Quantcast

Question about Mavic EX721's, Maxxis TS Rim Strips, and UST Tires...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Anyone have any experience with this setup?

How well does it work? Does the bead seat properly? Does the tire burp any pressure during heavy DH abuse? Which UST DH tires work best with this rim when running it w/ Maxxis rim strips - Maxxis UST, or Michelins?

...was thinking of running this setup for next year.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I don't think tubless tires would work on a non tubless tire. Do a search here for ghetto tubless. I'm pretty sure that would be good on that wheel.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
mtnbrider said:
I don't think tubless tires would work on a non tubless tire.
:rolleyes:

Im interested in the answer too, as my new bike came with these rims. I've got some UST michelins that I'd like to throw on.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...I have used the search function, but found nothing with regards to my question.

As far as running UST tires with standard rims, it will work -

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128979&highlight=%22maxxis+rim+strips%22

DHCorky:
I second the Maxxis strips . When using these strips with michelins and Ryhno lites I did not even need sealant. Now after a few flat spots in the rim I am running stan's. I have had a couple punctures in my rear tire but just used normal tube patches to fix them. I have been running the same tires since June now. I have landed sideways and all but rolled my tire off the rim and they still held air. I am sold on this setup.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I have run Maxxis Minion 2.5's on D521's (same as ex721) with Maxxis DH1 rim strips and stans sealant with no problems at all. No pressure loss, no burping, works great flawlessly once you get it set up. I was able to do it with a floor pump.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
a tip that might help is: run a few layers or thick rim strips under the maxxis rim stip to even out the centre of the rim with the sides. this should make the tire seal with the maxxis rims strip well and make inflation a peice of cake. a plus to this is IF the tire burps air, you will have a better chance of inflating the tire agian with a floor pump/mini pump. only down side of this is that mounting the tire is like mounting a high roller on a ryhno lite and of course a lil more weight if you are a weight weenie. :blah:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Discostu said:
I have run Maxxis Minion 2.5's on D521's (same as ex721) with Maxxis DH1 rim strips and stans sealant with no problems at all. No pressure loss, no burping, works great flawlessly once you get it set up. I was able to do it with a floor pump.
i got the same tires and rims too, and have been wanting to go the tubeless route. one questoion, what kinda pressures you run? :o:

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Hi !
My son's been using this exact setup on his DH bike for 2 years.
While I was on EX823 ....

521 rims + rim strips + Minion or HR ... not a single problem. (except the fact that it's a pain to put on compared to a standard UST rim)
Easy inflation with the weirdest floor pump (not always true with my personal EX823)

I also tried to run some non-UST tires with success, just added some latex + Slime + water mixture .... again a pain when changing tires ... (rim strips + ugly mixture ...)

I strongly recommend the use of those rim strips, unlike an EX823 rim, the 521 (or EX721) will accepts some big indents without loosing any pressure.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ED75 said:
Hi !I strongly recommend the use of those rim strips
rim strips as in the maxxis/stans rims strips ie getto tubeless sysmtem or the rim strips under the actuall tubeless rim strip to help inflation?

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Sorry ?
Could you be more precise ?

I think they are very effective for someone who already has those 521 (or 721) & wanting to go tubeless, as well as excellent to keep the air inside in the worst condition & easy to inflate.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ED75 said:
Sorry ?
Could you be more precise ?

I think they are very effective for someone who already has those 521 (or 721) & wanting to go tubeless, as well as excellent to keep the air inside in the worst condition & easy to inflate.
sorry, they are two types of rim strips, the normall ones you put on the rim to cover the holes so that the tube wont puncher(sp?) and the second one is the tubeless on manufactured by stan, maxxis and some other ppl to allow normall rims to work as tubeless.
i was asking if you ran a few layers or the normall rim strips under the tubeless stan/maxxis strip to "fill up" the drain that the mavic rim. this is recomended by stan so help inflation and also to help the bead to stay on.
edit: you didn't say what pressures you ran the set up at.:p

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
with Stans no tube fluid, you can run any tire you want UST or not.
i use it for everything, XC, DH, Road.
works sooooo good.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
sorry to keep bitching abour this but what kinda pressure do you run on them? coz they will work perfect as long as you run something like 30psi or more, but the problem is that everyone's afraid off is burping which happens at lower pressures... :o:

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
dhkid said:
sorry, they are two types of rim strips
edit: you didn't say what pressures you ran the set up at.:p
Sorry again !
I was not even considering the first item ...
For the pressure, it was my son, 60 kgs, and he was around 2kgs/cm², sure you can go for less but ... well ... be prudent !

