Quantcast

PRO Gravity Tour (PRO GRT) ANNOUNCED!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm guessing there's gonna be a large number of racers there that weekend then. Does that mean there won't be time for practice on sunday before the race?

Sorry for all the questions. My friend and I were planning on having that be our first race ever, but if it's gonna be super crowded and hectic that day and we won't be able to practice, then we might do one of the quieter platty races.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there will be practice Sunday in the AM as there usually is. we are hoping that there will be a big turn out since it is a Pro GRT stop. if you want a "quieter" race, then all the others races might suit your needs.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Platty should run both lifts and put CAT 2 & 3 on one lift and Pro and CAT 1 on the other.

EDIT: just thought about the timing... oh well, it was a good thought.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Platty should run both lifts and put CAT 2 & 3 on one lift and Pro and CAT 1 on the other.

EDIT: just thought about the timing... oh well, it was a good thought.
lol, it was a good thought tho. both lifts might be running, but im sure the man will chime in eventually.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
since the GRT is working with various local & regional events to produce the series, the final decision regarding practice times & such will end up being with the individual events (not me, althoguh i may suggest a few things). with that said, each event will probably be slightly different as far as scheduling goes, qualifying or seeding, etc.

& since it's bound to be a "bigger" event that normal, you might see some changes compared to their general scheduling. I'll post updates on the Pro GRT website (www.progrt.com), as it all develops.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
UCI points..

Cat 3 (Plattekill)
1st - 10
2nd - 6
3rd - 4
4th - 2
5th - 1

Cat 2 (Crankworx Colorado)
1st - 30
2nd - 20
3rd - 15
4th - 12
5th - 10
6th - 8
7th - 6
8th - 4
9th - 2
10th - 1

more information can be found in the UCI Rulebook. (points on page 63)

dondon

Monkey
As you can see, if USA ever wants to see more riders on the World Cup circuit you need many more UCI points races. Larger local events need to be at cat 3 minimum, and i feel that GRT should strive to have every stop in 2011 a Cat 2.

The catch 22 is often the riders that fill the top 2 or 3 slots are riders that already have 20 UCI points or more from last season making it harder for new upcoming riders to qualify.
Right now the only other way riders can race world cups is to petition USAC for slots. If they then qualify and place in top 35 or two top 45's etc they will have enough points for next 12 months to race world cups without USAC entry.

I feel those 6 USAC allocated WC entires are best filled by serious junior riders with WC and world champs potential. Or riders like Gwin who came out of nowhere and used the USAC entry.

It is going to be pretty sad that only a handful of Americans will be able to enter the USA WC stop. The top 11 at nat champs will get 20 points, existing full or part time world cup racers and the USAC allocated entires. So you can expect only about 20 american racers or less.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Awesome job! I'll be at Washington, Tahoe and Colorado! Saving my money for the WC in Windham, otherwise I'd go to the others :~

So stoked to see someone picking up the "National" series. Good job and can't wait to get the season started, got 15 races planed through this summer!!!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
As you can see, if USA ever wants to see more riders on the World Cup circuit you need many more UCI points races. Larger local events need to be at cat 3 minimum, and i feel that GRT should strive to have every stop in 2011 a Cat 2.

The catch 22 is often the riders that fill the top 2 or 3 slots are riders that already have 20 UCI points or more from last season making it harder for new upcoming riders to qualify.
Right now the only other way riders can race world cups is to petition USAC for slots. If they then qualify and place in top 35 or two top 45's etc they will have enough points for next 12 months to race world cups without USAC entry.

I feel those 6 USAC allocated WC entires are best filled by serious junior riders with WC and world champs potential. Or riders like Gwin who came out of nowhere and used the USAC entry.

It is going to be pretty sad that only a handful of Americans will be able to enter the USA WC stop. The top 11 at nat champs will get 20 points, existing full or part time world cup racers and the USAC allocated entires. So you can expect only about 20 american racers or less.
Yep, kind of sucks! I'm going to the WC but just to watch unless some miracle happens and my training actually pays off! I've been training 5 days a week and am just preying that I can somehow pull off enough UCI points this season. If not, got plans/money for a trade team next season :(

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Agreed Sven, but as a note the host country gets double the "allocated" spots so we'll have 12 plus the riders that have 20 or more points. My guess there'll be 30+ USA entries. Don't forget USAC is sending 6 or 7 riders to Guatemala for the Pan Am Continental Champs, pretty much all you have to do is start to get 20 points, plus the 11 or so from the Nationals.

Having inscribed a UCI race for the first time over the winter, there is an amazing amount of paperwork that has to be done (thank god for USAC's Help). Then there's the costs involved, including 4 "judges" travel and hotel fees and food for them. The head judge for our race in NY is flying in from NM. I guess what I'm saying is ther won't be a ton of UCI races in the USA unless promoters can get some help somewhere.

Last edited:

dondon

Monkey
Agreed Sven, but as a note the host country gets double the "allocated" spots so we'll have 12 plus the riders that have 20 or more points. My guess there'll be 30+ USA entries. Don't forget USAC is sending 6 or 7 riders to Guatemala for the Pan Am Continental Champs, pretty much all you have to do is start to get 20 points, plus the 11 or so from the Nationals.

Having inscribed a UCI race for the first time over the winter, there is an amazing amount of paperwork that has to be done (thank god for USAC's Help). Then there's the costs involved, including 4 "judges" travel and hotel fees and food for them. The head judge for our race in NY is flying in from NM. I guess what I'm saying is ther won't be a ton of UCI races in the USA unless promoters can get some help somewhere.
Good to hear about the extra slots.

It's just ironic how a small country with very little outside or industry sponsorship like South Africa can host Cat 2 races for their entire National MTB series. South Africa currently has more riders with over 20 UCI points needed to race world cups than the world superpower USA. But at least the GRT is starting in the right direction and USA racing is on the upswing again.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Good to hear about the extra slots.

It's just ironic how a small country with very little outside or industry sponsorship like South Africa can host Cat 2 races for their entire National MTB series. South Africa currently has more riders with over 20 UCI points needed to race world cups than the world superpower USA. But at least the GRT is starting in the right direction and USA racing is on the upswing again.
but how long have you guys had a long standing National series? hopefully with the GRT, they will all be UCI points races in the near future. thankfully we have people like DD to organize the races. thanks Dylan!

"this is the why MTB industry sucks" (sarcasm from a previous thread)

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Just a heads up - trade team status will run you a cool $2.5k. Apps will be due in early February. - http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=3377

Does being on a trade team even void the point requirement anymore? I know for Jr DHers it does, but what about 18+?
Ya, the money won't be a problem. Like I said if things don't work out this year with points then next year the team gets started.

As for the point thing, I need to look into that as well. Not too sure, but I'm betting with my recent reputation at races, there's no way I'm going to qualify this year. I can say that my training that I'm doing now is also for next year as well :P

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ya, the money won't be a problem. Like I said if things don't work out this year with points then next year the team gets started.

As for the point thing, I need to look into that as well. Not too sure, but I'm betting with my recent reputation at races, there's no way I'm going to qualify this year. I can say that my training that I'm doing now is also for next year as well :P
then why dont you just start the team regardless if you think you may or may not qualify?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
As far as I know, the trade team rule no longer allows unqualified riders to race world cups. The only exception are the national team spots form what I have been told.