Quantcast

Prototype Intense M6?

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
sven sent a photo of this and no information. i know nothing about it, but it looks pretty rad.

info? speculation? this is different than matti's other m6 with the "curved" downtube, right?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Well, the tt looks like it's from a 6.6 or Socom and the shock looks shorter than a 10.5x3.5. Next gen Socom?

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
This is a 8.2" travel prototype I have been working on with Matti. the Idea was to make a lighter, less is more race rig. There are two of these with different geometries & they were fabricated out of various exsisting parts.
Once we get things worked out the packaging will be cleaned up.
The one in the pic weights in @ 37#, It will not replace the Socom .

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
hey man, seeing as you brought it up. When are you going to make some slacker dropouts for the socom already?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
This is a 8.2" travel prototype I have been working on with Matti. the Idea was to make a lighter, less is more race rig. There are two of these with different geometries & they were fabricated out of various exsisting parts.
sounds good!

Will it be released in 09?

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
One thing that i think should be done is that all the bolts holding the vpp linkage in place should be glued in with loctite before they leave the factory, i do 1 or 2 runs and the things are always coming loose it does't take 2 seconds to tighten them but the stress/flex the frame will be taken as they start to come loose half way down a run can not be good for the frame. My M6 is the best bike i have ridden though and i have no complaints, just them little pesky bolts comming loose il need to ge some loctite..

Has anyone seen the New M6 frame re-design?

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
sick! thanks for actual, real information!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hi Jeff,

You won't remember me from back in the old days of Seven Springs, Mt. Snow, etc when I rode expert for you on a "grassroots" team, but I always wanted to say thanks so much for all the help back then. You, Jen, greg & the crew got me into DH and I've never looked back.

Anyway, The M series are nice and all but V10's & M3's with 10 inches of travel aren't too useful on the East Coast. Having said that I know 3 friends with Socom's that absolutely love them for the tighter courses we tend to run.

With Hill & others running 8" & putting up podiums, what is the logic of still going with 10 inches of travel at any place except Mte. Saint Anne? Seems like the Socom would be the weapon of choice for those not doing full on European mountains.

Best Wishes,
Butch in NC

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the M6 is sweet and i like the prototype. Just curious what are the adavantages that your trying to achieve with the prototype. As in will it be lighter, stiffer etc. Also in the shop where i work in Ireland I have to work on a fair few 6.6s and 5.5s etc and they all suffer from the same problems. The bearings have very little in the way of protection from the elements. While I'm sure this is cool in sunny SoCal us rainy islanders of the UK and Ireland tend to ride in much muddier conditions and as a result any of my customers with Intenses that use the vpp linkage tend to have the bikes in the shop more than on the trail. This is mainly due to the bearings on the lower linkage either comming loose as the linkage tends to have to be tighethen up after every ride or else the bearings are prematurely wearing out due to being exposed to the elements for too much. I've seen that Santacruz offer a propack of replacement bearings which consits of bearing caps with rubber seals to help protect the bearings. Is this option available from Intense? If not I think its something you should look into as I'm sure the privater racer would benefit hugely from it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, that sounds EXACTLY like the bike most Socom and M6 owners would benefit from. I'd love one of those things.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
That has to be one of the best looking DH race frames I have seen in my 12 years of racing. Whats the weight of the frame and shock?
totally agree. Release it!
The new Trazer VP Trail Bike looks great too. Two super sweet bikes on my shopping list.

Hopefully I will get to see the proto soon at Semmering,Austria, where the Intense Factory Team is based.

Last edited:

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
the M6 is sweet and i like the prototype. Just curious what are the adavantages that your trying to achieve with the prototype. As in will it be lighter, stiffer etc. Also in the shop where i work in Ireland I have to work on a fair few 6.6s and 5.5s etc and they all suffer from the same problems. The bearings have very little in the way of protection from the elements. While I'm sure this is cool in sunny SoCal us rainy islanders of the UK and Ireland tend to ride in much muddier conditions and as a result any of my customers with Intenses that use the vpp linkage tend to have the bikes in the shop more than on the trail. This is mainly due to the bearings on the lower linkage either comming loose as the linkage tends to have to be tighethen up after every ride or else the bearings are prematurely wearing out due to being exposed to the elements for too much. I've seen that Santacruz offer a propack of replacement bearings which consits of bearing caps with rubber seals to help protect the bearings. Is this option available from Intense? If not I think its something you should look into as I'm sure the privater racer would benefit hugely from it.

