Quantcast

Question about Judges

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I have started look at what I will be buying for the 2008 season. One of the bikes I have been looking at is the Judge. I currently ride an 05 gemini DH and like it. But I was looking at some pictures of Hannah's judge and noticed that he does not have the brake jack bar on it. Why is this? it is mearly to save weight or is there an important reason for its lacking?

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I don't have one on mine either. It's about 2lb.s heavier first off and I prefer the feedback from the bike. There may be a lot of hype about brake jack and all that jazz but i like the way my single pivot feels without a floater. I really liked my Gemini DH, the geo was my favorite and I was reluctant to ride the judge. I thought it was too overkill. At first I felt the bike was too long and sluggish but upon riding it in N* I found it to be rather flickable and stable, really stable in the rough. Very fast bike, the faster the better. I built mine up at 40 lbs. It's in the classifieds if you want to peep it.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Thanks for the offer but im probably going new, good chance im getting a sponsorship deal through one of my local shops for Cdale. Nice build on your though, awesome bike. I've got one more race this year I think im going to take the bar off and see the difference.

Mar 11, 2007
Nea Makri Greece
The only thing that you should be aware of is that with the brake jack you'll need to run a 12 X 135mm rear hub and without it a 12 X 150 mm. both with a 12 x 165 mm axle.
My current sweethart:

The changes from these pictures to the current setup of the bike is that the front deraileur has been remooved and I'm running a single 42 tooth Race Face Diabolus cranks, the e-13 DRS has been replaced with an SRS and finally the "slim" tyres have been replaced by high-rollers.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I think what you guys mean is a "Floating Brake" when you say a "Brake Jack".... "Brake Jack" is the term applied to what happens to the suspension under braking.

"Floaters" as they're known really do eliminate braking forces on the rear suspension of a single-pivot bike. If your riding style is such that you are used to brake jack and have been able to compensate for it with your bike handling techniques, then no biggie.

However, by using a floating rear brake, you can free up the suspension and allow it to remain active during hard braking. Under hard braking the rear end wants to lock up, (stops absorbing the bumps and remains rigid) which is what happens without a floater.

If you are concerned about saving weight, Therapy Components have been making after-market floaters for DH bikes for years - they even do some suspension work for Indy cars too!

Check it out:
http://www.therapycomponents.com/floater.htm