Quantcast

psyco?!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well... I went riding down at south seatac yesterday, and bumped into this really messed up guy. he was riding in only basketball shorts and shoes(therefor he didn't have a helmet on). I kindly asked him to put on a helmet because the guy who's in charge of all the trails there said if anyone was caught riding without a helmet, that there was a major risk of the flow section being shut down, and if someone got hurt from riding without a helmet, that it would get shut down.
He seems pretty cool about it, so i went back up to the top to take another run. Now, this guy wasn't really doing anything big. He really wasn't riding at all, and he sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about, so that led me to believe that it was a stolen bike(older red stab primo, maybe a 2001, with manitou kingpin).
Anyways, we took another run, and when we got to the bottom, me and my buddy were just resting. We heard the guy talking, I thought he was either talking to himself, or on the phone. Then he comes flying down the trail towards me yelling and swearing at me. "I know you can ****ing hear me bitch!!!" Kinda freaked me out. I just calmly sat there on my bike, and then he gets in my face and threatens to "take my ride" because we were in the "middle of the ****ing woods" and "no one would hear me" that lead me to believe that he was threatening to try to kill me or just beat me up. At this time I was still wearing my full face, so i didn't feel threatened, but the guy eventually told us to get out or he'd "take my ride and leave me here in the middle of the woods"
So because we didn't want to deal with it anymore, we just left.

SO... If anyone see's this guy, or knows who he is, don't bother talking to him, because he's a dick. If the bike he had is your's and it was stolen, I'm really sorry it ended up in his hands.

Jun 18, 2004
I think I came accross that guy street riding near the Alaskan Wy Water front... is he that guy that you see riding all over town w/the dh bike?... ie up Cap Hill, Ballard, Down Town, Lower Woodlawn?... no wait a minute that's that other dude that I met at the DJ's last winter... yeah... the other guy has a purple Stab w/a White bros... yeah this guy has a stab w/a king pin... yeah I've been meeting some 'Heshians on big bikes lately... I've met some whack jobs at SST... I just ignore them if I can...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
your always going to get those kinds of people. especially if your hangin' out in the woods.

I think we as bike riders tend to forget that not everyone that has/rides a bike has the same beliefs as we 'hardcore'* bike riders do. they don't care about the hard work that has gone into getting places to ride, they don't care about their own or even others safety. if a place is on public land, your going to get these jerks from time to time.
I have found it best to just ignore these types....

*hardcore for lack of a better word. maybe 'dedicated' would have been a better word to use....you know what I mean.:)

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
the min he said those things while he was in your face you should have knocked him out cold and took HIS bike leaving HIM in the woods....that would shut his crazy a$$ up.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
HippieKai said:
the min he said those things while he was in your face you should have knocked him out cold and took HIS bike leaving HIM in the woods....that would shut his crazy a$$ up.
That's not very "hippy" like man..... :dancing: ;)

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Thats a guy who should get tied and restrained with duct tape, then tossed into a thicket of stickers and nettles. :nope:

oh, and I.R.B.'s, you could always take moreland with you, who would without question schnit kick the attitude / crack out of him.

Glad your alrighty!

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
SST is a fun place to ride and hang out, next time he pulls crap like that all you have to do is act crazier, start slapping yourself and yelling at the top of your lungs. we don't need that crap there. burns me up!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
haha, i'm glad you guys are behind me in this. next time anyone see's this guy, feel free to punch him in the face for me.
But ya, I am a little nervouse to go down there by myself anymore. I hate riding by myself anyways, but it adds one more notch of danger. luckly I had a buddy of mine down there with me as well, so I wasn't alone. I wish i would have stuck up a little more and took him on. I probably could have, but I didn't really want to deal with it. I know if Joel was down there, he would have gone crazy on the psyco guy. too bad. maybe we'll run into him again next time joel's down there with us.

