Quantcast

Quality Family Ride in Richmond Area

newman12345

Chimp
Apr 23, 2008
Does anyone know of a nice family ride in the Richmond area, my girlfriend is riding and her son does as well, he is 8 only been on a bike for 7 months or so, but he is bored with the normal paved trails, but gets discouraged easily, so I want to find an easy path that is dirt, maybe going in the woods so he sees he can ride on surfaces other then pavement and he gets more confidence. I appreciate all your help.

newman12345

Chimp
Apr 23, 2008
anything near Charlottesville? If pocahontas is good it is closer or the same distance to go to Charlottesville, I live near Short Pump Town Center. Thanks for the tip, I will look into Pocohontas.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If you live near short pump try Deep run park out. Paved path all the way around with a lot of dirt trails off of the main trail you can hit. Very family friendly

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'd say if you have the time this weekend, check out the Pocohantas state park festival, but if you are looking for something a little closer to home, and not paved, check out Pony Pasture. Probably less than 15 minutes from shortpump, very flat, gravel and dirt trails through the woods, great place for a family ride. Its right next to the river, and you can even go for a nice family swim.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
I'd go with DENJEN's suggestion. Deep Run Park would be great. Stay out of Bryan Park. Not a place for young children. Too much drug and booty activity going on in that park. My old room mate is a cop now:disgust1:, lives in the neighborhood around the park and is always getting calls for something there.

newman12345

Chimp
Apr 23, 2008
Tahnks for the tip, Being from Boston myself I am new to things in Richmond. We have gone to Deep Run many times, he is a typical little guy gets bored, and likes to see new places, he is lacking on leg strength and cannot climb hills very well. I appreciate all the input. I heard there is a nice trail from Richmond to Williamsburg, and one near Bon Air that runs along the James River anyone been on either one?

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
Go to Poor Farm Park, just outside of Ashland, if he digs Deep Run. There's lots of singletrack, it's a pretty setting, definitely not too bad for family.