Quantcast

Pro Gravity TOur - Cat 1 (Expert) Points?

"IF" Cat 1 (Expert) Racers Recieved Points...

• I plan to race the ENTIRE Series

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I plan to race MOST of the Series

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I plan to race only 1-2 Events

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
So, one of the thoughts & questions i've been getting has been amateur points. We didn't have any amateur points in 2009 & so far do not plan to offer amateurs points in 2010.

HOWEVER, i've been toying around with the idea of offering points to Juniors... or maybe even all Cat 1 riders.

Eventually all classes will have overall series points, but right now there just simply isn't the manpower to handle it all. & hopefully you all understand my situation... where i certainly don't have time to tally points

Anyhow, what i'd like to know (preferably by poll) is "IF" I offered points to all Cat 1 riders, how many of you would:

1. Race the ENTIRE Series
2. Race MOST Events
3. Race only 1-2 events
4. Undecided

Yes, i know it's hard to say without seeing the schedule (sorry... plan on being events, with NO THROW OUTS!), but i'm just trying to get a general idea so i can discuss with USA Cycling. This would end up being up to me alone to tally the points (unless i was fortunate enough to have an assistant)... & chances are, full standings would not be provided immediately after the race.

**someone want to make me a spreadsheet program to easily tally points!?!? ;-)

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Any chance of doing a separate West and an East coast point series for AMs? I feel that makes so much more sense and would probably motivate more people to actually make an effort at an overall, especially for juniors.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
a point calculating spreadsheet should be pretty easy to do
Doesnt excel do all this stuff automatically by enter =(and the formula) into the box?
You guys need to understand that it takes more than just having a excel spreadsheet to maintain points for a series.

Yes Excel is a great tool as far as doing the math etc...but those racer names and proper categories just don't populate themselves - a real person(usually a volunteer) has to sit down with the race results and and put them into the proper Category and age group. The results are usually in different formats which makes it more labor intensive.

But anyway If Pro GRT had an Amatuer division - We would race it

Last edited:

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Any chance of doing a separate West and an East coast point series for AMs? I feel that makes so much more sense and would probably motivate more people to actually make an effort at an overall, especially for juniors.
I like this idea Pro GRT East /Pro GRT West......then meet at Solvista to determine the Champions. Everyone allowed to attend/race the championship but you can't be Series Champion unless you attended all your regional PRO GRT races.

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
So, one of the thoughts & questions i've been getting has been amateur points. We didn't have any amateur points in 2009 & so far do not plan to offer amateurs points in 2010.

HOWEVER, i've been toying around with the idea of offering points to Juniors... or maybe even all Cat 1 riders.

Eventually all classes will have overall series points, but right now there just simply isn't the manpower to handle it all. & hopefully you all understand my situation... where i certainly don't have time to tally points

Anyhow, what i'd like to know (preferably by poll) is "IF" I offered points to all Cat 1 riders, how many of you would:

1. Race the ENTIRE Series
2. Race MOST Events
3. Race only 1-2 events
4. Undecided

Yes, i know it's hard to say without seeing the schedule (sorry... plan on being events, with NO THROW OUTS!), but i'm just trying to get a general idea so i can discuss with USA Cycling. This would end up being up to me alone to tally the points (unless i was fortunate enough to have an assistant)... & chances are, full standings would not be provided immediately after the race.

**someone want to make me a spreadsheet program to easily tally points!?!? ;-)
check your pms.

-KT

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
West vs. East coast sounds like a cool idea actually. I'm in CO and I'd never head all the way out east for a gravity race, but I might head to NV, CA or the North West if its a good enough race.

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England
You guys need to understand that it takes more than just having a excel spreadsheet to maintain points for a series.

Yes Excel is a great tool as far as doing the math etc...but those racer names and proper categories just don't populate themselves - a real person(usually a volunteer) has to sit down with the race results and and put them into the proper Category and age group. The results are usually in different formats which makes it more labor intensive.

But anyway If Pro GRT had an Amatuer division - We would race it
I suggest a standardized reporting structure, driven by those who manage the points.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
I suggest a standardized reporting structure, driven by those who manage the points.
That would seem like the obvious solution but when each of the participating mountains handle the registration, timing, and results......The format of those results provided for those who are managing the series points isn't always ideal.

Multiple Venues, Multiple Age Groups and categories - it is not impossible, but its just not as easy as merging two spreadsheets.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
you guys just want to make things harder for me huh? lol

East vs West wouldn't really work this year, as unfortunately there looks to be only 2 east coast events in 2010. I'm hoping to have more next year (already working on contacts, etc), but A LOT of it has to do with the schedule of events. making a "WORKING" series that revolves around the World Cups, Sea Otter, US Open, & Crankworx. it's a balancing act all around.

yah, a standard excel form ain't gonna cut it for a points system.. will check around, but it's hard when each event could potentially have XXX new riders to calculate in -it's hard enough in the pro class

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
We were trying to make it easier - get some one to Direct/coordinate East Coast and someone to Direct/coordinate West Coast - you sit in the middle and Supervise for the finals - in addition to your 2 east coast events Pick 2 or 3 more East Coast races that already exist on the 2010 schedule.

Anyway just thoughts - If you need help with points for AMs shoot me a PM - i would be happy to do it.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
We were trying to make it easier - get some one to Direct/coordinate East Coast and someone to Direct/coordinate West Coast - you sit in the middle and Supervise for the finals - in addition to your 2 east coast events Pick 2 or 3 more East Coast races that already exist on the 2010 schedule.

Anyway just thoughts - If you need help with points for AMs shoot me a PM - i would be happy to do it.
yah, it's something i'm looking into developing. for future years... but it'll be a "AM GRT" type deal.. just watned to see if there was soemthing to be developed this year. will look into it & figure some stuff out.
thanks!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Points for overall don't really do anything for me. Especially for a series that I know I will only go to if they happen to coincide with an MSC race. I'd rather see more big name pros show up.