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
iridebikes said:
haha, i'm glad you guys are behind me in this. next time anyone see's this guy, feel free to punch him in the face for me.
But ya, I am a little nervouse to go down there by myself anymore. I hate riding by myself anyways, but it adds one more notch of danger. luckly I had a buddy of mine down there with me as well, so I wasn't alone. I wish i would have stuck up a little more and took him on. I probably could have, but I didn't really want to deal with it. I know if Joel was down there, he would have gone crazy on the psyco guy. too bad. maybe we'll run into him again next time joel's down there with us.
wow..that's pretty crazy. best you just got the hell out of there. even if you knock that guy out with one shot, it's not like you're going to stick around for some more runs. call the cops if you haven't yet.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Just wear your "I shoot, then ask questions" tee shirt whenever riding at SST. I wonder if you can get a waterbottle mounted pistol mount??? I wonder if that is even legal ! :rolleyes:

Either way, 95% of the crew riding around these parts are going to stand up for any one of us riders in trouble, in particular of the opp. gender sort.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
That's why you have to ride with the "Super Secret Squirrel" style when you're alone...Flow over everything so smooth and fast, no one will even know you're there!! O...no...wait....that not the style....Oh yeah, now I remember, it's the "Be-bigger-than-the-crazy-s.o.b.-so-you-can-kick-his-ass-easily" style!!! That's better.

Whack jobs like that make me sick.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
my reputation preceeds me....

Safety in numbers for sure, besides who wants to loose a line or tranny, take a digger and be stuck there till the next riding group shows up?

Yea, my self control on provocation hasn't been the greatest lately, guess I'm tired of not being taken seriously or disrespected by schmucks,... I get crazy with armor and full-face on, not to mention when my friends are threatened.

I think the last thing the park needs is confrontation though, so whatever is done it should be balanced. Somewhere between his eyes or agree to not act that way.

jOeL

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
You guys keep saying to call the cops... i don't know what I would say if I did. I couldn't describe really what he looked like(bad short term memory). But if I saw him again I'd know exactly who he was. Other than getting all up in my face and threatning to take my bike and leave me in the middle of the woods, I'm not sure if there's anything that the cops would even worry about.

I'd have to say that no one should be down there without at least one other guy. Women especially should have at least one guy with them. That really should go for all places, but more so for when you're alone in the middle of the woods. I would hate for any young ladies to get hurt out there because of some idiot. Heck, I know of a guy who'd be totaly willing to join you on your xc, freeride, or even walks down there. he's a nice guy, who's totally willing to stand up for almost anyone anytime.

cheers

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Reporting this to the cops may or may not do a whole lot as of now, as they will only take a report down for file. BUT, if it happens again, it could show a history of abuse and therefore actually put him in Jail for more than a night.

As far as to which is more violent, ripping him apart or a chunk of lead in the kneecaps, I will leave that to you. I will just do whatever it necessary to get my friends, family and myself home safely, which as in Jerry's case, included simply walking away!

And I.R.B., that guy your talking about, yeah, I think I know him too! :thumb:

Lastly, on the bigger picture, I think we as a riding community want to avoid anything that brings us or our few riding areas into the spotlight. If suddenly there are crimes being commited it could eventually result in the area becoming closed. suck!

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I saw him at Alki on Sunday night. He looks like a VAPWMTYBAHY [very angry person who might take your bike and hurt you].

He must skid a lot because I distinctly remember he didn't have much tread left on his rear wheel.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Girlwhoboards: .... dont worry about explaining yourself, I was deft. not picking on you! I think all of us are on the same page about how people should treat each other.

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
iridebikes said:
bumped into this really messed up guy. he was riding in only basketball shorts and shoes(therefor he didn't have a helmet on). I kindly asked him to put on a helmet
uh? are you serious? no wonder the guy got irked.

even better idea - head down to greenlake and tell all the bmx'ers they need to be wearing helmets.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I hope CW is out there next time this guy decides to get all up in someone's face.
I hope I'm there to watch.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
edinSvenson2 said:
uh? are you serious? no wonder the guy got irked.

even better idea - head down to greenlake and tell all the bmx'ers they need to be wearing helmets.
Well, there's kind of a difference between bmx'ers @ greenlake and the rest of the biking community....while bmx'ers at greenlake have the option of wearing a helmet, most don't (doesn't really bother me, "Congratulations!!! You're the next donor on the Price is Wrong, Bitch!!!!!") ......whatever....they mess themselves up and go on with life....

