Quantcast

Prototype pedals!

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
looks nice, except i think they should angle the leading edge so they skip over the ground instead of digging in.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My fear would be snapping the bodies when you clip a rock, due to the number of holes. They look light and tight though, I'd rock a pair as long as the didn't cost holy hell.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I love anything handmade and niche'

i like em except the surface is not concave. that's the key to a grippy pedal IMHO. flat pedals with too many tall pins that cover the desk = no grip.

I like the pin count and placement your friends pedals though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
More pins = less pressure per pin = less grip

But then, I'm an SPD user.... ;)
Only if your lying on a bed of nails. :D
Actually your right in a sense that evenly distributed weight over a multitude of pins is like it being flat. There are the front and rear mainly in a row allowing it to find a nice tread pattern on your shoe to hook into. From front to back the pattern see 2 pins from right to left it sees however many are in the row.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anything homemade is cool, especially with that level of quality. A parralellogram profile and concave surface will be harder to make but IME make a better pedal. As for the number of pins, cool idea - you can always run less if you don't want all of them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, i like that aspect, I'd drop a few or even run varying pin heights to get a concave shape. I ride flats (atomics) that don't feel any different than my azonics (mildly concave) that I used to run. I do have a better bike and better shoes though.

I'd keep the pedals flat for a lower profile and less weight. Also, if you leave the pin number the same, people can remove the ones they want and swap placement when one side gets tweaked.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
ya having shorter pins in the middle and taller ones around the outside like somebody else said would be nice and having extra holes in case some get fu'ed up like tioga's is sweet. then make them out of magnesium and use ti or alu pins and they would be light too.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
this is another idea. i thought of it because right now i have syncros pedals.

the syncros pedals have insanely tall pins. i dont think my foot touches the actual pedal body at all.

everyone knows that the thinner the pedal the better. the thinner it is, and the bigger surface the less chance of it spinningwhile your feet are on it.

so to make the pedal as thin as possilbe, your friend tyler could knurl (sp?) the part of the pedal that has the spindle running right through it. then have the rest of the pedal dropped down about 3 mm. then have the pin hight differ to creat the concave. im gonig to draw a picture because i'm in a picture drawing mood.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
They look pretty good. They still need concave, less pins, and a leading edge like camp said. The machine works lookes VERY good though.