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I run about 20 - 25 psi with mine. I have one pedros cloth rim strip under a Maxxis DH1 tubeless rim strip. Like I said no problems, except for being a bit of a bitch to get the tire on there.

SCARY

Not long enough
Being the originator and inventor of the "ghetto tubless"system I can attest that it sucks with the 721 combo.I don't know why,but it does.These are the only rims ive run for years.Of course the whole tubeless thing works great on paper but in real life I don't think it's worth the potential risks if you are a serious racer or if your riding style resembles rennie,kovarick,hill etc.I really,really want it to work,but I can't blow a race cuz I dented a rim or cut a tire.Trail riders and casual racers or superlights maybe.But then,why?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow - thanks for all the input guys - I really appreciate it. :)

Hmmmm... I was wondering about whether or not to use some cloth rim tape under the Maxxis TS(Tubeless System) Strip. I am kind of a weight weenie, so I'd like to avoid doing this if possible.

What do Maxxis TS Rim Strips look like? Do they have a channel in the middle of them, or are they completely flat?

I'm leaning more and more toward running this set-up... and using UST DH tires means no Stan's Sealant or Bonty Super Juice - less mess.

Anyone else have experience with this combo? (EX721/D521 / Maxxis Rim Strips / UST DH tires)

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
first of all i run sun MTX rims with the maxxis strips, no additional strip underneith, and michy comps 16's and 24's, and i love it. I can run like 20 to 24 psi, no problems so far, never burbed it, never cut a tire, havnt flatted yet. Every now and then i feel a rim hit somethin like a rock or a root, but the tire still holds air and i keep on rollin. i dont use that stans liquid either, too messy. But i do use a little bit of soap and water on the bead when i seat it, to make a seal, and after a bit the soap and water dries, so u dont have a mess inside the tire to deal with.

SCARY said:
Being the originator and inventor of the "ghetto tubless"system I can attest that it sucks with the 721 combo.I don't know why,but it does.These are the only rims ive run for years.Of course the whole tubeless thing works great on paper but in real life I don't think it's worth the potential risks if you are a serious racer or if your riding style resembles rennie,kovarick,hill etc.I really,really want it to work,but I can't blow a race cuz I dented a rim or cut a tire.Trail riders and casual racers or superlights maybe.But then,why?
i have some sizable flat spots on my rims, and i still hold air fine, ud have to really bang up a rim before it burbed on ya. and if u cut a tire, theres a good chance it will reach down to the tube, thus a flat. I use to have problems with pinch flats, cuz i really like to run low pressure for the traction, but then id hit a rock wrong, and flat, and this has happened durin races, resulting in DNF's. With tubeless u wont pinchflat, and u save some rotational weight, very important. SInce the tubless conversion, no flats for me, no blown races, and sometimes after a ride ill see im down to 18 psi or somethin, still hasnt burbed, just feels a little soft, but i still tore it up goin down the mt

thats my 2 cents

SCARY

Not long enough
I've burped them in alot of corners.And once rolled the tire right off the rim.My main issueus have been slashing of the tires.Ive probably gone flat 7-10 times before giving up on the whole thing.Granted most of you ride where there is nice dirt and smooth rock.And you so.cal guys don't chime in either unless you ride in Phoenix or Bootleg canyon.The problem seems to be -too little pressure=dented rims-loss of pressure.30+lbs too much pressure=tires won't comply with terrain and will slash open.Now this is fast Dh runs on rough terrain and racing.I don't personally know a semi-pro or pro who uses this consistently on this terrain and successfully.ie-Idaho,Snowmass,bootleg etc etc.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The lightness of tubeless is just so nice but I must agree with Scary. I did have good sucess with Kenda Nevegal 2.5 and 28 psi for a month and a half here at the end of the season but then again I only race expert. I also ran Maxxis High Rollers also non-tubeless last year for a very long time with no problem.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
one thing for sure, steve peat runs a home made tubeless system on his race bike, but then again judging from his size, he would be using quite high pressures. but wouold be nice to know what his specific set up is...

