Quantcast

Question About Modifiying My Crank Arm??

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Can i do this to my crank arm without compromising its structual inegrity?

And im doing it because it bent a little bit and now just that little part makes contact with the chainstay and left a rather deep gash and im afraid its going to work through the metal if i leave it how it is:eek:

P.S. the crank are only gonna be used for about another month till i get a new set but all in all id be happy if they last 2 more weeks lol!

Dremel the red section off?

About that far into the crank arm so about 1/4th of its thickness and 1/4 inch long so still a good lenght away from the pedal insert!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well you dont have many options save for filing it down to protect your frame. i have done it a few times, but its hard to tell exactly how much you will be filing from those pictures. just keep a close eye on it.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Maybe stick the crank arm in a vice and try to bend it back? Either way I'd replace it soon.
Its aluminuim,If im not mistaken wont bending it back cause stress fractures and promote the possibily of a complete failure probably resulting in me losing the ability to have children lol

Anyways its getting replaced really soon and it really only needs to last till i get some snow < god i love the simplicity of a snowboard lol!

Thank You for your help though!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
It should be fine. I did that to my crankarm when I had an M3, and I'm still running it now. Plus, when you sit on the bike, the sag should move the chainstay away from the crankarm's reach.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Its aluminuim,If im not mistaken wont bending it back cause stress fractures and promote the possibily of a complete failure probably resulting in me losing the ability to have children lol!

Maybe... You might be able to get away with it once but next time you bend it, it will probably be toast.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
It should be fine. I did that to my crankarm when I had an M3, and I'm still running it now. Plus, when you sit on the bike, the sag should move the chainstay away from the crankarm's reach.
Which option should be fine? Bending it back or filing it down?
Im just gonna get a majority vote then do whatever gets most votes!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK here's a crazy idea: since your crank arm is contacting the frame maybe you have the wrong length BB spindle and need a longer one

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
filing. a lot of guys had to do it with '04/'05 M3s.
Very true. Infact if you look at older DH bikes back when everyone was still running XTR cranks, they all had to be filed in that way because the octalink bbs only came in a quite short spindle.

A buddy of mine has an M3 and has the same issue if he crashes on that sies. The arm is not bent per se, it just shifts on the bb spindle the 1mm so that it touches the seat-stay. He is able to just push/pull (lean the bike over and stand on the crank arm) the end of the crank arm a tiny bit back and it soes not hit.

Give it a big tug and or a little convincing with a big cheater bar (pipe) to see if you can get the arm from hitting..if not, file away. Make sure you keep a good 1mm all the way around the pedal threads.

Lots of cranks have LOTS of extra material at the arm end anyways (same arm for 165 - 180mm arms).

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Get a set of Profile cranks- You can set em up for whatever width you need
they are bomb proof and have a lifetime warranty.

I wouldn't file that down -if everyone jumped their bike off
a bridge would you? Ha
No kiddin' I was a Tech manager and maybe that has me too paranoid
but, we never would resort to eliminating some of a part.
It will definately F#ck with it's integrity. You may get away with it
but you may not and you have a nice bike it shouldn't have to
be filed down to ghetto work.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i cant remember were i herd this but im sure i did. theres a crank that the company made a 170mm and a 175mm and they were the same cranks only difference was were they put the hole for the pedal. so ppljust filed the ends off.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
THANK YOU EVERYONE and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Ill get pics of the mutalation lol in a little bit!