Quantcast

question for the austin riders

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
if a new shop was to open in the austin area with a freeridish/urban specialization, what would you want it to be like? what bike lines, what kind of parts and accessories, what kind of ambience in the shop? basically what are you looking for in a shop that all the shops in austin lack. because we all know how fun it is to go in to sport shop and have them not know that tires come wider than 1.95 and then tell us we don't know what we're talking about because we don't shave our legs.....rant over. just thinking:sneaky: :think: ill keep you guys posted.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
dude, i was thinking the exact same freakin thing last night, and was gonna post later today. the shop i had in mind was something like a small Unreal, or maybe like Hammerhead. Unreal-ish might be hard depending on the demand for stuff like that in Austin, but a shop like Hammerhead that had low inventory, but ordered as you wanted, might work. 'course, keep little stuff on hand, but like frames, and complete bike, maybe have 5 or 6 instore. man, i was even gonna use the shaved legs and tire examples. that's weird. as for which lines to carry, i'll post on that later, i gotta get to work.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i would say that the only way to keep something like that going would be to make it into a shop with a large reliance on mail order and internet orders...
sadly, there is just not enough demand in austin alone.
or maybe just be a burly bikes store and carry BMX stuff as well.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
i know that austin can't support a shop that just sells urban hardtails. i'm just thinking about one that specializes in that certain area. dh only shops dont even survive for the most part in colorado. i have the internet orders covered, but that would not be a staple of business....you can't compete with jenson and supergo. i've got a lot of the demographics and logistics figured out. now im just looking for input on what everyone looks for in a shop. its still just a gleam in my eye right now, but ive been doing tons and tons of work and research.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
It would be nice if someone in Austin dealt Rocky Mountain. Driving to Dallas to do any warranty work would suck. Anyhoo, I'd think having an actual storefront would mean selling low-end rigs to keep the rent paid. I'm not in the biz, but that's what it seems like. That suggestion to do mailorder and have a storefront would be sweet. That would give you reason to stock high-end gear and a storefront may not even be needed. Kinda like Trend on 12th. Or a laid-back joint like Teknar on MLK.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Originally posted by toonces
It would be nice if someone in Austin dealt Rocky Mountain. Driving to Dallas to do any warranty work would suck. Anyhoo, I'd think having an actual storefront would mean selling low-end rigs to keep the rent paid. I'm not in the biz, but that's what it seems like. That suggestion to do mailorder and have a storefront would be sweet. That would give you reason to stock high-end gear and a storefront may not even be needed. Kinda like Trend on 12th. Or a laid-back joint like Teknar on MLK.
FireHouse bikes in Austin deals RockyMountain.
I had to warranty a dogbone and they sent it there.

edit: I went to get the link for the web site and there are no more RM bikes on it any more. Maybe they quit carrying them?
Heres the link anyway.
http://www.firemansbikes.com/

LunchBox

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
Texas
Hey Freaks...
The idea is great...hell...I might drive from Fort Worthless for that...
I too, love to go into the "big" shops, with my "pig", and watch them react with disgust..."Do ya'll have a tube for this tire"..."NO"
Things to keep in mind: If the shop was geared more at "extreme" (I hate that term) sports...and include skate boards (a hot seller), BMX, hiking gear, and the like. BUT...sad to say, entry level bikes, and huffy-repairs are gonna pay the rent. As far as mail order...who the hell DOES'NT support their LBS???
My LBS owner/buddy is always lookin for hot deals for DH/FR gear...mail order must die!!!
"SouthWest Golf and Sport" talk to JIM
(817) 641-7858
*Jim is a closet-case freerider...he won't admit it...and he finds stellar deals.

PS...GO TO BAR-H ON SUNDAY THE 21st!!!
BRIAN...THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CHICKS TO STRIKE OUT WITH HERE IN FORT WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
alright moving right along to the next question.

location?

i have a few ideas in mind and have started to scout around. i know from experience that georgetown can and will support a bike shop, but the question remains if people will come that far north. another option is the cedar park/lakeline mall area. i definitely want to try to stay northish (sic).

oronde, lemme know what you have to input.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
to be honest, i would probably mail order before driving to georgetown and/or lakeline area (living in austin 16 years has spoiled me in regards to the distances i am willing to drive for anything.
if it was me i would definitely keep it south of braker-- maybe somewhere on anderson... but that's just me

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
I drive as far north as Buck's Bikes every once in a while, but Cedar Park/Lakeline would be murder. 183 is death in that area. Maybe once they finish all that construction it won't be so bad tho. If north is good, how bout on around the Burnet/Lamar/Anderson Ln area? Lots of shopping centers and easy access from 183, I-35, and Mopac. Plus it'll be the closest shop to where I live! :)