Quantcast

QANTAS got their first A380 today

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
In typical QANTAS it was late. Also in typical QANTAS style they're going to charge more to travel on the A380 than their other aircraft. QANTAS=Thieving bastards

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
which airline has the private bedrooms on the A380, but doesnt want you to have sex in them?
and that prince in the middle east is one lucky fvk to have a private A380...when he gets it

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
which airline has the private bedrooms on the A380, but doesnt want you to have sex in them?
and that prince in the middle east is one lucky fvk to have a private A380...when he gets it
bah. boeing business jet ftw.

also air canada > alaska air

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
how long does it take to deplane one of those? i'd think with that size if you have a connecting flight in the same hour, you're not going to make it unless it's at the next gate (but clearly this beast makes access at adjoining gates sketchy at best).

also, what's the wake turbulence delay for following aircraft? 3 min?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
also air canada > alaska air
You must be insane. I fly Alaska with a layover 3 or 4 times a year instead of taking Air Canada direct.

Air Canada policy: A 747 to Toronto, a 747 to Vancouver, and a 737 to Seattle from LAX all leaving at about 8am...let's put three people at the check in counter.

No planes leaving in the next six hours? Yep, three people at the check in counter at all times.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
how long does it take to deplane one of those? i'd think with that size if you have a connecting flight in the same hour, you're not going to make it unless it's at the next gate (but clearly this beast makes access at adjoining gates sketchy at best).

also, what's the wake turbulence delay for following aircraft? 3 min?
ANA has 747's in domestic configurations here that carry more people than the the Singapore, Emirates or Qantas A380s do. And they turn them around in 40 minutes.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
well what the fvck do i know? youre right, i always thought the 707 was a older iteration of the 747-400
Previous version of the 747 were 100 series, 200 series and 300 series. There was also a 747 SP, runty looking thing, no mistaking it for anything but a 747 but kind of squashed in.

Travolta's plane;

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
You must be insane. I fly Alaska with a layover 3 or 4 times a year instead of taking Air Canada direct.

Air Canada policy: A 747 to Toronto, a 747 to Vancouver, and a 737 to Seattle from LAX all leaving at about 8am...let's put three people at the check in counter.

No planes leaving in the next six hours? Yep, three people at the check in counter at all times.
the amount of luggage that alaska air has lost is retarded. On my trip to fairbanks with some classmates they lost 9 of the 12 checked bags in my group. Also giving me 50 bucks for a lost bag filled with engineering text books and clothes is lame!!!!!!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Previous version of the 747 were 100 series, 200 series and 300 series. There was also a 747 SP, runty looking thing, no mistaking it for anything but a 747 but kind of squashed in.

Travolta's plane;
the original concept of the 747 looks almost identical to the a380. Boeing scrapped the idea though, they claimed it was to hard to control at the time.

Travolta owns a 707 but he has his license to fly a 747-400

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
the amount of luggage that alaska air has lost is retarded. On my trip to fairbanks with some classmates they lost 9 of the 12 checked bags in my group. Also giving me 50 bucks for a lost bag filled with engineering text books and clothes is lame!!!!!!
I don't actually fly to Alaska with them. If I was you, I'd blame the retards on the Fairbanks end. I've seen who they elected for Governor, and I'm not very impressed :D

I've had 30+ flights with Alaska, 5 or 6 of those with connections that were tighter than 40 minutes, and my luggage has always been there.

Air Canada, on the other hand, can burn in hell.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Previous version of the 747 were 100 series, 200 series and 300 series. There was also a 747 SP, runty looking thing, no mistaking it for anything but a 747 but kind of squashed
yeah i just always thought the 707's were just earlier 747's until i just looked.
i suck at life

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
yeah i just always thought the 707's were just earlier 747's until i just looked.
i suck at life
I used to be a bit of a white-knuckle flyer and one of the ways I overcame that was to try and find out as much about planes and their capabilities as possible. I still hate flying but now it's not because I think the bastard is gonna crash.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah that's Emirates alirlines.... they fly the 380's on the London to Auckland route....... Suposed to have excelent service from check in and cabin staff.
Wanted to fly them to europe but could not swing the extra cash so ended up with singapore airlines again.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I may actually have to delete this thread.

(And Air Canada has not operated a 747 in quite some time. And when they did , it wasn;t to hop from YYZ to YVR..)

edit:
"This bike is far superior to your bike due to the knobbiness of the tires"
"I disagree. These tires are rubber, and the wheels employ spokes"
"Really? Are the spokes much longer in proportion to their diameter?"
"Yes. And they are metal"
"Hmmm....interesting. However this bike steers by articulating the front wheel back and forth."
"Say, that IS sweet!"

Now you know how I feel....

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah that's Emirates alirlines.... they fly the 380's on the London to Auckland route....... Suposed to have excelent service from check in and cabin staff.
Wanted to fly them to europe but could not swing the extra cash so ended up with singapore airlines again.
Actually it's Singapore that has the suites. My old man flew Emirates from Perth to Sao Paolo. His verdict? OK, nothing special. If you went Singapore you went the best imo.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
i May Actually Have To Delete This Thread.

(and Air Canada Has Not Operated A 747 In Quite Some Time. And When They Did , It Wasn;t To Hop From Yyz To Yvr..)

Edit:
"this Bike Is Far Superior To Your Bike Due To The Knobbiness Of The Tires"
"i Disagree. These Tires Are Rubber, And The Wheels Employ Spokes"
"really? Are The Spokes Much Longer In Proportion To Their Diameter?"
"yes. And They Are Metal"
"hmmm....interesting. However This Bike Steers By Articulating The Front Wheel Back And Forth."
"say, That Is Sweet!"

Now You Know How I Feel....
msr34

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
i know right? i love our government..spending so much to revise a old platform.
brilliant!
Well actually that WAS the right thing to do in theory.

Both Bell and the military screwed the pooch on this. However while it was SUPPOSED to be a mod'ed B407.....(like the OH58 is a mod'ed B206), The ARH actually is a totally different aircraft. Different rotor, engine, avionics, and yup....the airframe is different. So much so that they were TRYING to simultaneously develop a civil version of the ARH....the B417, which would have replaced the B407.

Well long story, somewhat less long, the B417 was a huge failure and it got ****canned in early 2007 if I recall correctly. It was heavier, slower and more expensive than the 407, not a recipe for success....There's way more to the story, but it's too long to type.

But sufficed to say, if they HAD just modified the B407, they'd long be in service by now. Meanwhile Boeing is waiting in the wings trying to get them to drop the ARH and go with their....Canary or whatever they call it. The modified MD500...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well actually that WAS the right thing to do in theory.

Both Bell and the military screwed the pooch on this. However while it was SUPPOSED to be a mod'ed B407.....(like the OH58 is a mod'ed B206), The ARH actually is a totally different aircraft. Different rotor, engine, avionics, and yup....the airframe is different. So much so that they were TRYING to simultaneously develop a civil version of the ARH....the B417, which would have replaced the B407.

Well long story, somewhat less long, the B417 was a huge failure and it got ****canned in early 2007 if I recall correctly. It was heavier, slower and more expensive than the 407, not a recipe for success....There's way more to the story, but it's too long to type.

But sufficed to say, if they HAD just modified the B407, they'd long be in service by now. Meanwhile Boeing is waiting in the wings trying to get them to drop the ARH and go with their....Canary or whatever they call it. The modified MD500...
wow, that was more informative than that article i linked...
thanks