Quantcast

question about Lower fork race for a E-13 1.5 low stack headset

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
so the question is were I can find a lower headset race (bottom) for a 1 1/8" steertube that is compatible with the E-13 low stack 1 1/5" headset they sell...
aparantlly the headset parts are made by FSA, so maybe i can go that way and sincerlly after the many attempts i made to comunicate with Dave i don't even want to resourse to contact E-13 anymore since is somehow futile...

so any idea were to get just the lower race (part that goes on the fork)...?
my idea is to install just the lower cups of the E-13 sistem on my two nicolai's ussing just one E-13 (ussing the upper cup as a lower one since they are exactlly the same) i have and then use the FSA stock headset on the top since i just want to steep-in the head angle of the bike by installing the slimest headset possible.

sorry if I'm a little Incoheret today (even more than ussual) but i have a big headacke

I hope my question is clear and somebody can help me out with a lead a link or even better the part in question..

thanks Ricardo

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
When I installed my e-13 cups and headset, I got my parts (bearings, compression ring, and crown race) direct from Cane Creek. Check their website store for an IS-2 or IS-6 race.

toby

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The headset is not made by e-13. They make the black aluminum reducer cups only. The other parts (bearings and races etc) could be made by several manufacturers as it is just an 'IS' headset that is pressed into the e-13 cups. Either FSA or Cane Creek would be good places to try or even the local rodie bike store as this is a standard part for many road bikes.

edit: I just saw that you are in Berzerkley. There has to be a shop in the SF area that has an 'IS' crown race laying around ...just call around to a good/large roadie shop.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
in the trees said:
When I installed my e-13 cups and headset, I got my parts (bearings, compression ring, and crown race) direct from Cane Creek. Check their website store for an IS-2 or IS-6 race.

toby
ARe Cane creek and FSA pat of the same company...!?!?!

my upper headset cap does have the IS-2 logo on it but also have the FSA letter all over...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
davep said:
The headset is not made by e-13. They make the black aluminum reducer cups only. The other parts (bearings and races etc) could be made by several manufacturers as it is just an 'IS' headset that is pressed into the e-13 cups. Either FSA or Cane Creek would be good places to try or even the local rodie bike store as this is a standard part for many road bikes.
Yeap i was kind of sure about that part....

thanks for the suggestion...

also on a similar note, does anybody know how far in diameter are the chris king bearings from the FSA ones to modified this E-13 i have to run King bearing and even more Important can you actually get replacement Chris King bearing somewere...

thanks for all the help i really love this site when people actually colaborate..

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
patineto said:
ARe Cane creek and FSA pat of the same company...!?!?!

my upper headset cap does have the IS-2 logo on it but also have the FSA letter all over...
Not the same company, but I think that the Cane Creek race will work with the FSA bearings. (Same bearing contact angles).

toby

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
actually I found the race I need as part of one of those Cheap cane creek ST2 headsets...

sadlly now I have my mind set in retrofiting KIng bearings on the E-13 1.5 adapters since King stuff never ever fail me before and I have a lot of trouble with my first E-13 1.5 headset....

now the question is ...

how do you get the king bearing out of a headset with out damaging them...!?
or even better were I can buy some brand new ones..!?!?
so i don't need to canivalize one of the kings i have already..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
in the trees said:
Not the same company, but I think that the Cane Creek race will work with the FSA bearings. (Same bearing contact angles).

toby
thanks Toby,, I just found a Canecreek race that is exactlly the same as the FSA one (Mitutoyo caliper never lye)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I know that the inside bevel angle is different on the King versus the FSA/Cane Creek and i would assume that the outer bevel is different as well (need to check OD as well). The FSA/CC use a 36* 36* angular contact bearing available in several different grades including ceramic or stainless manufactured by TH industries. I have had good luck with these (TH) bearings myself up here in seattle( i have also heard some negative feedback on the Cane Creek bearings but have no personal experience nor do I know their manufacturer). For more info on FSA check out
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/headsetbook.pdf
If you could find some drawings of king bearings.....you would have your answer.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
davep said:
I know that the inside bevel angle is different on the King versus the FSA/Cane Creek and i would assume that the outer bevel is different as well (need to check OD as well). The FSA/CC use a 36* 36* angular contact bearing available in several different grades including ceramic or stainless manufactured by TH industries. I have had good luck with these (TH) bearings myself up here in seattle( i have also heard some negative feedback on the Cane Creek bearings but have no personal experience nor do I know their manufacturer). For more info on FSA check out
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/headsetbook.pdf
If you could find some drawings of king bearings.....you would have your answer.
Thanks Dave for such a complete and accurate response...

when I was taking about installing King Bearing, oviuslly i have in my mind the cups will need to be remachine (lattle) to fit the king bearings (i measure them with my trusty mitutoyo caliper and looks like is possible)

so far i have only one experience with the O.E.M. bearing in the e-13 and was very crapy in fact felt wrost than a cheap worn out headsets with open ball bearing from 20 years ago since i only have two possible adjusmets
tight but binding big time or free to move but much to losse , sincerlly i don't think was a installation problem since i work on very serius bike shops for many years and sadlly I'm better with Tools than people...

anyway thanks for the link and all the information that you provide me..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The e13 reducer cup bearing bore tolerance is held to a very VERY tight tolerance. If you re-machine, it will bea challenge to hit that tight of a tolerance without a swiss machine. I wouldn't try it. There are plenty of really good headset bearings that should give you years of trouble free and smooth running service.

Dave

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
I ran the CC stainless bearings...No probmlems at all....I actually have a set left over with a race if you are interested...sorry for the spam