Quantcast

Protein Bars??

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
I've been lifting weights lately and I'm trying to increase my protein.. can anyone tell me if protein bars are a good source or will they just put the pounds on.. I need something simple and easy when I'm at work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Protein bars are an excellent source of protein. There are so many different brands, flavors, and protein blends though. MBC has a nifty protein bar "taste test" spreadsheet she put together. I'm sure she'd be happy to share it.

The bars I use are Myoplex Low-carb bars and Labrada Lean Body bars. There are others that I like, but these give me the protein/carb/fat ratio I'm looking for.

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
I had one of those designer protein bars today... it was pretty good but I still feel like i'm eating a candy bar.. so I need to be reminded that they are good for me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You are lucky if you find one that you think tastes like candy. The ones I eat are edible, but certainly are not fun to eat.

Of course, it might taste good now, but the real test will come five or six hours from now when it begins to digest. I've eaten bars that taste good, but wreak havoc on my stomach and intestinal tract. :eek:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well, I had a chicken and bacon sandwich for lunch, followed by a hot fudge sundae (ice cream social at work). I feel like a PIG. :)

I'm sure your bar will digest ok. Every person is different, and only a couple of bars don't settle well in my stomach.

Originally posted by RachBigMouth
I had one of those designer protein bars today... it was pretty good but I still feel like i'm eating a candy bar.. so I need to be reminded that they are good for me.
Have u noticed that all of those bars seemingly HAVE to be flavored like a candy bar? Or else I think no one will eat them. I know what you need to do Rach...EAT MEAT...muahahahahaha!

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I actually like the Powerbar Protein bar in the cookies n cream flavor. But then again I also like choclate powerbars. I think they have like 24 g of protein. I chomp one down after my morning rides when I'm on my way to work. I think they help w/ my recovery. Could just be in my mind though.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by spokedwheel
I actually like the Powerbar Protein bar in the cookies n cream flavor. But then again I also like choclate powerbars. I think they have like 24 g of protein. I chomp one down after my morning rides when I'm on my way to work. I think they help w/ my recovery. Could just be in my mind though.
One day I have mistaken my spare tube for a Powerbar protein + and did not notice a difference in taste and texture!:p

Originally posted by Acadian

:confused: :confused: :confused: whadda talking 'bout MMike??
Yeah, for all of you monkeys that don't know, aspertame is REALLY bad. They have discovered that when it reaches room temperature, it chemically changes into formaldyhide, or something damn near close to it. I drink like 6 Diet Cokes a day, so when my time comes, I don't think the funeral home will even have to bother with using embalming fluid...:(

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
In my opinion the low carb bars are kinda icky... the only one i can stomach is the Myoplex Lemon Meringue (or something like that.) I think a can of Tuna would beat a bar any day...yu can add mustard... salt/pepper.... smelly but tons of protein!

I am really not into the bar thing though so I guess my opinion doesnt really count:( ;)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by JOJO
In my opinion the low carb bars are kinda icky... the only one i can stomach is the Myoplex Lemon Meringue (or something like that.) I think a can of Tuna would beat a bar any day...yu can add mustard... salt/pepper.... smelly but tons of protein!

I am really not into the bar thing though so I guess my opinion doesnt really count:( ;)
I am a big fan of the protein bar. I also eat a lot of tuna. However, it's much easier to keep protein bars in your gym bag and work desk than it is to keep tuna. And who says you can't add mustard to a protein bar??

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I am a big fan of the protein bar. I also eat a lot of tuna. However, it's much easier to keep protein bars in your gym bag and work desk than it is to keep tuna. And who says you can't add mustard to a protein bar??
True that just might add the right touch of zest!

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
Originally posted by JOJO

thnx.. I'm now about to barf.. tuna and mustard YICKIEIEIEIEIE:eek:

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
I had that for lunch yesterday and I was seriously nauscious the rest of the afternoon.. I don't think I can ever eat tuna again:(

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
Pouch.. I was in a real rush and I h ad nothing to put on it.. anyway it just tasted really bad.. I don't think I can do it again:)

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York
by the way.. I tried a good protein bar called Nitro tech.. I know scary name:-) It was actually really good and very easily digestable:D

RachBigMouth

Yackity Yacker
Jun 28, 2001
New York

is it that you don't like Tuna in general or is it just the Pouch?? What I'm trying to figure out is...is the pouch tuna bad compared to the canned one?
The canned tastes better to me.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Originally posted by LeatherFace

Yeah, for all of you monkeys that don't know, aspertame is REALLY bad. They have discovered that when it reaches room temperature, it chemically changes into formaldyhide, or something damn near close to it. I drink like 6 Diet Cokes a day, so when my time comes, I don't think the funeral home will even have to bother with using embalming fluid...:(

Aspartane IS scary stuff...
Its been around sice '56 or so but they couldnt get it to dissolve well in water. Then they found that if they "wrapped" three mollecules of the stuff around a mollecule of plastic all would be well! Thats right...a petrol product that is small enough to be absorbed at the mollecular level! BAD NEWS. Not to mention the fact that phenalnalanyn hcl (sp?) that is in aspartane is an amino acid your body NORMALY produces on its own, that is untill it realizes that it is present in your body at a high enough level at witch time it turns off production. OOPS now you are reliant on an outside source for an amino acid that is used for the feelings of contentadness (sp?) and well being!:mad: :monkey:

Dontblink

Chimp
Apr 11, 2002
Houston

not anymore...

I buy the Starkist Fresh pouch...perfect!! No draining required and you can eat it right out of the bag!

Cool! I like tuna, but it's a pain to eat at work. Thanks for the tip.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i usuall dump my pouch o fish in a bowl with some relish of some sort and add various sauces etc and stir it all up to add a little flavor. then dump jalapenos on top. mmmm mmmm