Quantcast

Question for the Women - NBR

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Since I'm not gonna have any more kids, I've been thinking of donating my eggs to a fertility center. There is a hospital here that is pushing for donors, due to the lack there of. Does anyone know anyone that's done this and can give me some info on it? I've heard it can be painful.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
There are what seems to be a ton of clinics around here.
You have to read the whole process.... one of the things you might have to do for months is come in weekly and be checked on. Does that fit your lifestyle?

I would imagine that it involves some bit of pain. That makes sense.

I once considered doing it, but that whole responsibility thing started banging away at me. Around here it looks like anonymous donors may not be anonymous for long.... there are groups of women looking for one single sperm donor (who 'fathered' a ton of kids). Some other people who have received donations are trying to get hold of the donors looking for medical history, which is fine and all, but I can easily see this as turning into some sort of legal thing where the kid has a right to know who it's true parents are.... and then they're banging on your door.

call me cynical, but in the society we live in, I think it would be quite hard to remain anonymous.

I don't have kids.
Not planning on having kids (anytime soon).
Sure as hll don't want to be responsible for something I did 20 yrs earlier as a gift.

But mostly, that's my opinion.

If I were you, I would do a whole lot of research.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would second the notion of doing a LOT of research. I doubt that any donor would remain completely anonymous. Human nature is to try to find answers to our questions and I am sure that the child will have questions one day.

I don't personally know if I could donate to a clinic as I would fear that someday I would want to know if a child was born of my egg and that could just get complicated for everyone involved.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've thought about it as well and for some of the same reasons as mentioned above kinda gave the idea up.... not to mention that at 32 I'm close to (if not over) some of the age limits.

If my egg was used, I don't think I'd want someone finding me later down the road and feeling a parental connection to me. I am very much of the mind that your parents are who raised you, not who's dna is in you. I can understand the whole family medical history part, but that should be part of your records from what I can gather. Some have some very strict criteria of family history, personal history, etc. I've even seen some that require you to be height/weight proportinate, provide school records, that type of stuff. I can understand that people want to use the best donors out there, I just don't feel like being put under a microscope for it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I tried to donated my eggs about 5yrs ago, when I was 26. I was turned down because my birth father was adopted. I got about half way though the paperwork side of it before that. You have to very extensive informations of ALL of your immediate family’s medical back ground.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I would have no problem donating my eggs.

Y

yadadada

It's something I'd "like" to do because I feel for those who go through infertility issues. But at the same time, it would scare me to think that someday i might come face to face with a child conceived with my egg. That's something that I don't think I'd be prepared to deal with. It takes so much more than DNA to be a parent, but that still doesn't stop a lot of people from exploring where they came from.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I think that people with infertility issues should help out the children that are already here on earth and adopt, rather than have their own "selfish" reasons for having to actually birth someone else's child themselves...

but I don't have children, won't have children myself, and may adopt if my life slows down enough to bother trying to be a decent parent...

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
well thanks everyone for the advice. for me, it wouldn't bother me having someone looking me up one day. i am comfortable in knowing that it was done with a heart of compassion and since i already have kids...i'm ok with there being other kids out there of mine...i would imagine anyone going through such trouble to have a child...should make a good parent. however one of you mentioned about family background...and well...mine is a good mystery on my dad's side...so perhaps i wouldn't be considered. gonna look into it though. just wondered if there was anyone who actually DID the procedure.

thanks again mud hunnies!!!