Quantcast

PS3 launch presentation - Live now.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
New controller has tilt function like the Wii and is shaped like the dual shock, not the boomerang.

Prices: $499 20GB, $699 60GB.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Changleen said:
You have got to be fvcking kidding me.

Note to self: break the new to the teenager gently - no PS3 this Christmas....

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Changleen said:
New controller has tilt function like the Wii and is shaped like the dual shock, not the boomerang.

Thank god. You don't even know how many jokes I heard about how many people were going to use that thing to pleasure themselves.:dead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
How can a 20GB memory upgrade possibly cost $200, a 500GD Hardrive can be had for under $150?

H8R, get the kid a Super NES even if you buy every game evr made it will cost less than $80
It'll be pack-ins. Xbox without HDD is $100 cheaper - but with HDD you also get headset, wireless remote, fiber optic/component cables etc.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
merrrrjig said:
When is it coming out? I will prolly buy one and sell it on ebay and make some $$$
November with 2 million units shipping worldwide. Supply will be even shorter then xbox 360 launch. (I have a few friends who were sitting in the conference room at e3).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Will this thing do video-in?

'cause if it did, and if the audio hardware is halfway decent, it wouldn't make a bad HTPC... with some hacks, of course.

:clue:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
That, is utterly ridiculous!!

It should be, at max, 399, 499.

Seven hundred dollars is a lot of money....... you could get a half decent used bike for that!
Uh, it IS $499. It's only $699 if you want the big drive.

What makes you say it's overpriced? Do you know how much Blu-Ray drives are running right now, by themselves?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
binary visions said:
Your Xbox won't do 1080p, though :p
ha, yeah, but he's been playing his 360 for 6mo, and will be playing for another 6mo while people *still* wait for the PS3. and I can guarantee that the 360 titles in nov will look better than the initial launch PS3 titles (they always do, initial launch games usually suck).

don't really have a favorite in the console wars (go PC!!), but I'm just pissed that Sony has saddled the PS3 with blu-ray. its expensive, it's going to cut into their overall sales of their gaming system, and most people don't need it. blech.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dante said:
ha, yeah, but he's been playing his 360 for 6mo, and will be playing for another 6mo while people *still* wait for the PS3.
Hey, there's always something new on the horizon.

don't really have a favorite in the console wars (go PC!!), but I'm just pissed that Sony has saddled the PS3 with blu-ray. its expensive, it's going to cut into their overall sales of their gaming system, and most people don't need it. blech.
What's wrong with Blu-ray?

Yes, it's expensive, but it's not outrageously more than the 360's initial release consoles, and they will come down in price.

Blu-ray ensures future compatibility with upcoming movies and allows much more data on their discs (they are, after all, trying to pack 1080p resolution textures on there). Sony has emphasized that this is not simply a "gaming console".

If you mean the whole issue with HDCP, I don't believe it's much of an issue. You can still get HD quality (720p, right?) on a TV without HDCP support, and anyone who's actually got the TV to run this at the super high resolutions is likely to already have a recent TV that supports HDCP.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea. i actually have to agree with dante on something. i haven't played my ps2 or any console in months. ever since i got a PC and decked it out(pci-express and such). i just use my ps2 controller usb adapter..

but i'm stll interested in the ps3. and the use of Blu-ray correctly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, I completely agree that the PC is a superior way to game. IMO, no controller will replace a mouse (or a trackball for you freaks out there) for precision control.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:
BTW, I completely agree that the PC is a superior way to game. IMO, no controller will replace a mouse (or a trackball for you freaks out there) for precision control.
I concur. I hate playing FPS on consoles...nothing like the mouse in CS:S for that sure headshot.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I've been a gamer of all types but when i became a hardcore gamer back in high school i was no a computer. Lack of money and use of a Mac has limited my PC gaming experience and i am a console boy now because i dont have to always worry about upgrading my hardware for the newest games.

