Quantcast

Questions about buying a used moto-x bike

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Went to the track on Saturday on my buddies kx450f and had an awesome time. I can barely walk today but damn I can't wait to go again.

I'm definitely buying a 450 4 stroke. My budget is probably between 2k and 4k on the very high side, I'd like to keep it somewhere in the middle. I think this has me looking at 2002 - 2005 or somewhere around there. What I'd like to know is there any brands or years in particular that I should stay away from?

I've heard that CRFs had some issues the first couple years and I should stay away from the earlier ones. Any truth to that? I haven't heard anything bad about any of the other brands.

It sounds like with the new bikes it's pretty much pick whatever color you like because they are all good and equal but was it that way 5 - 8 years ago?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well me personally, I like the CRF 450R (I actually own an '05 crf 250r). My buddy has an '04 and he maintains it when you're supposed to and never has any problems with the bike. Just personally, I'd stick with a Honda...I like the way they ride, especially if you're going to be riding tracks all the time. I've cased the living crap out of a 110' jump and the bike just soaks it up. CRF's all the way!!

Now if you're going to ride trails, I'd go for a KTM without a doubt but those are on the pricey side. I'm going to sell my 250 and get a KTM 300 (two stroke).

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I'll probably be doing a mix of track and trails, most likely more track but from what I've heard the trails around where I live are pretty amazing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You could probably find an '08-'09 YZ450 for around that range right now. One of the best suspension platforms I've ever tried and a solid motor in it too. Just hold out for a bike that has proper maintenance history on it. A used 4-stroke can get VERY expensive if it needs replacement parts in the top or bottom end.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
You could probably find an '08-'09 YZ450 for around that range right now. One of the best suspension platforms I've ever tried and a solid motor in it too. Just hold out for a bike that has proper maintenance history on it. A used 4-stroke can get VERY expensive if it needs replacement parts in the top or bottom end.

That's good to know. I'm definitely a yamaha fan. It's been a few years but my last bike was a yz250. What is regular maintenance on these 4 strokes?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Oil, air filter, and valve tolerances.

Nowadays when it comes to 4 strokes, just pick a color. The bikes are all so similar that it really doesn't matter all that much what brand you go with.

That's what I keep hearing but how about 5 years ago, was that the case then as well?

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
That's what I keep hearing but how about 5 years ago, was that the case then as well?
I personally would go with a Honda but you can't go wrong with a Yamaha from that time period either. What ever you get I would recommend an aluminum framed bike.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
KTM kool-aid drinker here, suggesting a pumpkin.

Honestly they're dead reliable bikes, I have 50 hours of abuse on my 250xcf-w and the valves are still to spec. No linkage/needle bearing to worry about greasing etc. Plus I can kick start it in a pair of tennis-shoes (and I'm a tender footed pansy).

Not to say my dad's 02 CRF 450 was fairly reliable... biggest problem is it would almost never start once it got hot, don't know how many GNCC's he didn't finished because it would flame out and never start back. My brother's 250x on the other hand, needed constant valve adjustment, one day it just wouldn't start and randomly needed a top end rebuild with very low hours. Even with a R piston and "stage 1" hot cam the bike feels anemic after riding my KaTooM.

Honestly you really can't wrong as long as you the bike has been maintained and isn't a WR426.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Honestly you really can't wrong as long as you the bike has been maintained and isn't a WR426.
That's the kind of model specific info I'm looking for. What's up with the WR426? Does that mean I should also stay away from the yzf version? I've seen a few of those in my price range.

As much as I like the KTMs and have heard great stuff about them I'm just not sure it's in the budget right now. I haven't seen too many of their SX bikes for what I'm looking to spend.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
The WR's are heavy, heavy bikes, and are renown for not starting once the motor is up to temperature. Four strokes in general have a bad rap for not starting while hot, but I've never had a problem starting mine, and I barely have enough meat on my bones to lift thing up (5'-4" 120lbs). My friend bought one, rode it once, and sold it the next week...

I'm not sure if you have to be registered to view them, but try looking on the classifieds on KTMtalk and other message boards to see if you can find a sweet deal.

http://ktmtalk.com/pp_classifieds/showcat.php?cat=21

There's another website my friends like to use since they seem to go through bikes like crazy but I can't remember it right now.

EDIT: one bad thing about KTM's is they're more temperamental when it comes to weather and getting the jetting right. Nothing a JD jet kit and some know-how can't fix though.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
EDIT: one bad thing about KTM's is they're more temperamental when it comes to weather and getting the jetting right. Nothing a JD jet kit and some know-how can't fix though.

That's good to know, that could be a problem. This bike will probably be ridden anywhere from 50 degree to 100 degrees and probably at a wide range of high elevations too. The newer fuel injected bikes don't really have any issues with that, right?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some of the FI bikes have issues when you do a lot of elevation changes, but you would have to be doing a lot of variation to notice. I loved my YZ450 (06 50th edition) but it was hard to start if the gas sat for more than a few days. It was fun in the woods, never was a dunes guy and never tried it on a track.

I love KTM's, but the new Husaberg's with the inverted motor is what I want. I'm waiting for the KTM EV, too.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
That's good to know, that could be a problem. This bike will probably be ridden anywhere from 50 degree to 100 degrees and probably at a wide range of high elevations too. The newer fuel injected bikes don't really have any issues with that, right?
It isn't a huge deal, only time I ran into problems is when it starts to get below 30F I had to run it with choke on to get it to stay running, once it gets around 60 degrees or so outside I get a retarded loud "lean pop" under engine braking but it still runs ok. I'd recommend a JD jet kit for any bike you get though, it comes with instructions for how to jet for your weather/elevation.

I don't know much about other FI system's, but KTM's tunes the bike while idling for 30 seconds or so everytime you ride. I know my friend Suzuki quad (ltr? i don't remember) doesn't do that but it seemed to run fine in cold weather.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
get a 250 2 stroke ktm. $180 puts a top end (forged wiseco and cometic) in it and you're good for a least season of recreational riding.

Trailslug46

Monkey
May 14, 2006
Indiana
I have a 2000 YZ426F that I converted to street legal and I ride the tires off it, literally. It's not unusual for me to jump on the bike and ride a couple hundred miles. I had the valves, valve springs, timing chain, piston, and clutch replaced just to freshen up the motor. All that plus the head ported was $1000. The bike has never left me stranded and as far as being hard to start when hot, I've only had to use the hot start button a couple times.