Quantcast

PS3 Media Server is teh awesome

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been searching for an easy (free) way to stream movies and music from my desktop to my PS3 which is hooked up to my big screen and home theater system.

I tried the google media server but I couldn't figure out how to allow access to media files other than youtube and piscasa. So I came across this http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ It only took about 5 minutes total to download and setup both on the PC and PS3 and it very easy to use, just select which folders on your PC to allow access from the PS3 and you're off to the races, no messing with codecs, burning, file transfer or anything.

Definitely worth a try for any monkeys wanting to wirelessly stream media from their PC to PS3.

Peterjems

Chimp
Nov 24, 2009
That's something great! I never thought that I could stream the movies and the music from the PC to the PS3. I am going to give it a try at the earliest. Thanks for the information and the site for downloading the software. I will love to have such an application. Keep up the good work.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
My NAS actually has a media server built into it as well, you might want to check out the features on whatever it is you are looking at. Either way, the software above will stream through your PC from a NAS device.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My NAS actually has a media server built into it as well, you might want to check out the features on whatever it is you are looking at. Either way, the software above will stream through your PC from a NAS device.
Yea, that's one of the things I'm looking at (and one of the reasons I don't have one yet).

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Only downside I've noticed so far is when trying to watch a streamed video through the PS3 and surfing the internet at the same time. It seems like my browser is moving at 50% of normal. My wireless card in my desktop is old (about 2 years) would buying a newer/faster wireless card improve this?

killsdeer4fun

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
We use the PS3 to browse the computer server at Clemson from all the students in our building. We can pull media from the computers too. Hello biggest movie watching options ever.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Does the PS3 support wireless N?
no, but you can use a wireless to wired gaming solution from Linksys or Dlink which will get you 100mbps....or you can use a Linksys PowerAdapter that uses your home's electrical circuits to pass the signal @ 100mbps

Xbox actually just released their Wireless N adapter two weeks ago

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its really $88 on top of a Wireless N router....i never notice any lag from my 54mbps connection, so i dont think id need anything faster than that
Ok I was off by $12. Still ludicrous.

I have never had an issue running my PS3 wirelessly, but I have it cat5'd just because my router is only 18" away, and it will be connected to some NAS in the near future.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My wireless card has a max of 54mbps and my the router, computer and PS3 are only separated by about 15 feet. What would be the cause of the lag?

Wireless card is Netgear WG311 G-wireless and Router is Linksys WRT54G. Am I living in the stone age?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My wireless card has a max of 54mbps and my the router, computer and PS3 are only separated by about 15 feet. What would be the cause of the lag?

Wireless card is Netgear WG311 G-wireless and Router is Linksys WRT54G. Am I living in the stone age?
are you downloading tons of pron on your computer? that could take up a lot of bandwidth.
if they are that close, then run a cat5 cable and be done with lag....unless your overall connection sucks