Quantcast

Pump tracks

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm getting ready to make me a pump track for my chalet.

I want to see some designs to give me ideas....

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
All you need to know.
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/

Damn they look like fun, you should try searching youtube for a look at wier's pump track if you havent already seen it. i think there is a santa cruz add with him riding it in dirt 68?. the damn thing is huge.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I just started my second one. Pretty much a copy of the The Fix, just flipped to fit my back yard and the 180 berm is opened a little from the 38 inch radius to more like 60 . My first track was a 300 foot freehand monster through the woods. This one is a bit more precise with all the bumps and berms layed out with a tape measure and some paint to get them perfect.

Couple pics...

I should have the 180 berm done today and a couple more rollers. Should be done by the middle of the week.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Here is the track we built this spring. The track has multiple ways you can ride it. We did this on purpose to keep things interesting.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Bushwhacker- you building that on your own? Handtools?

Kinda getting a feel of how long it will take. I want to get it built before the snows come so it packs down really hard for next summer...

The problem here is that if I dig down half to make the top half of each roller, it will fill with rain... I'll have to look at drainage... Can't really get dirt trucked to the site to make it all above ground.

Cross- that set-up looks sweet.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Bushwhacker- you building that on your own? Handtools?

Kinda getting a feel of how long it will take. I want to get it built before the snows come so it packs down really hard for next summer...

The problem here is that if I dig down half to make the top half of each roller, it will fill with rain... I'll have to look at drainage... Can't really get dirt trucked to the site to make it all above ground.

Cross- that set-up looks sweet.
By myself with just a shovel/ mattock/tamper.

As far as drainage goes...my last track I dug drains for each dip to some holes filled with gravel. Before the drainage was put in after it rained I would just go out with a grain shovel and broom. Scoop most of the water out then hit it with a push broom. It would carry some of the wet clay from the bottom and coat the rollers giving thme a super hard candy coating. I could have a 300 foot track ready to ride in about 2 hours after it rained.

DH biker...thats stuff is sweet....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Got out there today with the weed-eater/strimmer/whatever you call it.

Cleared out what is going to be this:

Looking at digger prices tomorrow. Then out with the string, tape measure and spraypaint.

Thanks to www.leelikesbikes.com for the image.

Keep the pics coming...

Got out there today with the weed-eater/strimmer/whatever you call it.

Cleared out what is going to be this:

Looking at digger prices tomorrow. Then out with the string, tape measure and spraypaint.

Thanks to www.leelikesbikes.com for the image.

Keep the pics coming...

I have ridden that pump track before it had to be taken down RIP. Was a lot of fun, and a lot of work, only got to ride it for a day, and that cut through the middle was freaking difficult, never got it....but damn it was fun,that bottom straight with those two turns i figured out though...nothing better than hearing ripping tires!!! BRRRAAAAAAAPPPP!

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I don't get how exiting the circle would work. Do you just ride up and over the berm at an angle? Can you launch out of the circle? Go shoot some video of the track.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
A couple spots you can launch out. For the most part you just ride up and over. Then it acts just like a roller.

The whole track is packed solid with tampers. So you can ride anywhere, making going up and over the areas of the track that are back to back no problem.

The simple line to see is what we call the Nascar line. Start in the berm closet to us in the picture, go over the two rollers, then enter the 360(the edge of it here is a roller), ride half the 360 then exit over into the berm near the center of the picture, go over the single roller back into the berm you started in. You have to go in a counterclockwise direction, it is the Nascar line you can't turn right.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think the variations on this pump track are insane. Maybe best varations I've seen...not the fastest one (maybe part rider/part design).

The vid of Weir's track is crazy because the speed they clock on it is just silly!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was watching that the other day and decided to make the center rollers on the longer straights into mini doubles/tables.

Work is going slow as I have to fit it in between real work.

Its all spraypainted out though and ready for the digger...