Quantcast

question for those of you with 5" 'trail' bikes, running 2x9...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm running a 22-32 front and an 11-34 rear. I find myself in the 32-11 range which probably puts a bit of undue wear on the drive train. At some point I'll change the front 32 to a 34 or 36 which should straighten out the chain line in my most used gear range.

I really like having the 22 in front and the 34 in back to spin up climbs.

I ride a good mix of urban and trails and a little DH here and there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Westy said:
I use big/small and small/big on my bike all the time. You know for the hills, going up and down.
Yeah if you are riding on a smooth boring surface like the road :blah:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are times when I wish I still had three rings and 42 or 44 to hammer along on rolling stuff or when I ride the road to the trails. And pedaling performance improves on some bikes with larger chainrings - like my heckler.

But on balance, right now I like the extra clearance, bash guard, shorter der, and shorter chain with the 2X9.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My answer may not count since I am riding a 6" travel bike. And I am an old guy poser whose skills don't live up to the bike but I run a 24/36/bash up front and an 11/32 rear with the biggest cog locked out (I've dumped the chain into the spokes too many times. This is just easier) I am planning on switching to a road cassette soon.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I have a Truvativ bashguard that is made to mount directly to the third chainring - its got a huge flange on it and everything. It actually took me a really long time to figure out why a bashguard like that was even made.

Here's a pic of it next to a 44t chainring (I think its made for one up to a 42, but you get the idea).

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
My answer may not count since I am riding a 6" travel bike. And I am an old guy poser whose skills don't live up to the bike but I run a 24/36/bash up front and an 11/32 rear with the biggest cog locked out (I've dumped the chain into the spokes too many times. This is just easier) I am planning on switching to a road cassette soon.
I thought that too, since I have a 6" bike, but I went anyway. It's just Dustin. :think:

*learn to tune your bike up. If you can limit it from getting to the top cog, you can limit it from going past the top cog, dummy.

**better yet - you stick to the D & D games and let us work on bikes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I thought that too, since I have a 6" bike, but I went anyway. It's just Dustin. :think:

*learn to tune your bike up. If you can limit it from getting to the top cog, you can limit it from going past the top cog, dummy.

**better yet - you stick to the D & D games and let us work on bikes.
I know HOW to do it. And I've done it before... I'm just too LAZY to do it. :eviltongu

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
I know HOW to do it. And I've done it before... I'm just too LAZY to do it. :eviltongu
OK - let's try this again. Focus some of your energy working on your bike instead of making boots, armour, and a mace that crushes bones.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
OK - let's try this again. Focus some of your energy working on your bike instead of making boots, armour, and a mace that crushes bones.
OK. That was really funny because I looked down and in my hands is a pair of boots that I am making. :p