Quantcast

Question on ovalized head tube?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Hi folks -- I'm thinking about buying a high-end DJ frame for a really good deal. I was about to pay quite a bit for it, but the owner when taking it apart realized slight ovalization of the lower bearing (it's an integrated head tube). He seems like a good guy and was candid about the fact that the head tube top bearing is tight, but the lower bearing can move front to back about a millimeter. One point is that he had no idea of this until he took it apart (probably from the pre-load of the headset keeping it together). He said the previous owner was a team member and probably ran it hard, but he didn't and wasn't aware of the problem. So, my question is: should I stay clear regardless of the great price or should I just use it since he says there's no play in it when he uses it; or could I have something done to the HT to correct it (short of replacing the whole thing)? Thanks for reading all that :)

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
If it was a normal press in style head tube where the headset is completely seperate, then you might be able to work with it. But given the nature of DJ abuse AND it being an IH model headtube I'd say steer clear of it especially if you ride hard yourself. Not worth the cost of having something go very wrong givien there's already 1mm worth of play in it.
Between RM, PB, MTBR, and other MTB sites I'm sure you'll come across another good deal that has no issues.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Yep, integrated HS is a no-go. Press in style has some options. Chris King even makes oversized cups that come in handy in this situation.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I wouldn't touch it. If the head tube is ovalized, what else on the frame has been compromised? It's been ridden hard if the ht is damaged.