Quantcast

Question about suspension

GiantAC2003

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
i have currently on my 03 ac2 a RockShock Psylo XC w/Tullio and U-Turn, 3-5" travel im wondering if it would throw off the geometry of my bike if i went with a 160 mm or even a 170 mm tripple crown fork ? and if so...would it be a bad geometry change or a good one

S

seespotendo

adding more travel would make the headtube angle slacker. it could put a lot of stress on the frame if the frame isn't built for that much travel. whether the slacker headtube angle is good or bad depends on what you want.
i.e. slacker headtube = better for downhill
a more upright headtube = better for xc

GiantAC2003

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
im gearing more towards freeriding...manybe some minor downhill... it has been a pretty durable frame so far..i heard from another guy that the tripple crown would void the warranty...but its an 03 im pretty sure the warranty is up on it...i am thinking about putting the sherman slider forks on it...i seen some pretty cheap

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
If your the original owner I think you have a lifetime warranty so I would check if a new fork would void it by contacting the shop you bought it from. Get a better fork then the slider I've seen there crowns snap.

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
i had the same exact bike and put a 150mm manitou travis on it and loved it. raked out the front just a bit but still ran it on xc stuff all the time and did great. way better thant he psylo. i say run something 150-160 and stay single crown.

fatrat

Chimp
Aug 16, 2008
N>GA
Have you thought about a long travel single crown? Save weight and still get the extra travel.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get a lyrick or domain, or a z1 or a 36, but not manitou, their seals don't work and end up feeling like poo. and a 150-160 fork will be fine, single crown.

fatrat

Chimp
Aug 16, 2008
N>GA
I have read good and bad things about manitou however I chose one for my current build because I found a sherman breakout 170mm for a killer price. I hope it doesn't suck!

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
clemson do you have or do you know where i can get the sgf components rocker arm upgrade ?
not sure. never actually seen anyone put them on a AC. i used mine for mostly AM and some freeride so i couldn't really justify having that much travel. but if i see any ill let you know.

but just a thing to check first: inspect your chainstay right behind where it pivots on the frame. thats where almost all AC's crack. mine had a hairline crack in it. never actually seperated but i knew a few more big hits and it was gone. id would suck to spend more money on the frame if its already messed up.