Quantcast

Product Ideas?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
You know, ive actually had one designed for a few years now. Im actually a big fan of linkage and lever forks. The one i have designed for bicycles is a spin off of Valentino Ribi's design. The problem with linkage systems is people are always a weary of a new design and dont like to stray away from the norm. Like the Ribi system was by far much better than a telescopic fork. I cant remeber who but one of Hondas riders loved it so much they talked honda into buying the design from Ribi. they ran it on their works bikes for 2 years. it never reached production because of expense and because people were afraid of it. A properly designed linkage fork can almost totally eliminate fork dive which I dont think people realize but oh well, i wont rant about that lol.

Here is a picture of the ribi fork on a works '80 CR250.
*note: this was also the year of the twin cylinder CR that got banned before it even came to the states lol. Lets just say it was violently fast!
Shhh, dont tell anyone...Ive had this project running for a little while for DH racing. IE big braking bumps + high speeds = lots to be gained from more braking control.

It is feasible to build a more reactive and lighter front end using this technique, just need to find someone to plunk down the money. We have tech details semi-worked, just need to finish it. Want to make the thing?

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
A case or pod for carrying a multi tool, CC/ID, and cash that is designed to attach to a DH bike while staying secure and out of the way during DH runs.
I hate carrying this crap in my pockets (if my dh shorts have pockets that is) when lift access riding or shuttling, and yes..........Backpacks suktor!

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
People talked a lot about you making a Fox 40 crown that will accept an integrated stem, you should instead make the crown and stem out of one piece of aluminum. No bolts to attach the stem to the crown, less weight, and just about everyone runs a 50mm anyway.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Shhh, dont tell anyone...Ive had this project running for a little while for DH racing. IE big braking bumps + high speeds = lots to be gained from more braking control...
...It is feasible to build a more reactive and lighter front end using this technique...
...Want to make the thing?
Another benefit is on step desents. less prone to the nose dropping, goin over bars routine.
We are on the same page:clue:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Another benefit is on step desents. less prone to the nose dropping, goin over bars routine.
We are on the same page:clue:
Without derailing your thread to much....
This depends on the design. One of the huge advantages of a linkage fork is the ability to dictate axle path. Many designers thought that a path went backwards and then up would be great for square edged hits. I had a 4" girvin vector with this J-shaped axle path. You could run straight into a curb and the fork never flinched. Pretty good for a 4" fork.
The problem came on steep stuff. The fork would dive under and the rebound, catapulting the rider over tha bars. Fun times....

I agree that linkage forks offer huge promise. Everytime I see a newer BMW motorcycle I think how awesome it would be to build a fork based around a highend rear shock.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Without derailing your thread to much....
This depends on the design. One of the huge advantages of a linkage fork is the ability to dictate axle path. Many designers thought that a path went backwards and then up would be great for square edged hits. I had a 4" girvin vector with this J-shaped axle path. You could run straight into a curb and the fork never flinched. Pretty good for a 4" fork.
The problem came on steep stuff. The fork would dive under and the rebound, catapulting the rider over tha bars. Fun times....

I agree that linkage forks offer huge promise. Everytime I see a newer BMW motorcycle I think how awesome it would be to build a fork based around a highend rear shock.
Yes, you're correct, it definatly depends on the design.
The fork i have designed and will someday finish, is based off of using a rear air shock like the dhx air.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Anybody out there reading this thread know where I can find a production, or manufacturing shop? I have a design idea and prototype built for something I want to have made. I am working on the patent so I will not divulge the idea here but I am looking at my next step of finding someone who can build it for me.

I do not think I am looking for a machine shop though. The product will be metal tubes and peices that will need to be welded. Plus maybe some plastic or hard resin parts.
Find a good prototype shop. Almost any plastic can be machined just like metal. It will be more expensive per part than molding, but it if far cheaper for 100 parts. (ie, no $80k molds)
You might have to source your stuff to a few different shops. Maybe have your parts machined and then have them welded at a good high-end weld shop. Around here there are some really good FAA certified weld shops that charge a bundle but do increadible TIG welding.
I think you will have a hard time finding a turn-key shop unless you pay out the nose.
You might also try e-machine shop. I've heard of several people getting decent parts from there but I have no personal experience.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Find a good prototype shop. Almost any plastic can be machined just like metal. It will be more expensive per part than molding, but it if far cheaper for 100 parts. (ie, no $80k molds)
For 20 to 100 plastic parts, the best option would be:

1) Create an SLA (rapid prototype made by a laser shooting into a box of liquid plastic.

2) take the SLA and make a poured urethane mold around it.

3) cast urethane into the mold to make the parts. There are various urethanes that closely match almost every plastics available.

You can get pretty good detail with this process. I'd have to see the finest detail of the design to know for sure. Do you have a cad model or a machined prototype?

Anyway, if your interested, I can direct you to the shop that I use to for prototype plastic parts made this way. They're not cheap but are less expensive typically than machining out of blocks of plastic.

