Quantcast

Problems with Race Face Customer Service

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007
Several weeks ago I had the distinct displeasure of calling Raceface customer service and dealing with their customer service rep, Shannon. I was calling at 1pm PST on a Friday to try and find a RF headset to complete my new freeride rig, and after a just a minute or so, Shannon hung up on me. I called simply to get some info on where I could get their product, but Shannon was of no help. He started out unhelpful and uncaring, and quickly turned arrogant and downright rude, at which point he then hung up. This was a complete shock, which quickly turned to frustration and anger, anger that I've blindly cared about using RF products, when their own people could care less. I had previously tried to use the RF website to find local dealers, but their contact info posted is outdated and innacurate, so I expected the source to be able to help me.

After this incident, I went back to the RF website, and found some interesting info. Their claim of, "Dedicated individuals who take an enormous amount of pride in their work, from design engineers to folks boxing product, the RF employee's share the same passion as you, (Me)", is apparently untrue. They also state that "The quality of the products and Service they provide shows this passion".

Based on this information published on their website, there can be only 3 possibilities;

#1 Not including customer service between mention of engineers and boxers was done specifically and intentionally.

#2 There was a company wide black out of all aforementioned policies, which specifically targeted customer service.

#3 Shannon is not an employee of RF, but rather a rogue industry competitor, sent to infiltrate and bring down RF from the inside.

Whatever the reason, way to go Shannon, I went and spent $130 on a Chris King headset, just like everybody around recommended from the start. I also sent back the RF headset from Jenson that was on backorder once it arrived. With a core group of riders traversing downhill from Santa Barbara to San Diego, I'll be sure to spread the RF company line with everyone in an attempt to keep anyone from having their time and money wasted sourcing and buying parts from a company who just doesn't care. As a show of my promise, here's a picture for you. The bike in question that needed your product is the new VP free up there, World Cup Roco shock, Works prepped, Ti sprung 888 RC2X's, etc. I'll work on getting the Diabolus parts on it right now replaced with replacements from other companies that actually care about their customers, thanks for showing me the light.

Given the above we created what we think to be a fitting tribute to Shannon!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ever think you might have been the problem? BTW, RF doesn't sell directly to the public, and I think you have shown the reason why.

P.S. Raceface is distributed by many large wholesalers, including the largest in America, QBP. One reason why their dealer list is incorrect or out of date is that they probably list every client of these wholesalers, whether they stock these products or not.

You should have just ordered from your LBS or gone to mail order.

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
LMAO,...bad customer service sucks, I agree, but you could have spent all that time looking for a good line to ride,......

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
What's wrong with calling the manufacturer asking who would have their product in stock? When I called Black Spire asking them who would have their headest in stock, I needed a low stack height, they gave me a few ideas on where to look.

OGDMFG

Monkey
That situation really sucks, so you really think that bad mouthing a company that hung up on you is going to do any good,hate to break it to you but that is how most industries outside of bike world are run.go ask you local company for info some. see what the answer really is. most of the time these people have to answer most stupid requests. Ok so I have ranted enough, maybe I am wrong.

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
What's wrong with calling the manufacturer asking who would have their product in stock? When I called Black Spire asking them who would have their headest in stock, I needed a low stack height, they gave me a few ideas on where to look.
Agreed... I did the same thing with Cove. They told me right where to go to get a new derailleur hanger for my Stiffee.

I LOVE the sign, by the way!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Sanjuro's spot on with his statement. RF prolly deals with 1000 distributors world wide, and those distributors deal with 1000's of retailers each.

Black spire is grass roots compared to RF, so the likelyhood that they might immediately know where the parts may be is pretty good.

Support your local LBS, if you don't they won't be there when you need them.

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007
Sanjuro's spot on with his statement. RF prolly deals with 1000 distributors world wide, and those distributors deal with 1000's of retailers each.

Black spire is grass roots compared to RF, so the likelyhood that they might immediately know where the parts may be is pretty good.

