Quantcast

question

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
my fork/headset just started creaking and i've done everything i can think of to get it to stop creaking. from what i've found the bearing race is making the noise, any ideas on how to make it stop its really pissing me off.

cyclenski23

Chimp
Dec 7, 2009
Depends on a couple things, if it is the headset, try some grease/lube.
If its a demo, you may have to put loctite on the headset cup(on the art that touches the frame), then put back into frame. Thats one things that worked for me.
Otherwise, double check all other points of pivot, creaks, ect

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Hardtails can still sqeak, im not saying it isnt the fork, but that doesnt mean its not the BB, hub, cranks, pedals, ect. I agree with above, extra grease-it wont hurt it, why not do it
i just put the new cranks on and greased everything as i put the cranks on but it still creaks like crazy i got one more thing i wanna check then im gonna pull the headset and re grease were it contacts the frame.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
i just put the new cranks on and greased everything as i put the cranks on but it still creaks like crazy i got one more thing i wanna check then im gonna pull the headset and re grease were it contacts the frame.
If its a threaded BB, then maybe plummer's tape is your solution.

I just put new cranks on my euro (threaded) BB. When I did the research, many were saying to use a bit of plummer's tape on the BB threads. So I did. I have only ridden it around the block so far, but I have not encountered any squeaks.

As far as your headset, I'm not sure. The above replies make sense..

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
any one got any ideas, the only thing i have found is older fox forks creak. i did spend about 45 min looking for cracks so i feel confident thats not it. i think it will have to go to the shop tuesday to see if they got an idea.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
If you're going to go through all the trouble of removing all headset parts for a re-install, may as well remove the crown race from your fork as well. Just to clean off the steerer tube and seat it properly. Can't hurt.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
If you're going to go through all the trouble of removing all headset parts for a re-install, may as well remove the crown race from your fork as well. Just to clean off the steerer tube and seat it properly. Can't hurt.
i actually all ready pulled it, cleaned it and re greased it... still nothing:think:.
what do you mean by seated properly? as in like all the way down and even?

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
yes, having worked at a few shops in the past sometimes you'd come across some crown races that werent' pressed fully. It's not likely to happen if you set it with a tool, but some home mechanics will just use a hammer and not install it fully..