Quantcast

question for you Audi owners

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Don't forget the diesel tax you gotta pay on the price of the car itself...
You can recover it, or even do better when you sell the car though. Here's some sample private party sales numbers for a 2006 Jetta with 100k miles from Edmunds.
TDI - $9020
2.5 - $6158

So, $2860 more for the TDI. Buying new, the TDI costs $1800 more. So it more than pays for itself there. Along the way you also get better performance and mileage.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You can recover it, or even do better when you sell the car though. Here's some sample private party sales numbers for a 2006 Jetta with 100k miles from Edmunds.
TDI - $9020
2.5 - $6158

So, $2860 more for the TDI. Buying new, the TDI costs $1800 more. So it more than pays for itself there. Along the way you also get better performance and mileage.
People are retards. Especially in Boulder. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm not saying that the OP should buy the Audi--that's just retarded as are most premium price European vehicles, IMO. A TDI wagon would be a better idea, if you can keep the sunroof/lights/windows operational and in the closed position, respectively.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I'm not saying that the OP should buy the Audi--that's just retarded as are most premium price European vehicles, IMO. A TDI wagon would be a better idea, if you can keep the sunroof/lights/windows operational and in the closed position, respectively.
well In the almost two years we have had the Sportwagen TDI there have been zero issues with any of the cars systems...just sayin

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You seem to get either a good VW/Audi or a really bad one and if they aren't in warranty they can seriously cripple you financially. My sister was lucky and VW replaced about 3k worth of faulty electrical stuff just after the warranty had lapsed, they still have a third car as a spare just in case the VW gets spastic again.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Right so think about this. I'm going to bet the A4 doesn't run on regular unleaded. Therefore with fuel prices being equal do you want the car that gets 45mpg on the freeway or the one that gets 30 and costs more to buy used than the high fuel mileage one new??
this is an important factor in what I decide to buy. my round trip for work is almost 50 miles a day. plus I enjoy going for drives every now and then. I'm not dead set on getting an Audi, like I said before, I've liked the looks of it but don't really know much about them. same goes for diesel. nice mpg but still no knowledge/experience with diesel engines. what I do know I won't buy is a Prius type car or full electric. but thanks to all of you for your opinions and such.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You like the looks of Audi, don't know much about them, and someone know that a Prius type car isn't for you. By all means, go lease an Audi or a 3 Series (sorry, Tim :D ) and impress your friends.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
just get what you enjoy driving.
You forget about the Prestige, Privilege, that comes with driving an expensive high performance German Automobile. Nothing says I am on the verge of paying off my student loans like taking on more debt for a expensive car.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
what a bunch of buzzkills...

I've resigned myself to driving lame cars from now on. get me a semi decent car if it means I can still afford to do more-than-decent stuff when I arrive...

worth it.

But I did get a silly-nice bike. I regret nothing.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A car is just basic transportation to get you to work and to where you can go play with your fun toys
while I agree with you, not everyone will share this pearl of wisdom.

I should also note that I find it funny that the car referred to as the sportswagon in the US is called the Golf Wagon in Canada... no need to try and sell it to the "sporty kids" here...

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
You like the looks of Audi, don't know much about them, and someone know that a Prius type car isn't for you. By all means, go lease an Audi or a 3 Series (sorry, Tim :D ) and impress your friends.
i don't think a lease is an option. don't most leases limit you to 12k miles a year? if that's the case i'm screwed. also, i'm not looking to impress my friends. if i wanted to do that i'd buy a used Aston Martin DB9

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I should also note that I find it funny that the car referred to as the sportswagon in the US is called the Golf Wagon in Canada... no need to try and sell it to the "sporty kids" here...
I thought I was the only one thinking "what the F is the 'sportwagon'?", it's not like a CTS-V or Jag Shooting Brake

there's no question that from an utilitarian, practical, and reliability point of view, German autos lags far behind Japanese (and maybe now domestic) autos. My Audi S4, eats premium gas, and just recently cost me nearly $2K for a fried starter. But from a driving experience and performance point of view, it kicks major ass.

I'm lucky enough to have a skillset that pays well. So the S4 is my 2nd car. Really only used for my short commute, Audi club drives, the occasional track day, and date nights out with the wife to nice restaurants. My other auto is a rock solid Tacoma, which I drive the most for bike/dirtbike hauling, shuttling, and the occasional run to home depot.

As long as you go into the purchase with the right finances, and a realistic expectation, it's all good.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
what a bunch of buzzkills...

I've resigned myself to driving lame cars from now on. get me a semi decent car if it means I can still afford to do more-than-decent stuff when I arrive...

worth it.

But I did get a silly-nice bike. I regret nothing.
Life is too short to drive something lame. While my car isn't the most practical, it sure as hell a lot of fun to drive. Last weekends road trip to see mom was 1720 miles in 4 days and when I got home, my average MPG was 28.6. Granted, space is limited, but I was able to fit 2 cases of wine and 2 wine racks in the back to take home from my dad's collection.

My truck got 15mpg, so by doubling my fuel mileage, it freed up $250 to cover almost all of the car payment, so owning it is almost a push.

So far no issues other than it burns a little oil (issues with the 2001 engine redesign). It's American made and I can get parts for it damn near anywhere should I need some.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: gas costs covering payment: Insurance is free, eh? :D
Actually, not free but damn cheap. I now have the truck, the bike, the boat, and the car under the same policy. It was $48/month for 10 months to add the car.

So it does cost me about $100/month above what the truck costs, but it also is a wee bit more fun to drive than my 3/4 ton 4x4. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fair enough. I'm in favor of spending more than the minimum to do/drive what you want (see my Land Cruiser), but I'm also in favor of making this choice explicitly, knowing that it's costing you more.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I missed my old car a lot. I have owned many cars (average one a year) but none were nearly as fun to drive as my Corvette was and considering I only paid $4k for it, it was amazing. I honestly didn't see myself getting another one, at least not any time soon until my lady mentioned how fun it would be to road trip in. After doing a TON of research on reliability and advances of the '01+ compared to my '94, I started looking. When I saw the going price for one, it was a no-brainer.

I was showing it off to a buddy back home this weekend. He thought I was full of crap when I told him what they cost. So I pulled up CL for his area and found 5 of them for less then $15k, one was $11k with only 90k miles.

I had the top off all weekend in Cali, it was awesome.