Quantcast

Propain Tyee

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Putting together a Spindrift AL now for Bike Park fun. Finishing on the frame looks very nice, raw finish is great.

For the Tyee: You can defeat the through headset cable routing on the AL, it still has the internal routing ports on the top tube. For CF, I guess you're SOL.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Putting together a Spindrift AL now for Bike Park fun. Finishing on the frame looks very nice, raw finish is great.

For the Tyee: You can defeat the through headset cable routing on the AL, it still has the internal routing ports on the top tube. For CF, I guess you're SOL.
That's good to know, I was wondering about Propain's finish and QA control. If they keep the 230x65 shock on the Spindrift that could be a contender for my next frame (I have three 230x65/60 shocks so it would be convenient).

How's the alignment and general straightness ?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
On the ole Propain facebook group people have mentioned this (see below) bolt breaks and basically self-destructs the whole rear end:
1695929688407.png

Somebody has made a stronger bolt in the FB group, which who knows if it's actually stronger.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
That's good to know, I was wondering about Propain's finish and QA control. If they keep the 230x65 shock on the Spindrift that could be a contender for my next frame (I have three 230x65/60 shocks so it would be convenient).

How's the alignment and general straightness ?
Everything seems good, suspension moves smoothly without a shock. Not done building it yet, but everything is going smoothly so far. A bit tricky getting a shock in there (Tyee looks similar), I have no easy access to the HBO adjuster on my Super Deluxe Ultimate, maybe I'll cut down a old allen wrench and see if I can get it in there. Swapped out the Acros(sp?) headset which seemed kinda cheesy (plastic top bearing race) for a Cane Creek Headset, that went fine. The top headset size is a bit strange (ZS49/ZS56), CC didn't have any in stock, found someone selling a NOS headset on Ebayz.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I am loving mine performance wise so far. My biggest gripe was the cable routing under the bottom bracket, but I’ve rerouted the derailleur cable up the seat tube, and on the underside of the seat stay. I’m going to do the brake line next. I have the 2023 aluminum version, the new ones don’t have that shitty cable routing. Except for the carbon ones which go through the headset. I put in an angle set headset to slacken it out a bit, but I think the new ones come slacker than the 2023 version. Are use it, mainly as a trail/free ride bike but I have taken it to Thunder and Killington for a few runs at each place and it is actually a ton of fun on some of the DH trails. I actually just tried to put an order in for their downhill bike, but the couple extra larges that they got in sold out immediately.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The geometry is almost exactly what I'm looking for out of the box. I may want a little more front-center but I could get that with an angleset, and the fact that it uses ZS56 top and bottom cups is a major plus for that. Looking at that bolt shearing issue on FB now...not super confidence inspiring, but then again I've seen similar issues with other brands. The other major con I see is the 55mm stroke shock for 160mm of travel. Live-able but it restricts my coil shock options.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looking at that bolt shearing issue on FB now...not super confidence inspiring, but then again I've seen similar issues with other brands
Is it a hollow alloy bolt or something? The Norco Sights used similar on the first release of the new gen, and it was resolved on the next year models. We changed a few guys bikes to solid alloy or titanium options, so worth considering if the Tyee uses a standard thread and size for that application.

Pity about the cable routing on the carbon hey. Sick bike otherwise.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
The geometry is almost exactly what I'm looking for out of the box. I may want a little more front-center but I could get that with an angleset, and the fact that it uses ZS56 top and bottom cups is a major plus for that. Looking at that bolt shearing issue on FB now...not super confidence inspiring, but then again I've seen similar issues with other brands. The other major con I see is the 55mm stroke shock for 160mm of travel. Live-able but it restricts my coil shock options.
mine came with a Rock Shox air super deluxe ultimate plus or some nonsense. I put a Marzocchi CR coil on. No complaints.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Is it a hollow alloy bolt or something? The Norco Sights used similar on the first release of the new gen, and it was resolved on the next year models. We changed a few guys bikes to solid alloy or titanium options, so worth considering if the Tyee uses a standard thread and size for that application.

Pity about the cable routing on the carbon hey. Sick bike otherwise.

Attachments

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
mine came with a Rock Shox air super deluxe ultimate plus or some nonsense. I put a Marzocchi CR coil on. No complaints.
I'm probably going to go with a DHX2. Given the 2.9 average leverage ratio I'm looking at a 625 or 650 spring. Only 625 I see is from Push, which has an ID which should fit a Fox. Ohlins may also be an option.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ah yep. Hollow alloy. Should be easy fix replacing with a solid bolt or even a bolt/washer combo for the correct OD on the flat top.

Hollow alloy bolts are fucken stupid.

jayblackll

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
My SO was able to blow Rockshox SD coil in a couple of months riding. I'm not sure if the new super deluxe are bad or the frame has some big misalignment. Propain has it now for warranty, if they return the same frame I'll check it for misalignment and report back. Other than she is pretty happy with the bike. Not many 160mm travel bikes with 55mm stroke shocks. Other bikes with lower leverage ratio are not suitable for lighter riders who want coil.