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
i do a lot of ridin at snowshoe wv with this set up, and no problems, incase anyone wanted to know wat kind of terrain i ride it on

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ED75 said:
You should all give your weight, as I think it's as important as the terrain you ride on !
i second that!!! but i think the tires have a higher chance of burping in hard corners, thats what happened to me on my rhyno lite/ maxxis combo.
SCARY, what tire, tire pressure,rim strip did you run? also how was the condition of your rim? pls tell me more coz i want to know the root of your problem... :)

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
SCARY said:
The problem seems to be -too little pressure=dented rims-loss of pressure.30+lbs too much pressure=tires won't comply with terrain and will slash open.Now this is fast Dh runs on rough terrain and racing.I don't personally know a semi-pro or pro who uses this consistently on this terrain and successfully.ie-Idaho,Snowmass,bootleg etc etc.
Our whole team has been running tubeless successfully for two years now. Pro, Semi Pro, & Ex, on the national circuit. Very few issues, much less so than with tubes and their tendency to pinch flat. The tire change is a pain this seems to be the main drawback, but the reduction in rotational weight is great. We have used most of the popular tire brands (mostly non UST) and as long as the bead is good they all work fine.
This being said, I have met some racers who cannot seem to make it work for them. So I suppose rider style must play into it as well. Still we have a guy who crushes rims regularly and loves the tubeless, no problems.
The tires will need a bit more pressure ( 5-8 psi) than w/ tubes, but seem to bite just as well. Very rocky high speed terrain favors dh tires with heavier sidewalls like WTBs or even Intense. The Intense FRO tires are great tubeless, they are the only tires that can still be run down under 20 psi tubeless w/o issues. I find Kenda, Maxxis and Mitchy prefer mid 20s to hold up.
If you like to run super low pressure you're better off with heavy duty dh tubes (or Intense tires). Tires will pinch flat and shred easier without the added support of a tube at low pressure.
We have found that if you are willing to take the time and make some adjustments tubeless works great.
Just our opinion.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
1soulrider said:
. The Intense FRO tires are great tubeless,
You got those things to work?

I won a $20 bet with a guy up here that he wouldn't get them to seal. You're the first person I've heard of who's gotten those things funtional tubeless.

Teach me...... Not so much with the intense tires but how the hell do you get any tubeless to last? I've got about a dozen tires I've tried and I either burp the hell out of them or rip them beyond sealing on my DH bike. What rims?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We use more than advice tape under the Stans rip strip and finish off with rubber rim stip before putting the stans strip on. This will push the tire towards the rim side wall. I recently had big problems installing a used Kenda Nevegal then put the extra rubber stip on and it sealed without a problem.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
um with out gear i weigh 180, so add armor, helmet, camel back, maybe 5 to 10 pounds more? not sure about the additional weight, but minimum of 180lbs

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
kidwoo said:
You got those things to work?

I won a $20 bet with a guy up here that he wouldn't get them to seal. You're the first person I've heard of who's gotten those things funtional tubeless.

Teach me...... Not so much with the intense tires but how the hell do you get any tubeless to last? I've got about a dozen tires I've tried and I either burp the hell out of them or rip them beyond sealing on my DH bike. What rims?
The Intense tires sometimes need to have the bead spread to seal properly. I have stuck a tube in the tire (off the rim) and left it inflated over night to 'open' the tire a bit. This helps offset the super stiff sidewall's tendency to not want to sit up on the rim when inflated. I also always use an air compressor to seat the tires. I have had the best luck w/ rimstrips. I have had burping issues on ust rims w/ lighter tires at lower psi. I have used a number of different rims (521, 321, MTX, Mag30, Ryno lite, Single track), they all seem to work fine if you have the right width strip.
Maybe you are one of those not destined to be successful with tubeless. I'd say try different air pressure & tires, but knowing you I'm sure you have experimented a bit.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
hmmm... so the key thing is to make sure that when using rim strips, to have enough thickness underneath the beads to get them to lock properly...

What if you took a DH strip of Velox, put maybe 2 layers on a rim, and then used an X-Acto or sharp modeling knife to cut away the rim tape in the center of the rim (usually where the channel is on Mavics) leaving behind dual layers of rim tape on either side of the rim close to the beads. Then you would install the Maxxis TS Rim Strip on top of that.

This would save some rotational weight while permitting the bead to seat properly...

But - would doing this also make the tire easier to get on the rim and inflate? Usually the center channel, or center of the rim is where the beads sit before inflation, and I was thinking the smaller the diameter of this center section of the rim, the easier it will be.

What do you guys think of this?