Quantcast

pushed mx vivid vs. elka stage 5

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
I got a 2010 mongoose boot'r team which has the stock tune A vivid 5.1.
It's a fantastic bike, love it to death, but its got its flaws... I'm not very happy with the way the rear end tracks. I love how the bike jumps and soaks up drops, but I don't like how it handles in the rough, chatter, and fast small hits. It seems really stiff and gives up travel really easily. Also, any amount of LSC added seems to disrupt the way it soaks up hits immensely. Now, I've messed with the shock forever and have yet to truly "dial" it in. I do well on it, and I can work around it but I'm willing to either upgrade the vivid or put on the elka stage 5 shock. Now, I found that the new boot'r comes stock with the elka stage 5, so I figure maybe they found a good shock for it and I'm willing to give it a shot.

What's your opinion on this? Pushed MX tune vivid 5.1 or Elka Stage 5 shock...both custom tuned for bike, but which platform is better?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im an avy man BUT in this case Id opt for the push tune... The Vivid is a great shock as with alot of shocks there are flaws but the vivid is a decent shock and throw a custom tune on it and Id go that route. I had an Elka and wasnt overly impressed, I liked the 5.1 better. The 5.1 custom tuned has alot of potential to dial it in specifically for your bike and style to boot. Its a good design and I really think it gets overlooked in all the other shock hype...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i was going to say...ride through the same section on the saddle and then standing on the pedals to make sure it's not the bike, first.

Otherwise, you've picked the two shocks with the oddest CS in the industry. I have never received an email reply from push despite contacting them I think three separate occasions. I suppose if I really wanted their services I would have called, but I suppose if they really wanted my business they would have emailed. YMMV. I've heard some good things about the MX tune and having a shock custom tuned to you and your bike is probably the best thing you can do.

On the other hand, Elka makes some great shocks and I think they offer some custom tunes as well, but there have been CS issues on their end as well. Might be resolved, I never saw. The ones I've felt have been super plush and controlled, if that's your thing.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I just got my Vivid back from Push. I had them install the Team Issue kit on it. I havent had a chance to ride it yet but my TR450 previously had an Elka on it. I didnt like the Elka through chatter and baby heads, we've got a decent amount of that on the East Coast. Loved the way it handled jumps and drops, but that's not why I bought a DH bike.

My experience with Push's CS has been great thus far, they were very quick to return emails and calls. I can actually say the same about Elka although this was some time back at the beginning of the year before busy season.

Last edited:

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Otherwise, you've picked the two shocks with the oddest CS in the industry. I have never received an email reply from push despite contacting them I think three separate occasions. I suppose if I really wanted their services I would have called, but I suppose if they really wanted my business they would have emailed.
Wow, I didn't think that we were associated with odd customer service? As for the email, it is possible that for some reason our SPAM filter was picking up your address or something. You wouldn't be the first.

Darren

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
i was going to say...ride through the same section on the saddle and then standing on the pedals to make sure it's not the bike, first.

Otherwise, you've picked the two shocks with the oddest CS in the industry. I have never received an email reply from push despite contacting them I think three separate occasions. I suppose if I really wanted their services I would have called, but I suppose if they really wanted my business they would have emailed. YMMV. I've heard some good things about the MX tune and having a shock custom tuned to you and your bike is probably the best thing you can do.QUOTE]

I've had email replies to questions within hours from Push and I've never spent any money with them. Friends who have used them have had great CS from them.

I picked up a used Vivid and will be sending it in to get the team issue tune installed this winter.

Feb 8, 2007
FWIW -

I emailed PUSH several times before having my fork and shock (DHX) fixed by them. They always replied very quickly with extremely thorough answers. The service happened when it was scheduled and my bike was transformed. Especially the rear shock which they gave the MX treatment. Mad props all-around.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
Although I have never ridden a pushed shock I have spent seasons on Romic, 5th element, various Fox shocks including DHXair and lastly a vivid in 2009. I started out the season on a Roco WC on my Corsair Crown and upgraded to an Elka after a couple months.

This shock blew my mind - small chatter, sharp hits, breaking bumps see ya neva. You run the rebound a little faster as it is very progressive and works incredibly well. The shock ramps up very well, is incredibly smooth and pretty much does exactly what I want it too all the time - no joke.

Furthermore when you turn the rebound nobs or hi/low speed compression it actually has a noticeable effect - even with one or two clicks. The shock is also light and has a light spring, cant remember the exact weights but when I threw my 10.5 inch elka on my digi pretty sure it weighed less than my 9.5 inch vivid.

My customer service experience with them was great. I did check in with them a couple times as I needed it delivered very fast and they were always easy to get a hold of when calling. The head guy from their DH department (I think Patrick) was also very helpful in giving me pointers and talked to me for a long time on exactly how to set it up. (This may have been because he also rode a Crown). Anyways, very nice guy.

I do not think I will ever ride another shock on my DH race bike.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I was in the same predicament, but ended up going w/the PUSH(waiting for a spring so I can test it), mainly because I'm most familiar with RS products and the cheaper price of the tune vs a elka.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Wow, I didn't think that we were associated with odd customer service? As for the email, it is possible that for some reason our SPAM filter was picking up your address or something. You wouldn't be the first.

Darren
what excuse is this? machines make failures too, so get a human to review the stuff in the spam section. you don't need to do this daily, but on a weekly base.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

Darren
Ive emailed many times over the summer and never gotten replies either. When I called, they told me my emails had gone into the SPAM filter. I call all the time now. No more emails for me. :) Calls are easier anyway.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
what excuse is this? machines make failures too, so get a human to review the stuff in the spam section. you don't need to do this daily, but on a weekly base.
I didn't mean for it to come off as an excuse, just offering a potential option to why multiple emails didn't get through. We did have a problem with our tech email address and it was eliminated from our website. Since making the adjustment and just having the "info" and "sales" email addresses through the site things have been smooth. I also don't mean to make it sound that we're perfect on email replies because we certainly are not.

Darren

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FWIW, I probably used the contact form on the website.

If other people have had success, then I buy it. I don't know if that would change my opinion, but again, if I really wanted the shock services I would call. I ended up finding settings that satisfied my needs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have Pushed every Fox shock I have ever had and it has ALWAYS made a huge difference. I had my Roco Pushed also and it completely changed it. I bet Ive had almost 10 shocks Pushed over the years.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I got a 2010 mongoose boot'r team which has the stock tune A vivid 5.1.
It's a fantastic bike, love it to death, but its got its flaws... I'm not very happy with the way the rear end tracks. I love how the bike jumps and soaks up drops, but I don't like how it handles in the rough, chatter, and fast small hits. It seems really stiff and gives up travel really easily. Also, any amount of LSC added seems to disrupt the way it soaks up hits immensely. Now, I've messed with the shock forever and have yet to truly "dial" it in. I do well on it, and I can work around it but I'm willing to either upgrade the vivid or put on the elka stage 5 shock. Now, I found that the new boot'r comes stock with the elka stage 5, so I figure maybe they found a good shock for it and I'm willing to give it a shot.

What's your opinion on this? Pushed MX tune vivid 5.1 or Elka Stage 5 shock...both custom tuned for bike, but which platform is better?
You may consider using an Obtainium Performance Ti spring with bearing seats. It makes a significant difference on the braking bumps and the small chattery stuff like hard pack with lots of imbebed rocks.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have to say the Pushed DHX on my Demo made a huge difference and I have always received quick replies and great CS from them.