Quantcast

Pro DH'r Lars injured

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
So, I'm sure you are all wondering the status of our good friend and amazing rider Lars. I just got off the phone with Simon and Lars went in for surgery last night. He can't really call until after 9am this morning to see how everything went. As of last night before the surgery Lars was in good spirits and happy to hear of all the support from everyone.

Lars ruptured a blood vessel as Tyler said in the other thread...the purpose of surgery is to drain the area on his back where the blood is filling.. If they find that the bleeding hasn't stopped then they will have to cut more to find where the bleeding is coming from and try to cautarize it.

The really bad part~ Lars unfortantly doesn't have insurance! Luckly his USI licence will cover part of it, but he will still have many many bills to pay!

Simon Lawton, owner of Fluid Ride is accepting donations. So far they have raised $1000. Big thanks goes to Michael Cain aka Pigpants, and also Simon Lawton. If you are interested in making a donation please send an email to Simon at...

simon@fluidride.com

Simon will accept Visa or Mastercard as well as cash and checks.

Thanks for all the support :thumb:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Best wishes to Lars! Healing vibes.

Unfortunately I know how much surgery/hospital bills can cost - but thankfully I have insurance. I'll be making a donation.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Five said:
Best wishes to Lars! Healing vibes.

Unfortunately I know how much surgery/hospital bills can cost - but thankfully I have insurance. I'll be making a donation.
Thanks Five! Lars is super stoked to have all the support from his fellow friends and riders!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
bibs said:
dood, not funny....I dont read ridedonkey that much anymore...

thast ****ed, is Lars abck in the states?
Give Simon a shout Cory. He was waiting to find out when he can go pick him up.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Get well Lars.

:(

I can relate....well not to being fast.;) Probably shouldn't make jokes if he reads this anytime soon. I am sure any sort of chuckle is no-no....not that I am particularly funny. :rolleyes:

I will contact Simon for my donation

Which hospital is he at?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MUTOLI said:
Give Simon a shout Cory. He was waiting to find out when he can go pick him up.
Pick him up? I guess that is partially good news....a couple days in the hopsital can really get you.

Doesn't lars live up in Bellingham? Does he have family down here (well blood family not his kick ass bikey family)

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Ethan called and talked to Simon last night. I think he goes to get Lars this Friday, hopefully. (He is still in Cananda, Kamloops). They did surgery and it sounds like they made about a 3 inch incision and found the spot that was bleeding and stopped it along with draining the blood that had formed a massive tummor like thing on his lower back. Unfortunatly they had to go through the muscle and stuff to get to it! :( Sounds like he should heal quickly since he is in such good shape! Simon said Lars is in good spirits and sounds alot better over the phone! Simon is planning on going to get him as soon as he is released! I'll keep you all posted when I hear more details!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Simon emailed me this morning with an update! Please read below!

1)Lars Updates
Lars is due to be released this afternoon. I just rented a large vehicle for his mom, who is now on her way to pick him up.

Surgery went very well, with the artery now sutured. Lars is no longer losing blood, but did lose one third of the blood in his body to the hematoma, which was "the size of a large melon" according to the surgeon. Lars had a three inch incision made on his back near his spine, where drain tubes were placed. The incision has been left open at this point just in case of further internal bleeding.

I am still trying to work out with Mondial Du Velo whether Lars has medical coverage or not. There seems to be some grey area since he was competing out of country...but I am being very diplomatic, and am holding out hope they will provide some coverage.

2)Donation updates

One of my students donated $200 yesterday to help pay for Lars' transportation.

I have also had several emails asking about how to make a donation, and am hopeful money will start to come in soon. Softride where Lars works has also started a fund, so things are coming together.

Donations can be sent to:
Fluidride
723 NE Northlake Way
Seattle Wa

Donations can also be made over the phone by calling 206.547.0712 During business hours (Tuesday-Friday 12-7pm & Saturday 12-5pm). Or by calling 206.499.3469 anytime of the day (Simon's Cell).

We take: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Check (Put Lars Donation in memo area) or Cash

ALSO...

We are taking donations of decent used bike parts/accessories people may have around going unused...we can sell these online or in the shop to create revenue for Lars.

Many Thanks for your enthusiastic support!

Sincerely,

Simon Lawton

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm going to keep this brief due to not wanting to sit at the computer for longer than I have to. But I feel obligated to say a few things now I'm recovering a little.

I want to send a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone for their support during my most recent get-off in Kamloops. It was a very dismal week for me up there by myself and I can't begin to describe how much it meant to me to hear the supportive phone messages from all of you that left them. I also heard from Simon early on about this thread on RM and how everyone in our small riding community had done in such a short time financially and just in get wells. I have to say I would have had a much more depressing week if it wasn't for you guys!

I also want to say a special thank you to the people I stayed with up there who all came and visited me in the hospital which was out of the way. I had a great weekend with you guys!

And I can't begin to describe how much I owe Simon Lawton of Fluidride Inc. for everything he has done for me. I would have been in big trouble without him. Not that I didn't know this about him already but I learned a lot about his integrity, and value of friendship that you can go a lifetime without ever experiencing.

I will be back later for more but I neededto get those thanks out there!

Lars