Quantcast

Problem with registration

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Putting this up for a member of VWvortex who's been trying to register here.

From his post here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=4378641

"Just curious why I can't register every time I enter the activation code it asks me to enter it again. I registered like 5 days ago but never got the activation email so now I can't log in. I have tried re registering for the last 5 days and the activation code must be messed up because I have tried it like 100 times both on firefox and IE. Also the support email doesn't work either keep getting "Delivery to the following recipients failed." support@ridemonkey.com"

Any help is much appreciated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hotmail spam filters are probably at fault, the activation email might be in his junkmail box or maybe even the filters deleted it. If you add support@ridemonkey.com to your address book in hotmail it will whitelist the email address.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Thanks, guys.

I gave him the link to this thread when I started it, and with an email to him he should be able to take care of the rest himself.

Thanks! :thumb:

Bowenac

Chimp
May 14, 2009
Puyallup
Well after 3 different accounts it is finally working. The last time I tried I could only log into home, articles, videos, photos. If I clicked on forums or classifieds it would then give me a vbulliten error. Glad it is working now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So here is the scoop. The old, "new" owners of ridemonkey screwed up a ton of stuff with the database by trying to implement their own content management system (which was terrible beyond belief).

The new "new" owners know this and are currently working to fix it (over the last few days). It is their first priority, along with original content.

If you registered through the forum page, it will work. If you registered via the home page, it will not. This is due to how the databases were linked together. Hopefully there will be a fix for this sometime next week. It has nothing to do with spam blockers.

There are a ton of changes coming for the better. There is now a budget and a dedicated group of professionals who value the community and are looking to get it fully operational in as short a time frame as possible.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
So here is the scoop. The old, "new" owners of ridemonkey screwed up a ton of stuff with the database by trying to implement their own content management system (which was terrible beyond belief).

The new "new" owners know this and are currently working to fix it (over the last few days). It is their first priority, along with original content.

If you registered through the forum page, it will work. If you registered via the home page, it will not. This is due to how the databases were linked together. Hopefully there will be a fix for this sometime next week. It has nothing to do with spam blockers.

There are a ton of changes coming for the better. There is now a budget and a dedicated group of professionals who value the community and are looking to get it fully operational in as short a time frame as possible.
Hey everyone!

So I'm totally new to this site - so you'll have to forgive me if I don't know the protocol, and manage to act like an ultra-n00b. :)

Fraser is right though, there are some serious issues with this site right now and its time to fix them! I'm part of a development team that has been running www.newschoolers.com for the last 5 years, and we're taking on the task of improving Ridemonkey.com. Hopefully we can help bring some value back to the table in terms of site improvements and features... thus far there hasn't been much in the way of cool useful stuff. :)

We've only been on it for a few days, but we've backed up the databases and are attempting repairs on a version of the site hosted elsewhere. This will make sure we don't screw anything up on the live site!

What we did find is that the problem with registration is due to the integration of the CMS (part where you upload content) and the Forums. For some reason occasionally there will be a glitch between them and your registration gets confused. This is priority #1 for us to fix, but might still be two weeks or so until we can get a handle on it. Please don't hesitate to hit me up via email if you're a random person reading this thread and ultra-frustrated that you can't register. dbishop@grindtv.com - this one will work and we'll make sure to keep you on a list to get registered when things are fixed.

Don't hesitate to contact me, message me, or post up anything and everything you want to say about the state of Ridemonkey. We're here to help, and we need your feedback as much as is possible to know what we need to do.

jonKranked - I'm interested to hear about the paid accounts... what was the deal with them?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks for the feedback. Its nice to get some info from the horses mouth! :cheers:

In regards to the paid accounts, they obviously haven't been around for a while. From what I recall, for a flat monthly or annual fee (I can't remember which or how much it was), you would be able to view an ad-free version of the site (properly formatted, instead of using an ad-blocker that will still have blank spaces for ads), and I believe it also granted you a larger file size allocation for attachments, as well as being able to store a larger number of Private Messages. There may have been a few other perks, but those were the primary ones.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Interesting... how long ago was it taken away?

Our first priority of course is to dial in the site and get it back to 100%. Then we can look into whatever else you guys want!

The monthly/annual fee is definitely the way to go if a pay model is there. I know with newschoolers we've never had enough interest to actually implement it. When it came down to it, as long as the ads were implemented tastefully (and so that they didn't slow down the page) the majority of people would just prefer to keep the site free.

Bonuses on upload limits and messages, etc are an interesting idea though...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's been several years since it was available. Some of the mods might be able to key you in to some better info, as they've been around longer than I have.

I know that there are a good number of monkies who browse from work, and the completely ad-free format was a little less conspicuous for us ;)

One of the reasons that myself and a few others keep bringing it up is the recent increase in the number of roll out ads, which were interfering with browsing the site.

edit: one thing I'd REALLY like to see is the ability to embed Vimeo videos. We've already got YouTube capability, and from what I've seen on other sites embedding Vimeo can be done. There are quite a few members here that prefer Vimeo over YT (for a number of reasons, I like Vimeo because its more for people who actually film and generate real content, not a bunch of kids posting videos of them playing video games or ranting in web cams), so embedding Vimeo would be pretty nice.

Last edited:

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Alright well we'll look into all the possiblities. Its tough to get rid of all advertising when you're trying to run an ad-supported business... its hard to find a balance between a reasonable subscription rate and what advertisers will pay.

I hope we can help integrate the ads a bit more tastefully, so that they won't kill the site experience. Really as long as ads are properly integrated on to the page, the units themselves aren't annoying, and they don't slow down load time, its not too bad.

As for the vimeo thing, consider it added to the list. We'll see what we can do! We really also want to add the ability for you guys to upload quality videos right to RM. But properly integrated, not like it is right now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Alright well we'll look into all the possiblities. Its tough to get rid of all advertising when you're trying to run an ad-supported business... its hard to find a balance between a reasonable subscription rate and what advertisers will pay.
Which is totally understandable. These things don't pay for themselves. Its also completely possible that there won't be enough interest in paid subscriptions to make it a worthwhile project.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Hopefully we have lots of time to chat about these ideas after we get this thing fixed up a bit. Is it horribly slow for everyone else too? Do the pages stall on the ad loads?