Quantcast

Pumpkin Ale 2008 Thread

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
OK, I have been "sampling" a few pumpkin ales this season. Thus far, I've tried:

*Smuttynose
*Wolavers Organic
*Saranac
*Southern Tier Pumpking (9%)

Least favorite so far was the Wolavers, but it was in a bottle (not poured) while out walking the babs last night (thank god for my MAXXIS beer cozy!), so I'll have to properly try it again. I am always a fan of the Smuttynose, and the Saranac surprised me - not as bad as I thought. While I couldn't drink a ton of it, the Pumpking was on top with its nice arrangement of spices (and the 9% helps as well!).

Besides Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, what else am I missing? What others have people tried?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Thanks Narlus. I remember that thread. I agree on the Smuttynose - it is more of a 'mellower' pumpkin spice flavor. I did try the Post Road last year and liked it, will have to stack it against the others.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Lakefront Pumpkin Lager is my fav this season. In all fairness it is the only pumpkin beer I have tried this year.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I went in search of Pumkin ale tonight, all I found was Blue Moon, its the first and only Pumpkin brew I have tried, I would have to say I like it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Shipyard Pumpkin Head HANDS DOWN the best!!!!
I didn't love it! :( I got some (on your recommendation) and it's not bad, but I prefer the Southampton Pumpkin Ale right now. Jim - you can get it on tap at Olde Saratoga :cheers:

I actually want to try the Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout and I have the Pumpking on my list to try too...I guess I need to make a trip to the beer store soon!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I came across some Pumpkin ale from Oregon the other day...Don't remember the brewery (it wasn't immediately apparent on the bottle), but it was terrible stuff. Way too hoppy, not enough pumpkinny.

I can't seem to find any other Pumpkin Ales. The micro selection in CA is really quite poor, even compared to Utah.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I sampled a couple more Pumpkin ales this weekend and can safely say that I would NOT recommend Post Road Pumpkin Ale (from Brooklyn Brewery). It was awful...had an almost perfumey or metallic aftertaste, lacked in flavor and seemed too carbonated. I did enjoy the Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery though.