Quantcast

Pure Gold!!!!

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Look at this video from the 1992 DH World Championships in Bromont, Quebec. We see the 2 final riders, Jimmy Deaton & Dave Cullinan. The riding looks great, they are riding on something that would look more like a XC trail as today's standard, but the commentaries are gold!!!
''Agressive style, on the edge, wild trail'' etc, etc.

Made my day!

Cheers!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The water bottle is indeed classic! Three americans in the top five at a world championships, will we ever see that day again..probably not.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Stik getting his hump on at the end. FTW built bikes 1 and 2. No footage of Cully jumping the bridge though, lame. John Howard just not getting it on the commentary is great too. Oh man

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
yeah i just talked to jimmy deaton today at a local race xc race i was watching my brother race. hes a bad ass back in the day. but i was talking to him about if hes going to get back in to racing dh again but yeah he says that he is trying to. but yeah they where hauling ass on those bikes! i have a 1995 trek and you go so slow on it. they where hauling ass on thoughts bikes

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
"notice... notice the black socks and wild goggles" haahaaaahaahaah

They were riding those pc-o-shts through that off camber roller section a lot faster than ever would:shocked:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
GOLD GOLD!! That's the sh**it right there. Back in the days. Dave Cully educating everybody with no gloves. Pure Cully style!!! I don't think he was that sketch, Cully was such a good and smooth rider. Hey, bet if you had that kinda of bike you would be sketched out too bro!!! I mean wow, that made my day. I remember there was a DH world cup in Bromont back in 1999 I think and the course was just so gnarly. Anyways, EPIC! Johnny T was 5th in that race...

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
far technology has taken us. Those bikes were the **** back then and are good for nothing now. Dave was the man he also beat lopes acouple of times on dual salom if I recall.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
the commentary was so sick, we need some old school announcers like that back in the spot.

"and if he crashes at this speead he'll be a permanant part of the landscape!"

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Wow, watching this was a serious wake-up call. "These guys are making serious money now." The announcers said that. There were at least 15 broadcast quality cameras set up on the course, two announcers, and it sounds like it was produced for mass consumption in the US. Any econ/history majors out there? We need a democratic white house for a healthy economy. We need a healthy economy to allow for healthy recreational industry. We need a healthy recreational industry to allow bicycle manufacturers to grow and sprout. We need bicycle manufacturers to have money and success so we in turn are needed as racers and spokespeople.

We really need to vote this year.

Infantry

Chimp
Jan 18, 2005
Cully 92 World champ....Riding for Iron Horse....

Ftw built Deaton's bike...not Cully's... At the time Dan Hanebrink was building the high end (team) frames and I think Cully was actually riding a europeon bike for DH...I think it started with a V....

I have the Tomac and Cully TLD edition stickers around here some where....I'll scan em when I find em....They rule....

Hunter@infantry5.com

P.S. Cully rules....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm Sure Stik can correct us if I'm wrong, but the Verlicchis sucked. Yeti built some "replicas" for Cully. Hannebrink was building the hardtails though.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I was one of the old timers that started racing downhills on XC hardtails so it doesn't seem strange to me, but the young kids today must think that was crazy (or just stupid).

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I was one of the old timers that started racing downhills on XC hardtails so it doesn't seem strange to me, but the young kids today must think that was crazy (or just stupid).
yeah, I remember my first season, fully rigid kona lavadome, spandex was common, full suspension less common.....it's come a looooong way! I love seeing the old school stuff though, it may not look like much on vid, but it was gnarly given the technology, or lack there of, of the time....

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Wow, watching this was a serious wake-up call. "These guys are making serious money now." The announcers said that. There were at least 15 broadcast quality cameras set up on the course, two announcers, and it sounds like it was produced for mass consumption in the US. Any econ/history majors out there? We need a democratic white house for a healthy economy. We need a healthy economy to allow for healthy recreational industry. We need a healthy recreational industry to allow bicycle manufacturers to grow and sprout. We need bicycle manufacturers to have money and success so we in turn are needed as racers and spokespeople.

We really need to vote this year.
Did you also notice that 4 of the top 5 were from the US? We need to take back mountain biking it is ours.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Raced my first 2 downhills back in 2000 on one of these, with a lower seat of course:

Then I took it two a big bear Nat as an expert and completely destroyed it by sunday... I couldn't even race. It was the year they laid those stupid logs down every where to create that "sick" natural log feel.