Quantcast

Prototype chainguide/bashguard in the works...

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Actually the top srs guide is putting pressure downward on the chain and on the left side. So far I haven't dropped a single chain.(writing from iphone now) I will probably need something for the bottom roller but I'll figure that out later.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
There is almost no way (especially from your picture) that i can see that bottom roller holding the chain on the ring on any sort of trail.

The top one will wear fast if you're depending on pressure and it'll still come off most likely especially once you start to shift.

The carbon backplate you have looks pretty thin as well. The other carbon design in this tread had a better method by curving it to have more surface area. I can see issues arising with having it the way you do once you contact anything with a rate of speed.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hell, I've lost a chain with a complete SRS. All it takes is to get the chain twisted and enough pedal pressure to shove it right through the 1/16" gap between the ring and the roller plate.
That back plate will allow PLENTY of flex for the chain to come off anywhere it chooses. And you can't "make" a chain fall off. It happens in the absolutely worst place possible, which is usually in the sh*t nasty rockgardens or stutters. You wouldn't want the chain to come off there while testing anyway!
The LG1 and Truvativ type guides can work without a bash ring/guide ring because the chain is located on both sides by the top guide and the same for the bottom. And like I said, you can STILLget the chain to come off if it gets harsh enough. Ever seen some slo-mo of a chain slapping violently as the bike makes its way down a course? Scary actually. I'd have never guessed HOW MUCH hell a chain/derailleur have to endure.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
BTW... Just my opinion on this.. But what in the hell is the point of guides like the LG1, etc??? The makrolon bash rings don't weigh ANYTHING that you'll ever notice, atleast until you smash the ring into something, then you'll miss it. Seems like a risky way to lose .4 of a pound, and it just makes chain retention SOOOOO much easier.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BTW... Just my opinion on this.. But what in the hell is the point of guides like the LG1, etc??? The makrolon bash rings don't weigh ANYTHING that you'll ever notice, atleast until you smash the ring into something, then you'll miss it. Seems like a risky way to lose .4 of a pound, and it just makes chain retention SOOOOO much easier.
It weighs enough. And with a taco installed, you have the same protectin, for 1/4 the weight. Seems like it makes sense to me.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Alright, so last night I put the finishing touches on the carbon prototype... The boomerang weight about 45 grams, the top guide is a SRS piece that is trimmed down and it weighs around 18 grams, and the bottom roller is off the SRS and it weighs about 25 grams... plus like 8 grams for the BB bolts... So as of now it is in the neighborhood of 90 grams +/- 5...

Here's some pics of what it looks like... i'm going biking today to see if it works:brows:

Looking good dude. But I would suggest that you whack an outboard plate on the top guide and bottom roller like a few other people have suggested, because at the moment the chain still has freedom to jump out to the right.

Great evolution of design though; your mark II is a dramatic improvement on the first, and I really like the potential here.

One thing you can do to improve stiffness on that top arm is get a light 'former', like a balsa wood stick, or some rolled up newspaper and lay carbon over the top of it while your flat layers are still wet. Stick it down, and you have effectively created a cylindrical void of around 3mm down the length of the arm.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
^I hear you man. I'll probably have to stregthen it up a little bit. Maybe even a thin piece of metal inbetween the carbon...?? I still have faith in my top guide but the real test is the harsh riding conditions. We'll see how it holds up...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
It weighs enough. And with a taco installed, you have the same protectin, for 1/4 the weight. Seems like it makes sense to me.
1)-Do they sell the taco to regular Joe's? Don't see it anywhere on the site, not even mentioned as an option.

2)-What's the complete weight of an LG1 w/ taco vs an SRS?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
1)-Do they sell the taco to regular Joe's? Don't see it anywhere on the site, not even mentioned as an option.

2)-What's the complete weight of an LG1 w/ taco vs an SRS?
The taco is simply an old bashguard cut into pieces. Something engineered to do the job properly is coming shortly.

DW could tell you the weights, i am not 100% sure. It is significantly lighter though.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
^I hear you man. I'll probably have to stregthen it up a little bit. Maybe even a thin piece of metal inbetween the carbon...?? I still have faith in my top guide but the real test is the harsh riding conditions. We'll see how it holds up...
Yeah metal could definitely work, but its unnecessary weight.

You have to think of it like an I-beam. You really just want to create space between the two loaded sections. Whatever is in the middle doesn't count, because its movement is minimal. Its the two 'outside' members that are important, because you have effectively changed the force from acting on flexing them laterally, to having the force pull them in tension and compression.

Think of it like a beam, that is maybe 6feet long. Its cross section dimensions are 8x2". If you suspend that beam between two immovable objects like rocks, then sit on it, it will flex far more when you are sitting on it with 2" thickness with 8" width, than when you sit on 2" width with 8" thickness. You could drill holes all through the middle of that beam, and stiffness would only change marginally, because material in the middle doesn't really contribute to stiffness much at all. But since you have distanced the material's 'outside layers' further apart, stiffness is dramatically increased, because these layers are now more in tension and compression than flexion

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Hey guys, Sorry for the delay... I've done some more development to further strengthen the guide. As of now it looks like I'll make two different styles...
1) Guide only, similar to plain MRP, no bashguard
2) Intergrated chainguide/bashguard, like the prototype.

I've been working with version 1 and it awesome. Top guide is a modified SRS and bottom is a 9 tooth gear with carbon on boths sides so the chain can't fall off.
Just weighed it today and it is stupid light... Keep in mind I'm running a 32 tooth chainring, because I have a 23 tooth road cassette.
Anyways version 1, as of now, weighs 70 grams...
Version 2 will be about 20-25 grams heavier because of more material.

Again sorry for delay, but it is almost done.
Version 2 will done this week on my buddies Mongoose ECD, pics included...

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Version 1 is complete!!!
Version 2 is being mounted this week and being tested this weekend at local DH race.

Here's the goods:

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-09-18
21grams

24grams

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-09-18
23grams

Complete = 68grams

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Version 1 is complete!!!
Version 2 is being mounted this week and being tested this weekend at local DH race.
oh, it will be tested. the proto looks sick, a little thicker than what's pictured, and has the integrated bash. ill be running it on my ecd this weekend, so it was made with a bb mount only, but iscg holes arent difficult. the entire setup was about 99 grams, so its light, and stiff. hopefully we'll get some pics with it mounted before the weekend

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
OT: can anyone get a patent on a technique that is widespread and known to anyone in USA? The basis in patent is taht you must have an specific way to solve a specific technical problem in a way that is not already known or already patented (and most things are already known/patented).

That a company have applied for a patent does not mean anything.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
patents on guide devices-maybe
patents on flat pieces of metal/composite cut into a boomerrang-probably not