Quantcast

Quality, inexpensive Full-Face?

OnePointFive

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
I am in the market for a moderate priced full face. Under 100 bucks. I understand I will not be able to fund the best of the best, but there has to be a helmet that gets the job done, moderate breathability and isn't crazy heavy on the market that. Any suggestions?
Size is roughly a medium.

Thanks.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I would recommend a Giro Remedy or Azonic Fury, both are great helmets and cost under $100. I would recommend you stay away from the 661 comp, although it can be found cheap it is essentially the same freaking helmet as a $40 walmart special "x-games" youth helmet. (i've had both and they fit and look just the same)

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
The Giro Remedy (non-carbon model) can be had online for under $100. Your LBS may have them at the retail price which is usually over $100 for the current model year, but they may be able to price match.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I also reccomend the Giro Remedy. It's really comfortable, light, and has the downhill certification, so it will protect you 'downhilling' much better than a bmx or MX helmet. I got a last years one (new) for $50 on ebay.

OnePointFive

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Awesome, thanks.
I have a few options to go w/. Remedy being the highest one. The 661 Comp is not on my list.
Thanks.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Here's another vote for the Remedy. Most places are wiping out their 07 stock for cheap.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a remedy and am happy with it. Then I broke my visor to find out that it's discontinued in that color. So instead of ordering one to custom paint, I went for the cardboard and staples option.

keep an eye out for an upcoming tutorial

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a remedy and am happy with it. Then I broke my visor to find out that it's discontinued in that color. So instead of ordering one to custom paint, I went for the cardboard and staples option.
The important question is: did that beer come with it?

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
I got the Azonic Fury, pretty comfortable and breathes decently. Chose it over the Giro Remedy for the graphics on it. Ill probably scratch it all off though...I hit my head too much.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
The important question is: did that beer come with it?
yeah I was opening #4 when I finished it, and holding #5 when the picture was taken. It turned out suprisingly well, and has already survived two solid days of riding. One day was borderline rain, so there was a lot of moisture in the air, but I'm not too worried about it's lifespan.

What a shame for me to make another :cheers:

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
looks like some of the mail order places are starting to sell last year's Fox Rampage for under 100 bones. pretty sure that helmet meets the new DH specific standard. i had real good luck w/ me bell bellistic till i replaced it last year.

i think this year i'm just going to use an old hockey helmet. just need to find some goggles that will fit it. i heard that's what all dudes in canadia are doing these days.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
i have an Azonic fury helmet and I'd say stay away.. doesn't breathe well at all.... it's got tons of vents but they're all covered up on the inside by a fairly thick material and foam.. bottom line, there isn't much air getting through.. i took a few hours and trimmed out all the materail on the backsides of the vents.. it's much better now.

a couple guys i ride with have Remedy's.. they're really nice... construction looks alot better than the fury.. I'd recommend finding an LBS that has them instock and try on a few different brands.