Nothing will be the mouse/keyboard in an FPS but i have gotten real good with a controller and enjoy my 360. In all reality ill end up buying a PS3 too.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rumour has it that the xbox 360 has a mouse/kb type controller on the way. Hopefully it will be announced this week. MS press conference is this afternoon.

Oh also, my 360 looks amazing in 1080i, so I'm not really complaining.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mobius said:
I've been a gamer of all types but when i became a hardcore gamer back in high school i was no a computer. Lack of money and use of a Mac has limited my PC gaming experience and i am a console boy now because i dont have to always worry about upgrading my hardware for the newest games.

Nothing will be the mouse/keyboard in an FPS but i have gotten real good with a controller and enjoy my 360. In all reality ill end up buying a PS3 too.
True. PCs are far more finicky, unreliable, and far more expensive than consoles in the long run (if you want to keep up with stuff). However, I'm pretty happy just playing Counterstrike Source and Sim City 4. :p

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
dante said:
ha, yeah, but he's been playing his 360 for 6mo, and will be playing for another 6mo while people *still* wait for the PS3. and I can guarantee that the 360 titles in nov will look better than the initial launch PS3 titles (they always do, initial launch games usually suck).
I've already seen the screen shots for the Gran Turismo title on the PS3.......... that really is all that matters IMO!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
binary visions said:
What's wrong with Blu-ray?

Yes, it's expensive, but it's not outrageously more than the 360's initial release consoles, and they will come down in price.

Blu-ray ensures future compatibility with upcoming movies and allows much more data on their discs (they are, after all, trying to pack 1080p resolution textures on there). Sony has emphasized that this is not simply a "gaming console".
every single playstation that's ever come out has had the overall goal of "revolutionizing the entertainment system in every household", but has failed miserably. PS1s came with software to play CDs, and a crapload of unnecessary ports in the back because it was supposed to be a home entertainment system with a bunch of add-ons. Sony has been touting the fact that a large % of PS2s were bought by people who didn't have DVD players... of course, they didn't say how many people actually *used* them as DVD players. the 360 was supposed to be a multi-media hub, and allow streaming video over wifi from your computer, act as a DVR, let you use VOIP, etc etc etc. it's now pretty much just a gaming console.

now Sony is saddling its PS3 with Blu Ray, with the sole intention of using it to win the Blu Ray vs HD-DVD war. sorry, but i don't see as many people pony'ing up $500-700 for just a gaming console.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dante said:
sorry, but i don't see as many people pony'ing up $500-700 for just a gaming console.
yea i only see a couple million doing so... not many at all.:rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Uh, how many people JUST got done paying $500-700 for some of the first runs of the Xbox360?

The price will come down, anyway.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does this mean I will be able to get a PS2 for dirt cheap so I can play DH Domination all day and night?!?!?!?!?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
blue said:
Does this mean I will be able to get a PS2 for dirt cheap so I can play DH Domination all day and night?!?!?!?!?
i have to say, that game. drunk with 4 friends trying to play is really really fun.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
DHS said:
yea i only see a couple million doing so... not many at all.:rolleyes:
how many PS1s were sold? 100m+? How many PS2s? 100m+? If the "game console" 360 can outsell the "media center" PS3, it'll be devestating for Sony. The initial orders will sell out (of course), but since it won't be available till nov (with small quantities), it's not going to be readily available till next winter/spring. So imagine next march/april when Sony can finally make enough of these things, MS drops their prices by $50 since it will have been out for a year and a half by that point. Then you've got XBOX at $250/$350 and Sony at $500/$700.

I actually doubt that the PS3 will come out at that price (or stay there for very long). Sony is desperate for their BluRay crap to win, so wouldn't be surprised if they decided to lose a LOT of money on the system itself... Maybe price it $50 higher than the 360? Regardless of what happens, looks like the consumer is going to win. :oink:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Transcend said:
The xbox 360 works pretty damn well as a media center as well, I must say...
Untrue.

Apparently, it's just a gaming console, and nobody would ever use it for any other purpose.