Quantcast

Proto Yeti Slope style!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
From MTBR

Its a 7 inch single rail version of the 4x.

Look for two more protos to be raced at the Otter

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Meh. Whats the point of the rail in this app.? Since its not a paired rail like the 303....marketing

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Seems like a regular ol' single pivot to me. The difference being it uses a rail and slider to actuate the shock (as others have already mentioned). Might be a great bike, but one has to wonder whether that level of added complexity and cost is worth it when the rail plays no roll in affecting wheel path.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
According to Yeti, the rail keeps the suspension more active under both pedaling and braking situations. Who can say for sure if it works or not>

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most other short travel yeti frames have a dogbone link, which causes the shock mount on the swingarm to move radially. By having the rail, it allows it to move linearly. I'm guessing it gives you different control of the axle path through the travel. Something new worth trying IMO.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Most other short travel yeti frames have a dogbone link, which causes the shock mount on the swingarm to move radially. By having the rail, it allows it to move linearly. I'm guessing it gives you different control of the axle path through the travel. Something new worth trying IMO.
The rear wheel mounts to the chainstay, so the wheel will follow the arc of the lower pivot

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The rear wheel mounts to the chainstay, so the wheel will follow the arc of the lower pivot
d'oh. missed that one. Maybe it takes stress of the pivot? or the swingarm? or the shock? maybe they get a price break on production by having a slider on more frames? maybe i should e-speculate some more :rofl:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
d'oh. missed that one. Maybe it takes stress of the pivot? or the swingarm? or the shock? maybe they get a price break on production by having a slider on more frames? maybe i should e-speculate some more :rofl:
I'll speculate with ya, it adds to the longevity of the shock by providing a stiffer mounting platform thus reducing the side load.....or, like you said, maybe they get a price break on the sliders

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
In my mind the rail benefits over a link due to a link will have a constant changeing angle. As angles change the spring rate is effectivly changed. Although the change on something that small wouldnt be noticable(i dont think).

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I could see that rail getting jammed up easily. I would think a link would be easier and more reliable than the rail. They could also position it to create some specific leverage ratios as it goes through the travel.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I could see that rail getting jammed up easily. I would think a link would be easier and more reliable than the rail. They could also position it to create some specific leverage ratios as it goes through the travel.
you do realize that they've been using the rails for a few years on the dh bikes without them "getting jammed up easily", right?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I can't believe they are still trying to push the slider thingy. Like Cannondale and their headshock/lefty they should just go with industry standard. I love yeti, and always will, I just don't think there is a future in the slider technology.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
you do realize that they've been using the rails for a few years on the dh bikes without them "getting jammed up easily", right?
I'm sure they work well when maintained and have lots of R&D into the rail design, I just think they should KISS (keep it simple stupid)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't believe they are still trying to push the slider thingy. Like Cannondale and their headshock/lefty they should just go with industry standard. I love yeti, and always will, I just don't think there is a future in the slider technology.
you were one of those people who thought biopace was going to be on every bike by now, weren't you? :busted:

I'm pretty sure the sliders aren't going anywhere.

And don't knock the lefty... have you ever ridden one? They're actually AMAZING forks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am no engineer but if this is a 'slopestyle' bike i cant imagine how good a hard side load from a botched 360 would fare well with that slider...

like i said what do i know but i would want a link on this bike...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
you were one of those people who thought biopace was going to be on every bike by now, weren't you? :busted:

I'm pretty sure the sliders aren't going anywhere.

And don't knock the lefty... have you ever ridden one? They're actually AMAZING forks.
Not knocking the function of their "fork". Making a point to stick to something standard that is proven to work. I love the fact they are thinking outside of the box, but I'm just not a fan of the slider.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
i am no engineer but if this is a 'slopestyle' bike i cant imagine how good a hard side load from a botched 360 would fare well with that slider...

like i said what do i know but i would want a link on this bike...
The slider would handle loads better no question about that. But when was the last time you've seen snapped links?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
my guess is that they foresee a huge price increase in DU bushings that shocks use, and in this set up, no DU bushings are needed.:brows:

but seriously, i would love to see them make a bushing version of the rails. bushings can run much higher tolerances, and can take bigger loads. basically a cut and paste of a front fork where the rails are now.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
One would perhaps assume that the rail is there as it would be impossible to use a swing link with the tubes they had in stock to achieve their travel goal? This seems like a great application for that tech v. the 303.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
looks sick but I don't really know why they're (or anyone else for that matter) calling it a "slopestyle" bike. I understand the idea is popular right now but lets be honest; how many of us are doing 360s off 30 foot drops? Most of the people are using these type frames for light duty downhilling and all around riding.