Whatever you do, get a non-disclosure agreement signed with anyone that you show the design to. It's important to do that for your patent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A guard that can be put on a hub to stop the chain from dropping between the spokes and cassette, would have to sacrifice a cog to make room.

Cleats for Eggbeaters made out of a harder material that won't wear out so fast.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
3) cast urethane into the mold to make the parts. There are various urethanes that closely match almost every plastics available.

I worked at a prototype shop that used to do everything with injected urathane. According to the owner, they basically invented the process.
Anyways, we bought a couple of Mori Seiki 5 axis machines and 3 seats of mastercam. We soon learned that we could machine almost anything faster than we could mold it. Most of our parts were made from very specific materials so they couldn't be molded anyways.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for the info.

My design is super simple for 90% of the item. One weld shop could handle making 90%.

There is a mechanical component that has a few parts that I think can be made from plastic. I have a friend that owns a helmet company that makes plastic helmets for kayaking. They have their stuff made in china. He seems to think one shop should be able to do the whole project.

I made the prototype out of parts from home depot. so I am sure their are better materials that can be used to replicate my prototype.

I am getting all my paperwork in order before I show the design to anyone. I am sure as soon as I have the product out it will be copied by several companies who have existing product lines that can have it to market much faster then I can. So I am trying my best to keep it a secret.

OH yeah to the guy who started this thread. I think you should machine some adjustable seatposts that do not cost $250. The new crank brothers/mavarick, and there is another company I have seen with one are too damn expensive. I am sure someone can make a cheaper still reliable alternative
I agree with Chris King, rapid prototype is the way, saving both money and time, try www.cadcam4u.com seemingly good prices, i got the parts done at approx 1/2 the price i could have got them done locally (although the pound to dollar exchange rate did help that) and they had my parts done in 3 days.
with regards to a confidentiality agreement you can PM me and ill email you a template.

your product sounds interesting, and i hope it works out for you.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Netwelle - where are you located? Would probably be best to work with someone close during the prototype build, at least in my experience.

mfg.com has been a pretty good service for me having sourced parts from around the country. I currently have stuff being machined in Illinois and Michigan I wouldn't have found local sources for otherwise. You'll get a lot of quotes if it's relatively simple work. firstcut.com might be worth a try for proto plastic pieces.

Zenki - if your company isn't on mfg.com it's worth a try. From the suppliers I've talked with they win about 1 in 10 jobs they bid so if you have an efficient bid team you can get a lot of work. Not sure on the cost for suppliers, it's free for buyers. If I was on the supply side I'd aggressively bid the jobs that fell into my "specialty" and work to build up the relationship. I have one shop I deal with that specializes in turning/screw machine work that obviously low bid the first thing they quoted for me but they've gotten a lot of work out of it at a fair price since.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
or not! check out this brilliant invention i'm developing (patent pending! stay away!):

just curious, what is the provisional patent number or description? I'd like to see the claims to see why it is better than the plastic disc that comes on walmart bikes and does basically the same thing.

Also, you do understand that if you havn't filed for the provisional patent yet that you just made a public disclosure and under EU patent law you are not able to be granted a patent. You could still recieve a patent in the US if you apply within 1 year of disclosure. That's the reason NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) are important since it documents that anyone that you have one with is not the public and keeps your time frame window open. BTW: this was more of a PSA for everyone else here since I really don't want to see anyone getting ripped off.

With regards to Chinese prototyping, is it really a good idea to proto the whole product in one shop in China? Personally, I wouldn't do it for no other reason than information control. Heck, the US government doesn't even make all the parts for military weapons at one company within the US for the same reason.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
You know, ive actually had one designed for a few years now. Im actually a big fan of linkage and lever forks. The one i have designed for bicycles is a spin off of Valentino Ribi's design. The problem with linkage systems is people are always a weary of a new design and dont like to stray away from the norm. Like the Ribi system was by far much better than a telescopic fork. I cant remeber who but one of Hondas riders loved it so much they talked honda into buying the design from Ribi. they ran it on their works bikes for 2 years. it never reached production because of expense and because people were afraid of it. A properly designed linkage fork can almost totally eliminate fork dive which I dont think people realize but oh well, i wont rant about that lol.

Here is a picture of the ribi fork on a works '80 CR250.
*note: this was also the year of the twin cylinder CR that got banned before it even came to the states lol. Lets just say it was violently fast!
@ZenkiGarage

Any news with your Valentino RIBI spin-off linkage fork project? Do you prefer the newer single-shock version or the twin-shock variant? Did you built one? Could you post some pics of your design?

Wilhelm

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
@ZenkiGarage

Any news with your Valentino RIBI spin-off linkage fork project? Do you prefer the newer single-shock version or the twin-shock variant? Did you built one? Could you post some pics of your design?

Wilhelm
Is this a bicycle forum or a motorcycle forum? :think:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You need to start with stuff under $200 and earn some brand respect.
If you guys have cheap lathe time, pedals wouldn't be a bad idea. Do a really nice machined ripoff of the atomlabs with no bearings. Sell them for $100.
That and colors. Always colors. People love colors. Bright, loud, lots of variety.