Quantcast

Question about 2010 Boxxer

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
I bought a 2010 boxxer last summer and rebuilt it right away because it didn't have any oil in it. The new bikes my brother and me are getting come with a boxxer stock, do I still need to take these apart and check if they have oil or did rockshox fix that problem?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I bought a 2010 boxxer last summer and rebuilt it right away because it didn't have any oil in it. The new bikes my brother and me are getting come with a boxxer stock, do I still need to take these apart and check if they have oil or did rockshox fix that problem?
Id check it for safety anywase and slap some slick honey in the seals for good measure while your at it.
Im sure it has been covered but I do it right off the bat to any new fork and it gives me a chance to look inside.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Yeah agree with BC

I have one of the newer Boxxer teams with the motion control sticker pulled it down to check and all was sweet, its been running awesome too no issues, but will do a oil change soon from std to some Motorex and apply some slick honey to the seals :thumb:

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
How does rockshox get away with such shoddy QC especially when buying such a expensive fork. If it was manitou, everyone would be up in arms against them.
People did.

Don't panic the first gen 1 Boxxers mainly teams were probably rushed to market, every manufacturer has been guilty of it and are, the V2 the motion sticker models of the same fork have the newer damping circuits and come with the right levels of fluid.

From what Ive read from others mine did so if ya an early adopter there's always pain the price ya often pay for having the latest before the rest of us.

No excuses for lack of oil volumes but it happens, std oil to me is for break period only, its always better to service and replace with a high quality moto fork fluid/oil after wards once seals and the rest has been through it's break in, then ya can fine tune ya dampening oil /fluid wt for your style and spring rate and have a longer higher functioning fork less cost in frequent servicing, still needs frequent but not near as much.

You'll find any suspension tuner will do this as well as they're own mod, been std on my motos for years I don't know why MTB people see this as some major issue, its such an important component checking the internals is just like going over all ya shock bolts crown bolts chain length etc before ya get her dirty from new. Std prep really! :thumb:

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Dear Mr. GoodbyePorkPie,

This is ridemonkey. Please take your logical arguement elsewhere. If you aren't here to flip out about something, wheres the fun in that? Also, your headangle is over 64 degrees. Please adjust it so that its at 64 or less, otherwise we will ship you to the camps. :D

I kid, I kid.

Sorry. Bored. Its sunday night. :D

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Dear Mr. GoodbyePorkPie,

This is ridemonkey. Please take your logical arguement elsewhere. If you aren't here to flip out about something, wheres the fun in that? Also, your headangle is over 64 degrees. Please adjust it so that its at 64 or less, otherwise we will ship you to the camps. :D

I kid, I kid.

Sorry. Bored. Its sunday night. :D
:D:D

Love it

actually I did raise my fork tubes back up through my crowns to about 5mm from the top caps so I'm back at 64 deg:rofl:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Has anyone else noticed that the recommended air setting for the WC is different in the tuning guide and on the fork?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Has anyone else noticed that the recommended air setting for the WC is different in the tuning guide and on the fork?
Yeah I tried the setting on the fork and almost wore the dirty thirtys as my grill!
Im at 70 psi and I weigh 235lbs if its more drops then 85/90 max any more and it chatters and isnt plush!

The tuning thread with the PDF file is the best base line starter Ive found, someone on here recomended it... It gives you real PSI and clicks to get the ball rolling for terrain types of which I actually found usefull. Jerry at Hippie tech was pretty impressed with it as well for a starting point setting then dial from there!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
The tuning thread with the PDF file is the best base line starter Ive found, someone on here recomended it... It gives you real PSI and clicks to get the ball rolling for terrain types of which I actually found usefull. Jerry at Hippie tech was pretty impressed with it as well for a starting point setting then dial from there!
Where can I find said PDF? Sorry if its obvious, I looked quickly with no luck.

edit: I'm guessing this is the PDF you are talking about: [URL="http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/Gen 0000000000583 BoXXer Team Tuning Guide - ENGLISH Rev B.pdf"]http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/Gen[/url] 0000000000583 BoXXer Team Tuning Guide - ENGLISH Rev B.pdf[/URL]

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Same for the Team actually what ever the rec spring rate is [lbs] red Medium, drop down one, normal I would be a stiff spring I run the std, Ive never done this before on any coil fork lol. But its awesome once ya get that right:thumb: