Quantcast

Prophet or prophet mx (frame)

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
I think that ive made my desision to go for the cannondale prophet as my do it all bike (trail, short travel dh, jumping but not dirt).
so.... what are the differences between the two other than the 12mm back end? Id like the qr for compatability with wheels(swaps when i want to do st dh) but if that means sacrificing a whole load of strength then i would go for the mx and does anyone have any weight figures?
id also quite like to try some 4x on this and was wondering if itd be possible to drop a shorter shock in to give around 4/4.5" of travel(wind down the forks to similar) withought effecting geo too much (obveously the bb would drop) will the back end lengthen out? i heard that they have a shortening swingarm rather than a lengthening if so that would be ideal.
Also concidering that i want it to be realy chuckable what size would you reccomend for a 5'10/11" rider?
oh and is there a price difference?

:cheers:

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
The Mx has the 12mm rear end and the frame is heavier because the frame is has extra reinforcement. I have both frames and would recommend buying a MX becuase it is a little stiffer, but I don't recommend spending the extra $$$ for a MX if you already have a Prophet (like I did).

the mx has the gemini BB shell, which includes iscg tabs, also there is a small gussett under the downtube at the headtube. so a tad heavier but minimal. you can throw a shorter shock in there, but you need to be careful about hitting the tire to the seat tube. chase has done it and started taking the paint of his seat tube. i would run it stock first and get a feel for it, in the slack position it is pretty damn low, and with a shorter than 5.5" fork you will really drop it low, and steepen that same angle. but it is an awesome frame, i have two, one med, one large. one for trail riding and one for screwing around on. if you want flickability at your height go with the medium

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Another cheaper option is to get a gemini and trade out the 7-7/8x 2.25 shock for a 7.5x2. For an all around bike, that setup with a pike works great. I love mine.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I went used with mine, got a frame, rear wheel, seat/post for $450. Built up with not too light parts, it's 33.5 lbs. How much lighter is the mx frame? Does it have a steeper HA?

69/67 HA. and it is lighter, not sure exactly the weight but is for sure....with some lightweight and some not so leightweight parts i have my trail one at 30lbs even...and will likely drop some weigth ehre shortly...and these are with some DH tubeless wheels. with a 36 talas, some mtx rims on straight guage, and some heavy cranks/bb/bars/stem all that stuff i am looking at mid 30s. so yeah it is lighter

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
i dont have the prophet already, so its what youd recomend, ideally i wouldnt want the 12mm but iscg could be handy although im planning on running 3 rings most of the time, anyone got any sort of figures on the weight/dif if its are we talking half a lbs or 100g sort of difference also strength wise is the only difference a reinforced headtube? no tubing changes?

size wize it was only ever the small or medium because the tt figures look farely long, so if you recon its beween a medium or large then im guessin the small is far too small

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
My small Prophet MX was 6.75lbs for the frame and shock (DHX air). It was also too small for trail riding. I'm 5'9" and I'd get a medium if I had to do it over again. I would definitely go with the MX for the thru-12 rear axle - it really ties the rear end together and makes it track better.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Prophet MX- sounds like you could benefit from the extra stiffness and strength. It's not a huge weight penalty, but it might make a difference for you. ISCG tabs are a plus.

I'd go size medium with a short stem. I am about 5'9"-10 and I ride a medium (regular version, not MX) with a 90 or 100mm stem (can't remember exactly). I think with a short stem, it'd be great for 4x.

A shorter stroke shock might work, but I would not recommend using a shorter eye to eye length. Yes, you'll get the bike slacker and lower, but in the slack setting, the bike is pretty darn slack. For 4x, I wouldn't want the angles and slacker than that; I am a big proponent of the Prophet and I think the geo is perfect for carving the smoother, faster turns you might find in a 4x track. For DH, it might help a bit to be slacker or lower, but I wouldn't want to give up the travel. I'd say get the MX and see how you like it.

Edit- didn't read the whole thread: if you don't want the 12mm and iscg isn't that important, just get the standard. I'd think, however, that given your intended use that a standard complete bike wouldn't fit the bill, but a complete MX might.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i dont have the prophet already, so its what youd recomend, ideally i wouldnt want the 12mm but iscg could be handy although im planning on running 3 rings most of the time, anyone got any sort of figures on the weight/dif if its are we talking half a lbs or 100g sort of difference also strength wise is the only difference a reinforced headtube? no tubing changes?

size wize it was only ever the small or medium because the tt figures look farely long, so if you recon its beween a medium or large then im guessin the small is far too small
Well the 12mm rear axle is standard on the MX. I believe the sizing and geo is the same.

If you are worried about compatibility with other bike parts, then the regular Prophet is your choice. But I rode a MX at Interbike, and it felt great.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I say go MX, the weight difference really should not be anything you would notice and the 12mm rear end does stiffen things a bit. I'm 5'10" and I rode a medium....D

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
69/67 HA. and it is lighter, not sure exactly the weight but is for sure....with some lightweight and some not so leightweight parts i have my trail one at 30lbs even...and will likely drop some weigth ehre shortly...and these are with some DH tubeless wheels. with a 36 talas, some mtx rims on straight guage, and some heavy cranks/bb/bars/stem all that stuff i am looking at mid 30s. so yeah it is lighter
Mid 30's - does that mean 30.5 or 35lbs. ;) My Gemini with diabolus cranks, dh wheels (ft hope hub/ wtb laser disc dh, rr generic hub/ mag 30) was 35.5 lbs. Nothing special for the rest of the build - Pike race, heavy bars/ stem/ seatpost. I don't think the weight difference could be much more than a half pound b/t the mx and gemini frames.

And for the OP - if you're going to jump at all, definitely go with the mx. I'm probably a bit heavier than you, but the flex in the rear of the prophet is pretty obvious even over small jumps.

spalm12

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
sweet rig zman!! im rocking the prophet for a second season now and have absolutely no complaints. Right now i have the regular frame with a swinger 4way air and pike dual air; wicked nice ride - loves to corner and climbing isn't bad as long you remind yourself to stay seated. i think next year i may be looking at the mx frame, simply so i can run a longer fork (lyric) and from what everyone has said the 12mm thru axle does make a difference. Cannondale's customer service is also great to deal with - and hey it's handmade in the USA.