percent strongly disapproved of the war in Iraq, 90 percent claimed McCain would continue Bush's policies, and only 13 percent found the War on Terror to be the election's most important issue (compared with an incredible 86 percent for those who voted for McCain).

Meaning: the greatest divide between voters was the issue of terrorism and how our country was addressing it, both domestically and abroad.

Meaning: many Americans who voted for Obama were reacting in various forms to the war in Iraq, The Patriot Act, and a myriad of perceived constitutional abuses in the name of fighting terror.

It was about hope and change. A hope for individual, economic survival, and a change from what many saw as the Bush administration's intrusive, Orwellian reach.

Now, those who have been paying attention for the last seven years are not surprised by the fact that our government appears to have grossly abused what, in The Patriot Act, was already a troubling response to 9/11. And hints of such abuse, coming from concerned politicians and targeted whistleblowers, have been swirling for years. That the Obama administration has expanded the Bush administration's surveillance establishment is nothing new, if you've been watching things closely.

However, not everyone has been paying attention.

Now that they are, Americans are realizing that, when it comes to matters of national security, President Obama appears to be embodying precisely what they had originally rejected in President Bush. Sure, there have been drone strikes, but those have been shrugged off by the populace as a faceless and necessary element in a faraway land. And anyway, Obama's drawn down in Iraq and Afghanistan, which is precisely what they expected and desired.

However, domestically, America is suddenly realizing that this is not what they signed up for. In 2007, Obama said this, in making a distinction between his future leadership and President Bush's reign:

"That means no more illegal wiretapping of American citizens. No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime. No more tracking citizens who do nothing but protest a misguided war. No more ignoring the law when it is inconvenient."
Americans should be outraged and concerned by the scope of the NSA's surveillance reach -- which is truly Orwellian in scope. And some are.
But the reaction to recent developments is just as much in response to the actual surveillance infrastructure as it is to the fact that a Nobel Prize winner and constitutional law professor has allowed our government to, as one NSA employee stated, allow agents to literally watch what you type, as you type it.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/08/1214650/-Americans-Are-Outraged-Because-in-Voting-for-Obama-They-Thought-They-Were-Rejecting-Bush
:shakefist:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wonder if its possible to collect so much stuff that you can't wade through it all and analyse it and therefore miss things anyway.
It's already happening. That's actually one of the major problems in science right now - the technology exists to, say, map the human brain at a neuron level, but nobody knows how to handle the petabytes of data that would generate.

The NSA is handling it just like the scientific community, though - let's get the data, and then we'll figure out how to filter it. There's some wisdom to that - the more data you collect, the more patterns emerge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's already happening. That's actually one of the major problems in science right now - the technology exists to, say, map the human brain at a neuron level, but nobody knows how to handle the petabytes of data that would generate.

The NSA is handling it just like the scientific community, though - let's get the data, and then we'll figure out how to filter it. There's some wisdom to that - the more data you collect, the more patterns emerge.

or like downloading 100gigs of pr0n and never watching more than 5 minutes at a time

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This really makes you want to just step off-line. Just go back to writing letters for personal stuff and using land lines for telephone calls. At least you know they need warrants for that.

It is scary though... I think I'm going to go ahead and start doing that more... Nick, SS, and FT - expect letters when I want to ride. I'll send them a week in advance.

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Quantum Computers will solve this problem within now and a few years I recon...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
using land lines for telephone calls. At least you know they need warrants for that.
nope.
all land-line traffic quickly goes to IP, sometimes before leaving your house.

minority reports should be issued by FY17

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
What a bunch of cunts. Their heads should be on spikes in the street but next week we'll be talking about the new Apple I-thing. Shiny things, we want shiny things.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
purposeful conflating of "targetting -vs- accidental deaths" aside, concur w/ the spirit of the article

if it weren't for terrorism & our response to it, i wouldn't have a job.

"from time to time, the money tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of our own" -- $tank

*sorry creepy music/editing. Cleanest edition I could find on short notice.

Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Still scratching my head how that dork scored her........but oh well.

This guy doens't seem Jason Bourne'esq..........I give it a few months and he'll be scooped up by Delta/DEVGRU and flown to GITMO with a black pillowcase on his head.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Still scratching my head how that dork scored her........but oh well.
i'm guessing for all her assets, she might be just bright enough to know she should hitch her wagon to a star that isn't likely to fade

i think she's now re-factoring her mate-finding algorithm

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the plot sickens....

Bloomberg is reporting that the recent NSA Prism scandal is just a tiny scratch on the privacy surface. Citing "four people familiar with the process", the agency claims that in fact thousands of technology, finance and manufacturing companies work with US national security agencies.

In return for providing "sensitive information", Bloomberg claims these companies receive benefits "that include access to classified intelligence." The news agency explains that many internet and telecom companies don't just hand over the details of their customers' private communications, but also details like equipment specifications, too.

http://gizmodo.com/bloomberg-us-agencies-actually-share-data-with-thousan-513341290