Quantcast

Queenstown Bike Park

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
I am planning a trip to Queenstown Bike Park over winter vacation. What's the best/cheapest way to get my bike out there (from the United States)? Has anyone here been there?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Not sure but I rented a Glory from Vertigo Bikes in Queenstown last year for pretty cheap. Definitely cheaper and the bike was in good shape. Just sayin.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
look at flying airnz as they still seem to have a good deal on flying with bikes.

last time i went to canada it didn't cost me a cent to get my my there and back. as they let you have 2 bags at 23kg, and you can count your bike as one of those bags with out any extra cost.
just make sure you book your ticket to queenstown with the rest of you tickets so that you can carry the internation baggage allowance over on to the domestic flight.

another hot tip would be to bring a bike that can be pedaled, there is some turly great riding in the cental otage/lakes area out side of the park that a DH bike is just over kill on. a slack 6" bike seems to be the go to weapon around these parts at the moe.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
look at flying airnz as they still seem to have a good deal on flying with bikes.

last time i went to canada it didn't cost me a cent to get my my there and back. as they let you have 2 bags at 23kg, and you can count your bike as one of those bags with out any extra cost.
just make sure you book your ticket to queenstown with the rest of you tickets so that you can carry the internation baggage allowance over on to the domestic flight.

another hot tip would be to bring a bike that can be pedaled, there is some turly great riding in the cental otage/lakes area out side of the park that a DH bike is just over kill on. a slack 6" bike seems to be the go to weapon around these parts at the moe.
The AirNZ baggage policy changed mid last year, only one peice at 23kg is given. But they count bikes as sports gear so the extra piece is discounted 50% , took my bike to Whistler this year and it was NZ$37.50 each way. Much cheaper than Qantas and much better service. As Herbman said definitely book all the way through to Queenstown.

Last edited:

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
The AirNZ baggage policy changed mid last year, only one peice at 23kg is given. But they count bikes as sports gear so the extra piece is discounted 50% , took my bike to Whistler this year and it was NZ$37.50 each way. Much cheaper than Qantas and much better service. As Herbman said definitely book all the way through to Queenstown.
thats right forgot about that as they tried to make me pay on the way home as i had changed my ticket, but as i have found when traveling with a bike aways turn up earily and don't be a dick to the checkin staff and they tend to let you away with a bit more.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
going to third a pedally bike, have a load of friends in QT and they all swear by shorter travel bikes if you want to really experience all the riding in the area.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Any suggestions for getting a bike here without an airline? I'm living in Queenstown for at least the whole summer, and my bikes are still in California. Shipping by air seems to be very expensive, 500+ minimum. I've looked into sea freight a little bit, it sounds like a good option. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jun 28, 2009
I am planning a trip to Queenstown Bike Park over winter vacation. What's the best/cheapest way to get my bike out there (from the United States)? Has anyone here been there?
Hey Man! I'm flying down to Queenstown this coming Tuesday. If you can hop a flight on Quantas, you are allowed 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs each. The cool part is you are allowed to substitute one of your checked bags for a bike box for no extra charge. I'm taking my downhill bike with me, and also considering taking my dirt jumper as well. You are also allowed to purchase another checked bag/bike box for another $175. Take a look for yourself...

Information for passengers travelling on Qantas with sporting equipment

I'm going to be in Queenstown for pretty much the whole winter, maybe we can link up and take a few runs at the Gondola when you get down there.

-Sam