Quantcast

Protective gear. What is really necessary?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Comparing anywhere you ride to Whistler is a mistake, therefore comparing whatever protective gear you normally wear to what you should wear at Whistler is also a mistake. The thing about Whistler is how fast you get going. When you bail - and you will bail - you don't just tip over like you will on a technical trail. You yard sale. Those hurt. Whistler is no joke (pun only partially intended). It is not as technically difficult as other places, with the possible exception of a trail or 2 up in the Garbanzo Zone, but it is WAY faster, and so every crash has that much more potential carnage built into it. If you think you will never use the stuff again, then why complain about the $35/day to rent it?

I wear a full face helmet, goggles (which are a must have item if it is at all dusty or wet - which is most of the time), chest/spine/kidney/rib protection, elbow guards, shin/knee guards, gloves, and wrist guards. I would wear hip protectors and a Leatt brace if I had them (which I might soon).

One other thing to note. Most of the big crashes I have either seen or taken come at the end of the day when your confidence is up, along with your fatigue level. Scary combination.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Well, first thing you need to do is hit up your parents for cash. Claim it's an early birthday present, christmas present, whatever, but if you say you want protective gear to keep from getting hurt, they'll almost NEVER say no.

Second is knee/shin guards are a must, and then jacket/arms. You can get some of the Pricepoint house-brand stuff that's probably pretty good (a hell of a lot better than nothing!!) and maybe come in at $150 or so for knee/shin and body. Don't forget that there's a whole lot going on with the upper body armor, there are shoulder cups, arm protection, kidney belt, spine and upper chest protection. I probably would have been dead if it wasn't for my roost protector when I started riding DH, I came off a 6' jump wrong and ended up in the woods landing chest first on a sharp pointed tree branch (yay Plattekill!!). It was enough to gouge the plastic and I'm convinced that if I didn't have it on I probably would've been walking back to the lift trying to hold my intestines into my stomach...

Once you get used to DH'ing and comfortable on the various trails you can decide what armor you want to wear when, but if you've never ridden there before you DEFINITELY need as much armor as you can get your hands on.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Comparing anywhere you ride to Whistler is a mistake, therefore comparing whatever protective gear you normally wear to what you should wear at Whistler is also a mistake. The thing about Whistler is how fast you get going. When you bail - and you will bail - you don't just tip over like you will on a technical trail. You yard sale. Those hurt. Whistler is no joke (pun only partially intended). It is not as technically difficult as other places, with the possible exception of a trail or 2 up in the Garbanzo Zone, but it is WAY faster, and so every crash has that much more potential carnage built into it. If you think you will never use the stuff again, then why complain about the $35/day to rent it?

I wear a full face helmet, goggles (which are a must have item if it is at all dusty or wet - which is most of the time), chest/spine/kidney/rib protection, elbow guards, shin/knee guards, gloves, and wrist guards. I would wear hip protectors and a Leatt brace if I had them (which I might soon).

One other thing to note. Most of the big crashes I have either seen or taken come at the end of the day when your confidence is up, along with your fatigue level. Scary combination.

**** I am old enough and wize enough to wear full gear at Fontana!!!!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Get a used chest and back protector from someone that rides 4 wheelers or motos. They're pretty cheap. And wear a condom for extra protection while riding down the trail. Can't be too safe.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
What size should I get? I'm 5'8" so I'm in between a medium and a large.
Go to store, try them on. Height has little to do with the proper fit of knee, shin, and elbow armor. Muscle and joint size and shape has everything to do with fit. If you're skinny you may need a small. If you're stocky you will definitely need a large. No way of knowing until you try. The last thing you want is ieither cutting off circulation behind your knee or sliding down/sideways when you actually fall.