Quantcast

proof that I do stuff other than talk sh*t on the internet!!

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
Not to be anal but you are Mig welding, not Tig welding. Tig welding uses a nonconsumable electrode while Mig welding uses a consumable electrode.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
lol, no pic is safe!

I want to learn how to tig. Years ago I needed to join some piping so I bought an arc welder. That ended up pretty shotty.

edit: or mig ^^

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not to be anal but you are Mig welding, not Tig welding. Tig welding uses a nonconsumable electrode while Mig welding uses a consumable electrode.
My bad. Had a few too many to drink last night. Bloody mary this morning. I'll fix it for ya :thumb:

edit: I still get the 2 confused. Cut me some slack I'm just learning. My first (few) frame(s) is(are) gonna be brazed though.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I look forward to someday learning TIG. MIG is easy to learn, but takes a lot of time and practice to master. My welds look like ass, but they are strong!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I love how my legs feel like fire when I weld in shorts. :D
experience is a great teacher. :bonk:

Poor guy. "once you go 'full retard' you can never go back".
Hey, I dish it out, I gotta be able to take it.

boxing a subframe eh?
Actually, the frame was already boxed. These shots were from when we were in the process of re-ka-jiggering the back end of the frame to accommodate for much larger diameter tires than the car originally had. He's turning the car into a 60's style gasser. Gonna be hot.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
boxing a subframe eh?

any of you guys want to learn how to weld you more than welcome to come out to my place, i have alot of projects sitting around,

shelby cobra 427 kit
4 link crawler buggy
40 foot car hauler

these should keep a few of you busy
I know how to Mig. Can I has a welderz?

Seriously...

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
here on ridemonkey being a pedantic bitch is a requirement. with this in mind I do humbly submit that JK is doing

FCAW = flux core arc welding
not
MIG = metal inert gas (aka GMAW, gas metal arc welding)

unless i'm mistaken the wire feed device that you're holding does not have a gas cup and you were not using any shielding gas during the welding process.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here on ridemonkey being a pedantic bitch is a requirement. with this in mind I do humbly submit that JK is doing

FCAW = flux core arc welding
not
MIG = metal inert gas (aka GMAW, gas metal arc welding)

unless i'm mistaken the wire feed device that you're holding does not have a gas cup and you were not using any shielding gas during the welding process.
Nope, there is indeed shielding gas. The pics don't show the gas cup well. It's using Argon FWIW.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A majority of publicly available wire feed setups can use flux core or gas wire as needed. The Hobart 140 setup I use can do both.

The only real problem with flux core wire is the splatter. Cleanup is a bitch, but most jobs (under a 1/4") can be done with either. Most car/truck frames are less than 1/4" in thickness.

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm a fabricator/welder by trade.... and I'm tired of it... nice skill to have, but I'm trying to move on to something else and just use those skills for personal stuff and not work anymore.

TIG can be a real pain in the ass... especially if you have to teach yourself by trial and error with no one to give you any pointers like I had to learn with ARC/MIG/TIG

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah shouldn't you have long pants on?? I guess this is the redneck way of shaving your legs....