We have developed a new bearing system on the new" Tracer vp " that uses angular contact bearings and Zirk fittings to charge & purge the main pivot bearings with fresh grease. We designed the sysetem so that it could be retrofitted on any of our previous VPP designs. We will offer a retro fit kit soon with good instructions and all the parts needed to complete the procedure including the proper drill bit for the Zirk holes.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
I own the New M6 a soccom and a 6.6.SS, Could you tell me what changes have been made to the M6 proto i.e angles, bb, wb etc if any? it looks similar bar the curved down tube, i had a think of what else you could of done to make the proto better and really the only reason i could think of why you changed it was due to the uncanny similarites to the M3 and the Santacruz!! I also heard that its going to be a hydro rear end all i could think of was weight saving with a hydro rear end?

Last edited:

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
I own the New M6 a soccom and a 6.6.SS, Could you tell me what changes have been made to the M6 proto i.e angles, bb, wb etc if any? it looks similar bar the curved down tube, i had a think of what else you could of done to make the proto better and really the only reason i could think of why you changed it was due to the uncanny similarites to the M3 and the Santacruz!! I also heard that its going to be a hydro rear end all i could think of was weight saving with a hydro rear end?
On Matti's ( M6evo) we were able to save weight with the Mono downtube, it has a massive cross section and is half the weight of the production tube and it has held up well all season . We were running a mono rear set up also and changed it back to stock as I am working on the second generation of that.
The rear also saved weight and Matti could notice it was stiffer.Also his frame is 1/2 " longer than stock medium & the rest of the geometry is stock as that is what they like.
The stock M6 will remain the same for 2009 and we will see what we come up with after the season with the M3 evo.

mr intense

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Hi Jeff,

You won't remember me from back in the old days of Seven Springs, Mt. Snow, etc when I rode expert for you on a "grassroots" team, but I always wanted to say thanks so much for all the help back then. You, Jen, greg & the crew got me into DH and I've never looked back.

Anyway, The M series are nice and all but V10's & M3's with 10 inches of travel aren't too useful on the East Coast. Having said that I know 3 friends with Socom's that absolutely love them for the tighter courses we tend to run.

With Hill & others running 8" & putting up podiums, what is the logic of still going with 10 inches of travel at any place except Mte. Saint Anne? Seems like the Socom would be the weapon of choice for those not doing full on European mountains.

Best Wishes,
Butch in NC
Butch,good to hear you are still out there and at it, Jenn says hey.
You got it with the Socom and they are very popular for those reasons.
The M6 is at 9.2" travel and at a lower leverage ratio 2.6 , this setup works well for the big, fast stuff. The M3evo would be a lighter more nimble, a less is more approach & focused on coarses that suit that style. I see a lot of designs do well these days and the most important things on DH race bikes are the correct geometry and suspention tuning & weight.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
On Matti's ( M6evo) we were able to save weight with the Mono downtube, it has a massive cross section and is half the weight of the production tube and it has held up well all season . We were running a mono rear set up also and changed it back to stock as I am working on the second generation of that.
The rear also saved weight and Matti could notice it was stiffer.Also his frame is 1/2 " longer than stock medium & the rest of the geometry is stock as that is what they like.
The stock M6 will remain the same for 2009 and we will see what we come up with after the season with the M3 evo.
Really appreciate the feedback Mr Intense. Your right about the geometry its spot on, im not sure about the Revox shock just yet i came from a BOS Stoy on my Socom and the difference is immediatley apparent in terms of the way it acts in the last half of the travel, i think the revox does not compliment the bike that well but i know you have the cane creek option i spoke to Dave Garland and pagey about it and they rave about it.

One other question: Is there any reason i should not loctite my bolts on the VPP system, they keep coming loose??

Ok enough chat im off out on the bike keep up the good work Intense.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch,good to hear you are still out there and at it, Jenn says hey.
You got it with the Socom and they are very popular for those reasons.
The M6 is at 9.2" travel and at a lower leverage ratio 2.6 , this setup works well for the big, fast stuff. The M3evo would be a lighter more nimble, a less is more approach & focused on coarses that suit that style. I see a lot of designs do well these days and the most important things on DH race bikes are the correct geometry and suspention tuning & weight.
Your wife was my first bike crush. Stikman's was #2. :thumb: