Quantcast

Proto GT DH bike...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Holy sh!t...

I saw a pro at the U.S. Open riding on one... was also working on it in the parking lot a few cars away from me.

I went up to him and asked him what the hell it was. I saw that he was wearing a GT jersey, so I figured it was a GT. He just kind of laughed and said he was "borrowing it" to try out for the weekend.

The one I saw had a somewhat polished frame - can't remember much more though...

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I thought that GT had a prototype of bike out that used an internal gear hub mounted into the frame... and it looked cool too. But this sucker is u-g-l-y! I wouldn't ride one!

bc2002

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That's weird. I saw one of these in Whistler this weekend. I totally saw that circular jammy in the middle and saw the modified i-drive contraption, and said to myself that it looked like a GT prototype. It looked distinctly GT, but I personally think the older i-drive set-up worked well enough. Anyway, didn't have my camera and it was coated with mud so a pic would have been useless. And no, the synapses didn't fire enough to ask the dude what the hell that thing was. So in other words, a totaly worthless post.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
two guys I work with have been riding ID5s for about 7 weeks now, and both have developed severe play in the main pivot, floppy like a cock in a sock.

Cant say I was overly impressed, the solution is to shim the pivot out.
Not cool.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003

Man, someone move that bike, it is blocking my veiw of the DHR

That thing would go so well with a fox 40, what a butt ugly color :)

bc2002

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Banga said:
two guys I work with have been riding ID5s for about 7 weeks now, and both have developed severe play in the main pivot, floppy like a cock in a sock.

Cant say I was overly impressed, the solution is to shim the pivot out.
Not cool.

With the old method, I would tighten the i-drive pivot ring. Maybe with the newer method, tighten the bearing cups? Either way, your buddy should do it sooner rather then later because you can blow the ball bearings real easy riding through mucky grit.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
That's the new ruckus..not DHI.
Also it's a preprod color ;-)

Could show you pic, but I would be killed :-D

Don't know if I like it though. BUT they have certainly beefed up the dogbone!

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
bc2002 said:
With the old method, I would tighten the i-drive pivot ring. Maybe with the newer method, tighten the bearing cups? Either way, your buddy should do it sooner rather then later because you can blow the ball bearings real easy riding through mucky grit.
its a totally different desgin now, there are no bearing cups as such, they run internal headset sealed bearings in the pivots.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The guys had a black one at Whistler this week, and it looked pretty sweet painted up.

Dave