Quantcast

Protecting top tube

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Well, my rear brake cable runs along the top tube, kinda on top but offset to the left a little (just to give you an idea where it is). I've had the bike for 6 years and never had this happen until just recently, I replaced the brake cables (yep, you heard it right...6 years with the same brake cables!!!)
Anyhow, after this weekend's ride, it would appear that the cable is rubbing the top tube from time to time and scratchin' it up. Anyone else have this? Anyone know if there's a product, like an adhesive or something, to put on the top tube to protect it?
(would a pic. of the damage help?)
Thanks all!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I remember seeing some kind of tiny rubber o-rings with the inner diameter about the size of the cable. You need a couple of them per cable and it might help a bit.

Are you sure your old cable was not scratching the top tube also?:confused:

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
It may have scratched a little...but this is pretty significant...I've definitely never seen these scratches before.

Yeah, I remember a couple of those little rings coming with the cable kit...figured since the old cable never really was a problem w/damaging the finish, that this one wouldn't either...hmph! Guess hindsight is 20/20! :rolleyes:

M

MuDHoG

all I have on mine is a tube covering the cable for the length of the cable. It cam with my bike....I would imagine a quick fix could be done with hockey tape but you can also get lizard skins for top tubes.

G

grommet

Use some 3M non-slip tape. This stuff has an adhesive back and won't come off plus it will never wear out. I use it on my chainstay as well. You can buy it in different width rolls.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Those little rubber doughnuts don't work so hot. They usually end up at one end or the other because they slide too easily. You could get some clear protective film like ski saver or some other adhesive tape. But then you'll have some ugly hunk of tape there. I'd just leave it if I were you. Even the worst scratches aren't much more than a cosmetic problem. If it goes through all the paint a little touch up paint or nail polish of similar colour will cover the scratch nicely.

Those runs of liner that go between the stops are dumb too unless they're the ones that plug over the ferules with the nipples. The liner prevents one from lubing the cables in between replacements without removing them completely.

What I want to know is , how the heck could you use the same cable and housing for 6 years!!!!!! I'm lucky to get 6 months.

Jul 1, 2001
Palm Beach, FL
For the paint: First try to buff it out with automotive rubbing compound. If that doesn't work, you'll need touch up paint.

For the future: This is similar to 'chain slap' on the bike's chainstays, which is best remedied by setting up a barrier. Look in your local yellow pages for a place that sells plastic tubing. What you need is a clear polyethylene or PVC tubing just large enough in diameter to allow the cable to fit inside. Alternatively, as someone else mentioned, some bike shops sell tiny rubber grommets for this purpose, but in some cases they resonate in the wind, creating an awful howling noise that will embarrass the hell out of you (much worse than squealing V Brakes)!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by oldfart
What I want to know is , how the heck could you use the same cable and housing for 6 years!!!!!! I'm lucky to get 6 months.

Heh heh...honestly, I don't know! I gotta admit, I wasn't quite as appreciative of a bike's components and the what-not until the past year or so. There was a SERIOUS amount of gunk on those cables when I took 'em off!

Jul 1, 2001
Palm Beach, FL
In the past, when wrenching at several LBS where I worked, I had some amazingly abused bikes come in that were still working (albeit barely).

I cannot remember how many old bikes I saw with tires so dry rotted and glazed that I was amazed that the owner could have ridden it in without a major crash and burn, but alas, we see the same sh!t on the road every day, bikes, cars, you name it!

My roadie cables last an average of one year to slightly more. My MTB cables (which are rarely used in wet weather) last about 8 months. My tandem's cables (used in dry weather only) last about a year, although they need a great deal of adjustment, due to the LONG runs to the rear derailleur and rear brake! My beach bike--I have dubbed my "Beachtrager" (which I actually ride on the beach sand with a high salt content), the cables of which last an average of only 3 to 4 months!

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I have been using them for a while and the don`t move or locate them selfs at one end or another , The reason your sliped is they where the wrong size some cables are smaller and they don`t work on those cables ( the cables with my sram grip shifters were really small ) ....