However, most places that cater to DH and FR, are very sensitive about lawsuits and safety and all of that....so, in order to make sure that we can still have access to all the sacred areas here (there aren't THAT many left), we need to be cogniscent of the potential for losing these areas due to negligence...Whether it be one person or many.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with kindly asking someone to wear a helmet to preserve the riding area we all use...If you're going to get all up in my face about wanting to hurt me and steal my bike just cause I politely asked you to think of others, then screw you! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
girlwhoboards said:
side note...a bmx rider at the tukwila "no bikes allowed" park...."but they were looking at the issue of opposing hours for riding" crashed without a helmet, blood everywhere, and had to be carted off to the hospital...may have put the stops on any hopes of getting bike access there :(.

Great.... :mumble: :mumble: Just great...

Jun 18, 2004
girlwhoboards said:
side note...a bmx rider at the tukwila "no bikes allowed" park...."but they were looking at the issue of opposing hours for riding" crashed without a helmet, blood everywhere, and had to be carted off to the hospital...:(.
Good times for his gene pool...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
haha... pool of blood.... I know that well.... aw dang :-(

He must skid a lot because I distinctly remember he didn't have much tread left on his rear wheel.
I do remember him skidding alot down at sst too. that was another thing that pissed me off about him. But it went along with his redneck theme. but heck... I mean, that's how all the racers used to do it back in 1997... right? haha... just a few years too late buddy...

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
You did the right thing by just taking yourself out of the situation, sure it sucks to let him stomp the grounds you were riding on and call it an early day, but who knows what could happen.

I've been there once by myself and I only stuck around because other people where there, even then I only took maybe 3 runs. I came all the way up from Olympia and forgot my god damn helmet! Can you believe that?

Anyhow, I'm a really casual dude and pretty passive to threats, so he'd have to make some kind of physical aggresive act towards me before I'd get into fight mode, even then I wouldn't fight someone 1 vs 1 out there in the woods. But if someone wants to fight me enough, bring it.. my nose is already as crooked as it'll get from previous fights, I have nothing to lose but my pride :)

I work in a prison and am involved with LE, I know the ****ty characters that places like Tacoma and Sea Tac breed, someone tried to break into my buddies truck the first time we were out at SST. We went up to Everett to play Paintball a few weeks back and stopped at a 7-11, I was pretty paranoid not being familiar with the area...it's weird, but keeps me on top of things.

As far as packing heat, only take that baby out of the holster if you know youre willing to pull the trigger, dont let someone call your bluff and make you the victim of your own protection

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
It's funny that this post would be on top, because this very night I was up there riding all by my lonesome at SST. Couple of dog walkers and a XC couple packing up as I got there at about 7. So I merrily ride down to the park in full-face and leg pads and session the park alone for about 45. Beautiful evening, sunlight shining through the dust I was stirring up, dirt in perfect condition...then, on what was going to be one of my last runs down I was blazing hot from the very top, railed the center berm heading for the middle line, and got the gnarliest case of screaming heebie jeebies that I have ever had in my life. So bad that I bailed off the line and rolled the berm to the left week-kneed, passing my flavorite little jump at the bottom, tried the last little 6"er and almost fell over, then walked quickly up to the road. All of a sudden I was overcome by relentless, intense chills, and the weirdest feeling of being watched I have ever felt in my life. Needless to say, I bailed straight away down the road, feeling like this is the part in the movie where everyone in the theater is screaming "get out, get out!" Now, I'm 6'3" tall, 235 pounds, and I know my way around the practicalities of self defense from a variety of successful hands-on forced learning experiences. I have bushwacked and solo-camped in untracked parts of nearly every pass and lowland forest in this state, and in Oregon as well, and being in the woods alone doesn't bother me at all, but tonight I was as scared as I have ever been. I don't know that this lends anything useful to the discussion, but I will not be riding alone out there again (I don't think that I mentioned this: I primarily ride SST in the early morning, when no one is there or folks are just showing up, so this is no where near the first time I had the park to myself).

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
carbuncle said:
.....All of a sudden I was overcome by relentless, intense chills, and the weirdest feeling of being watched I have ever felt in my life. Needless to say, I bailed straight away down the road, feeling like this is the part in the movie where everyone in the theater is screaming "get out, get out!".....
I've seen some shows on survival tips etc. and one thing they bring up is how often people ignore there senses. We're all wired to a degree to "sense" danger or something that's just not right but to often we ignore these warnings. We're taught to be polite, to not look like a coward, tons of reasons why....but I'm with you that if I get the heebie jeebies like that it's for a reason and I would much rather be safe than sorry.