Quantcast

proton lock pedals... Discuss

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
http://shop.protonlocks.com/main.sc

"ProTon Magnetic Pedal Locks Should reduce the risk of injuries by providing a means to secure the rider to the bicycle pedal via the New HiTech Magnetic Pedal Locking Device. This allows the rider to maintain a positive attraction to the bicycle pedal through a new break through in magnetic materials, yet if the rider falls, the "side shear force" can quickly and easily release the rider from the bike reducing the risk of additional injuries. These units are made with A380 Die-cast aluminum body, Nickel Plated High Power Magnet, Chrome-molly spindle and sealed ball bearings. This is a fully serviceable unit, with replacement parts available. Made in Silicon Valley U.S.A. These are offered in two sizes the 3" X 3" "Mini" and 3-3/4” Pro full size. The magnetic force of the magnet will help keep their feet on the pedals while riding hard reducing the risk of "slipping a pedal". The Mini is great for the road cruisers and younger riders starting out in competition riding. It will help them learn to power out of the gate and maintain better control of the bike while in the air jumping. The "PRO" full size pedals are will suited for the "Down Hill" "Mountain Bike" group and larger riders in competition. 30 day satisfaction Guarantee, 90 day limit warranty on spindle & Bearings, 1 YEAR for Pedal Body & Magnet. Each unit is serialized. "

yeah i dont see why you would want these.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think this was posted a while ago. If the magnet is strong enough to hold your feet on over rocks and stuff, it might be hard to get your feet out, or you're feet could fall off constantly if it's not a very strong magnet. I haven't tried them though.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
If I get these, do you guys think it would it be OK to take my inside foot off the pedal when I corner reala hard?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
'd be good to know how they feel. I like the feel of my clipless and I think I'd feel my legs less secure in that kind of pedal.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
You have to keep in mind some magnets are insanely strong, and once touching, are going nowhere. These may be good for people that love to float around on flats, but want to keep their feet better planted through rough rock sections.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hmm, I just dont see them working at all, one of those theory and reality things. I really like the idea behind these pedals, I just dont see them being practical in teh "real world" Think back when you were a kid, and you would drag a magnet through the dirt, Imagine how well these are going to work when there coverd in iron. And anywere in the dirt is going to have that problem.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
You have to keep in mind some magnets are insanely strong, and once touching, are going nowhere. These may be good for people that love to float around on flats, but want to keep their feet better planted through rough rock sections.
There are easily magnets available that if you put your finger in between and let them close, your finger would need some major surgery. The thing that makes this interesting is the fact that magnets attract on one axis if you will. Think about those little very powerful magnets you get for fridge magnets, etc. Take the magnets out of the backing and stick two of them together. You can try and try and try, but pulling them away from eachother using the same axis that they rest on, its nearly impossible. But try "sliding" them apart, and it instantly becomes 10 times easier. I see these pedals working if done correctly... But once dirt/muck/mud becomes a factor, I see them failing miserably.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
There are easily magnets available that if you put your finger in between and let them close, your finger would need some major surgery. The thing that makes this interesting is the fact that magnets attract on one axis if you will. Think about those little very powerful magnets you get for fridge magnets, etc. Take the magnets out of the backing and stick two of them together. You can try and try and try, but pulling them away from eachother using the same axis that they rest on, its nearly impossible. But try "sliding" them apart, and it instantly becomes 10 times easier. I see these pedals working if done correctly... But once dirt/muck/mud becomes a factor, I see them failing miserably.
Maybe its a really strong magnet and you're meant to slide your foot to the side to release. If the magnet was strong enough, mud on the pedals wouldn't be a factor.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
When you get some see if you get your pedals stuck on metal ramps or lifts/gondolas with metal. Try to grind a metal curb guard :D

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well the mud would most definitally help with the "float" feel of the pedal ;) I'd definitally be interested in a pair if someone reports back that they work well in relatively ideal conditions. SPD's and pedals are easy enough to swap out if i know its going to be a rainy day....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My biggest thing, as a no-talent rider, is being able to put my foot back on the pedal after dabbing.

I bet that would be even better than flats because the magnet would position my foot exactly.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well, yes and no. From this discussion and what they're saying, it seems as if there would have to be some "play" in the magnet... But magnets want to locate on the same axis. It would be the same things as clipless, you know about where you need to place your foot on the pedal to find the cleat/clip, fiddle around a second and you'll have it everytime. I see these being a product that will hit or miss. If they come to the market needing work, I dout people will be willing to give them a second chance....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
©2001;2751501 said:
if your pedal rotates 180 when your foot comes off, does the magnet repell your foot :)

the future is sometime next week.
that's brilliant, actually. you'd only need a 1-sided pedal (weight savings), as it would always spin to the other side before your foot contacted. so rad. hey, what about using repelling magnets as springs in suspension systems? the repulsion rate is progressive, so you could eliminate the need for compression damping. holy crap, so many possibilities. magnets are the future!