Support your local LBS, if you don't they won't be there when you need them.
I did end up supporting the local bike store after all, they had the Chris King. Not a single bike store from Oxnard to Burbank had any stock of RF headsets, but no shortage of FSA, Cane Creek and Chris Kane? One downhill specific shop stated that I would be better of with an FSA unit then the RF unit, better quality, less money. This didn't deter me, I continued calling around until I was reduced to talking to Shannon, and look where that got me, his only help was to convince me to get a nice shiny new C.K. headset!

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007

Exactly! Only this time the only help I got was the shove into another manufacturer's products?! Crazy how that works, or even helps them?

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007
raceface stuff is everywhere - should have just bought online - wtf?!?! :)
Yeeeaaahhhhhh........, maybe re-read the post..?

Backorder=find one now so's we can ride that weekend/Call manufacturer, told to bite him and RF products, (Nutshell)=find different brand so we can ride that weekend.

Thanks for taking a stab at it, though!

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007
That situation really sucks, so you really think that bad mouthing a company that hung up on you is going to do any good,hate to break it to you but that is how most industries outside of bike world are run.go ask you local company for info some. see what the answer really is. most of the time these people have to answer most stupid requests. Ok so I have ranted enough, maybe I am wrong.
Hmmmmm, if simply asking where to buy a current rf product in stock within a 68 mile radius of us qualifies as a stupid request, count me in!!!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
FYI, you can quote more than one reply all in a single response. Just looks kinda strange when you have 5 reply's in your own thread, one after another.

Welcome to the Monkey! :monkey:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hmmmmm, if simply asking where to buy a current rf product in stock within a 68 mile radius of us qualifies as a stupid request, count me in!!!
Again, since Raceface has no idea who is buying headsets from QBP, all they could tell you is that the distributor has it or not (which they do).

BTW, I have talked with Shannon before. He seems like a very professional inside rep.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Again, since Raceface has no idea who is buying headsets from QBP, all they could tell you is that the distributor has it or not (which they do).

BTW, I have talked with Shannon before. He seems like a very professional inside rep.
Honestly. You might as well call Shimano or RockShox and ask them if your lbs has a derailleur or fork in stock.

CaliDropper

Chimp
May 22, 2007
FYI, you can quote more than one reply all in a single response. Just looks kinda strange when you have 5 reply's in your own thread, one after another.

Welcome to the Monkey! :monkey:
Thank you for the welcome, I've bought several parts off members here, all with great success! How do I do the reply to quote thing?

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Huh. A couple of months ago I was building up my Dirtbag and getting ready to swap my trusty Diabolus stem over to it. The bolts were all rusty and played looking, so I mailed RF and asked if I could buy a set of new bolts from them: I got a reply back from Shannon the next day asking for my address, and he said " I just happen to have a set right here on my desk, I'll drop them in the mail tomorrow." I offered to pay for them when I sent the address, he said it was no problem and four days later a fresh set of new bolts arrived at my work. Damn fine CS, in my book, and one of the reasons why I will go back to RF for their parts and soft goods (I also use their armor religiously). Now, I've had my share of bad CS experiences (notably with a major bike manufacturer who will remain unnamed), and I deal with the public in the impersonal environment of telephone and email correspondence as part of my job and I know there always at least two sides to every story. I've never railed against the bike company that did me wrong (in my eyes) online because in the end someone at the company fixed it as best they could, I just replaced the bikes I had bought from them with brands I know to have better CS (this was a deciding factor in my purchase). Maybe I was to blame for their bad CS, maybe not but I spoke with the most powerful tool at my disposal, my wallet. Bottom line, there's something missing from this story and in my experience Race Face customer service has been excellent and their products have withstood all the tests a 225# rider can throw at them.

P.s. I'm running Diabolus Bars, stem and post on my Dirtbag and Evolve DH X-type cranks & BB, stem, post and bars on my Coiler D, and am three brutal seasons in on a set of Rally leg armor and two months and one nasty crash in on a set of Rally arms and I have never had a problem or complaint regarding my RF gear.