Quantcast

Questions about bootleg:

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
So im probably gonna head up to bootleg with my uncle on may 5th in the morning, and ride during the day. Im wondering how feasable shuttling some of the DH runs is without actually having a shuttle vehicle? Also, how you you get to the trailhead? I couldn't find that on the website. Are some of the DH runs doable on a mild XC bike, or should my uncle stick to the xc trails only? I know my bike will handle the easy DH with no troble, but i dont want to make my unc have no fun. Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone wants to ride on may 5th, friday, ill be up there!

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
All Mountain Cyclery (the local LBS) runs a shuttle truck on the weekends or you can shuttle yourselves. There is a short hike to the start of the DH trails. I wouldn't go with the XC bike unless you're a "good" rider. Bootleg is a lot of rock...crashing could have consequences. It's fun has many options DH and XC. The LBS has maps and if it's your first time there...get one.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Depends on how well your bike climbs... but you could ride to the top. You probably won't get too many runs in b/c it'll wear you out fast... then again, that's only based on my personal climbing ability (or lack of...).

Best deal is as Edgy said - LBS Shuttle. They have a single run price, half day and full day. But I'm not sure if they run it on Friday... call the shop, they are very helpful.

XC bike on the DH would probably end poorly... there are more than enough XC trails to hit, and I hear they are fun and challenging.

You can get trail maps and info here - http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Slugman said:
Depends on how well your bike climbs... but you could ride to the top. You probably won't get too many runs in b/c it'll wear you out fast... then again, that's only based on my personal climbing ability (or lack of...).

Best deal is as Edgy said - LBS Shuttle. They have a single run price, half day and full day. But I'm not sure if they run it on Friday... call the shop, they are very helpful.

XC bike on the DH would probably end poorly... there is more than enough XC trails to hit, and I hear they are fun and challenging.

You can get trail maps and info here - http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/
My buddy was out there last weekend shuttling the DH runs on an FSRxc with 4 inches in the front. While he was walking a lot of sections, he still had fun and didnt hurt himself. Full face is a must however, and some pads are highly reccomended. Just go to the LBS and rent some demo 9s or stinkys you'll have way more fun and you won't die.