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Hmm, I just dont see them working at all, one of those theory and reality things. I really like the idea behind these pedals, I just dont see them being practical in teh "real world" Think back when you were a kid, and you would drag a magnet through the dirt, Imagine how well these are going to work when there coverd in iron. And anywere in the dirt is going to have that problem.

i was thinking the same thing

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, yes and no. From this discussion and what they're saying, it seems as if there would have to be some "play" in the magnet... But magnets want to locate on the same axis. It would be the same things as clipless, you know about where you need to place your foot on the pedal to find the cleat/clip, fiddle around a second and you'll have it everytime. I see these being a product that will hit or miss. If they come to the market needing work, I dout people will be willing to give them a second chance....
With flats, I am looking to put my foot in the sweet spot, the ball of my foot over the axle. I can rotate my foot easily enough but if I need to slide it forwards or back to get the right position, I find it distracting.

If the magnets perform as advertised, I should be able to hover my foot over the pedal and the magnet should place it perfectly.

BTW, I would never use them for XC. Besides looking awfully heavy, considering the reason why clipless has been successful is the ability to pull up on the backstroke, I bet my feet would slip out on some hard climb.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
that's brilliant, actually. you'd only need a 1-sided pedal (weight savings), as it would always spin to the other side before your foot contacted. so rad. hey, what about using repelling magnets as springs in suspension systems? the repulsion rate is progressive, so you could eliminate the need for compression damping. holy crap, so many possibilities. magnets are the future!

On the note of the suspension... The only problem I see is a cracked magnet could mean catastrophic failure... that an finding a way to harness the magent. Let me try and explain... To have magnets powerful enough to repel/contract at a decent rate (given the average weight of a rig with a rider... what around 250-270?), the magnets would have to be held somehow. Making that holder strong enough to hold the forces of the magnet would be quite a task.

Also tuning the suspension might become an issue :disgust:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
With flats, I am looking to put my foot in the sweet spot, the ball of my foot over the axle. I can rotate my foot easily enough but if I need to slide it forwards or back to get the right position, I find it distracting.

If the magnets perform as advertised, I should be able to hover my foot over the pedal and the magnet should place it perfectly.

BTW, I would never use them for XC. Besides looking awfully heavy, considering the reason why clipless has been successful is the ability to pull up on the backstroke, I bet my feet would slip out on some hard climb.
Aye.. I gotcha. Thats one downfall with an incredibly sticky set of flats, and say 5.10's? Strictly from what I'm told, with 5.10's its a PITA to get your foot in the right position, but once its there, good luck rotating it. If thats the case.. Can't wait to get myself a set of 5.10s!!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
correct on the 5.10s...once in place, your foot isn't twisting...get it right the first time or expect to lose some time.

these is a clever idea...but your foot always has the possibility of slipping forwards or backwards...it would be the same sheer force that makes it easy to slide your foot off. It would be neat to try them in real life, but I thought one advantage to clips was fore aft side/side movement...or lack thereof...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
You bring up a good point.. Never thought of the foreward/backwards movement. But in theory, that would become a huge issue, real quick...

The way I see that being solved is by creating a flange the "cleat" would seat in... But that would eliminate the ability to strictly rotate your foot out of the pedal, but instead have to pull it out to the side. Hmm.. This product is promissing one moment, but disastrous at others.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
It looks like a standard Neodymium magnet you can buy from many online stores put into an aluminum machined pedal. I KNOW it will hit a rock eventually, and if you've ever played with neodymium magnets - they have a chrome like coating but underneath their brittle as hell - throw it against a metal door and the force of throwing it plus its magnetic force is enough to crack it or chip it. Imagine hitting a rock then. Good idea and all, but why not just think opposite...

Guy that makes "flypaper" pedals makes a version with a steel circle in the middle - not unlike a subway token with two metals for reference, then he also sells 5.10 knockoffs with neodymium magnet inserts instead of clip mounts. sweet haha and it'd be really cool walking on diablo's gondolas with magnetic shoes.

The thing i like best about these is the float possibilities and like sanjuro said - it autolocates ur foot for u. anyone with 5.10's and grippy pedals knows how crutial it is to get ur foot right the first time after u leave a turn going into a gnarly rock garden with a jump at the end.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
Would it not be better to have a steel plate in an insole instead and have a full (5.10) rubber outsole? Then you'd get all the no-twist benefits of soft rubber to spike, and then get whatever benefit these pedals are trying to give.
Next should be an iron saddle paired with a magnetic chamois.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You guys don't get it. These for are for pint-sized bmxers who are too light for normal binding-style clipless pedals to release safely when they fall... Not for adults. They offer a "pro" sized pedal, but these things are great for kids who are to young or light to ride clips.

Some people would say that little kids should race on flats... I don't really see the merit in that though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You guys don't get it. These for are for pint-sized bmxers who are too light for normal binding-style clipless pedals to release safely when they fall... Not for adults. They offer a "pro" sized pedal, but these things are great for kids who are to young or light to ride clips.

Some people would say that little kids should race on flats... I don't really see the merit in that though.
So far, I havent seen any of the youngsters that race for Us have any trouble getting out of the 545 shimano's. Just have to adjust the pedal properly for the rider. I sitll stand on the notion though, that once there covered in Crap from the dirt, there going to feel nice and Crappy, not that they still wouldnt work, but its going to feel like its grinding, and with that I see premature wear. Ill stick with my shimano's or mallots