Quantcast

Props to Titus!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I had a disappointing day a few days back.
I took my bike in to help me with some drive train issues I couldn't resolve with my Racer-X. We discussed some possibilities, and we decided to put a new bearing kit in, finally put a new change on it, and a basic tune, and then go from there. I get a call the next day with some bad news. My lower pivot arm has crack right at the pivot joint. DAYYAMM! Not good. He told me a lower runs close to $300. Not good at all. To add fuel to the fire. My frame is an 2001. It was anodized all blue. They only made 30 of these. SO it was kind of rare, and I liked that. They only make polished rears now, so I'm screwed. I called Titus up, and told them what I had going on, and took care of me. They're sending me a new lower for free, and since they can't match it, they're knocking $100 bucks off the upper so it will match. I thought that was pretty cool of them. Considering I'm not the original owner and all. Then I tried to push the evelope. I asked if I could just do an entire trade in type deal for the 04 frame? I figure he couldn't blame me for asking, but he politely said he couldn't do that for me. That's cool though, I'm still happy. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running next week.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Blue ano with a polished rear... sounds ultra cool looking to me.

(edit, I'll never understand why so many people ride those tires... when I had them I had more puncture flats and more washouts than with just about any other tire, yet they are SO popular)

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
golgiaparatus said:
Blue ano with a polished rear... sounds ultra cool looking to me.

(edit, I'll never understand why so many people ride those tires... when I had them I had more puncture flats and more washouts than with just about any other tire, yet they are SO popular)
Yep, I think I'll be happy, besides the way I'm trying to look at it is, I'll be back on the trail, who cares what color the dang thing is. It's made to ride, not look at. ha ha!

I hear so many people complain about those tires. I've even had some one call them poser tires. But to be honest, and this will probably screw me, but I have had one flat with these tires, and no wash outs yet either. Knock on wood. I have noticed on boulders I feel a little nervous when it comes to traction, but so far so good. I made fun of my riding partner because all he does is preach tubeless. Well, he's had more flats than me. I guess I've just been lucky.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
JSB said:
I guess I've just been lucky.
I guess... I would have a flat about every other ride on those things. I actually found the opposite to be true on the traction. Iver rock sections they were pretty good because of the amount of surface area the square knobs lay down. I would have problems in the cornering and climbing department. I'm a pretty aggressive cornerer(?), I'm really not afraid to lean my bike and my body way over, as long as I'm carying speed)...with those tires I often found myself eating dirt... no slide, no push whatsoever, just !!!!BAM!!!!. For climbing I had problems on technical climbing, I would always have to plant my ass when climbing so it made technical situations kind of difficult.

If you really like those tires give the Conti Explorer a ride next time out... the grip is amazing in just about every catagory ESPECIALLY cornering. Weight is about the same and volume is about the same as well.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Just a few weeks ago I broke my Switchblade hanger, called Titus Friday morning & ordered one. (So I had to do a "Roadie" thing that weekend :rolleyes: ) So I give them a while & after it wasn't delivered by Thursday I called them again Friday morning. The girl said, "Oh, it will ship today". WTF? Asked to speak w/ manager, bla,bla,bla... Who agreed to overnight (Saturday delivery) the part so I could ride that weekend.
Well, the weekend comes & goes & now I'm a bit peeved.
Called them Monday & Alan apologized & said it should be delivered this afternoon.
So it was. A week later I get another package from Alan with another hanger and a note apologizing for the delays & hoped the additional hanger would keep me on the trail.

Titus Rocks.