Quantcast

Qr to 20mm

Lamb Chops

Chimp
Apr 5, 2005
i was just wondering if it is possible to convert my Quick release front hub to a 20 mm, I am looking at new forks and all the good ones are 20mm. or if not is it possible for me to get my wheel striped down and re built with the same rim but new hubs, and if it is economical. If there is another thread on this please redirect me to it, I have already used the search function to no avail.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lamb Chops said:
i was just wondering if it is possible to convert my Quick release front hub to a 20 mm, I am looking at new forks and all the good ones are 20mm. or if not is it possible for me to get my wheel striped down and re built with the same rim but new hubs, and if it is economical. If there is another thread on this please redirect me to it, I have already used the search function to no avail.
1. What kind of hub? Some hubs do convert from QR to 20mm, but Shimano/Taiwanese/No Name hubs do not. Woodman is the most notable which does convert from 20mm to QR, but is a rare hub, never to be found on an OEM bicycle.

2. There is a very slight possibility you can find a 20mm hub which matches your current hub. You could then use the same spokes and rim. However, you best be nice when asking for a measurement of your current hub. Believe it or not, most shops are not very nice with uncommon requests.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
from the looks of it, i don't think you'd want to be building your own wheel. Thus, it's far more economical to just buy a used front wheel off of someone. If you build your own wheel, it's going to cost a minimum of $60 for a cheap hub, $30 labor, $.20/spoke + nipple, and other trivial costs. you can have a decent used front wheel for around $80 on the classifieds. also, are you sure you need the 20 mm? the majority of forks out there still use a quick release; unless you plan on going with 6+ inches of travel, its more or less optional.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You can get any 20mm hub and I think it is atomlab that makes two things with o-rings that you put in each side of the 20mm hub so you can us qr.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What kind of riding are you doing? For cross country and trail riding you can likely find a very good fork that has QR dropouts. Look at a Fox or Marzocchi. If you must have the 20mm (for whatever reason. Don't let anyone tell you that bling bling or pimptasticness isn't a reson to buy something!) I would say follow the suggestion to buy a used one. You can likely pick up a decent used front wheel for 50 - 100 dollars. Sell your QR front to offset the cost.

The Azonic Outlaw wheelset is indeed an inexpensive bad ass wheelset. Very versatile too.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Check out the flange diameters between your QR hub and a possible new 20mm. I was able to swap hubs using the same spoke lengths and rim with no problem.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if your interested I have a Marzocchi 20 mm hub laced to a sun Mammoth wheel I could sell to you for pretty cheap. PM if your interested

endomaster

Chimp
Dec 13, 2004
I just went through this and went with a Hope bulb which is convertible between QR and 20mm in less than 2 minutes once you get the hang of it.

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
Dia-tech also makes a very solid front hub that easily converts from QR to 20mm.

I got mine nice and cheap from Unreal Cycles, along with a pimptastic build at a decent price.

-eric